Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

XBox General

Not cheap enough

Still trying to remove used titles from the equation I see. 

Honestly, who is this for? Xbone users have their hard copies that can't be used on it and people who don't have an xbone can get a used one cheaper thses days AND take advantage of used titles for cheap games. 

This has no niche in the market right now... If it had been an option at launch it'd be a different story, but this gen is in it's twilight. I just can't wrap my head around their logic here. 

Maybe the official name will help make sense. It's the XBox One S - All Digital (or XBox One SAD).

• ROFL 1

10 hours ago, Galeigh said:

Still trying to remove used titles from the equation I see. 

Really don't think that's it.  They're not forcing it on anyone.  If the next XBOX has no disc drive then I'll agree but Microsoft (gaming division at least) has been a lot friendlier since Spencer took over.

I really don't know who this is for though.  Why would you specifically want an XBOX with no disc drive?  I can see buying games digitally but like...all the One S consoles on Amazon right now are LESS than 250.  Granted the "retail" price is 300 but I really don't think that is worth it lol.  At least you can still use discs if you WANT to so you can like borrow shit from friends or watch blurays/4k blurays.

6 hours ago, MT said:

Maybe the official name will help make sense. It's the XBox One S - All Digital (or XBox One SAD).

Perfect. :rotfl:

The discless model comes off, to me, as MS prepping the market for their next gen console to be strictly download only.  Which seems exactly like the dumbass decision a company like MS would make. 

I wouldn't be completely surprised but since Sony just revealed they're still doing discs for PS5...less likely.

It's hard to get that mad.  Point to me where your physical PC discs are. :P

Honestly, in recent years I've realized that the 3 dollars I could get back isn't worth it.  If you're gonna sell you gotta drop that shit while it's hot like a month after tops or it's completely worthless. :shrug:

Sharing is easy via Steam too.   I dunno.  It wouldn't be the end of the world tbh as long as the company I get it from digitally can be trusted (which is debatable with Microsoft or Sony).

My physical ps4 discs are lined up on the shelf under the ps4.

I am not mad at MS, just super confused as to how they thought this was a good idea. 

They thought it was a good idea when they announced the XBox One originally.

1 hour ago, webhead said:

Point to me where your physical PC discs are. :P

1 hour ago, Galeigh said:

My physical ps4 discs are lined up on the shelf under the ps4

Close but no.  I'm just saying ultimately we're pretty used to it and the value of used discs is basically a large fry at a burger place.

1 hour ago, MT said:

They thought it was a good idea when they announced the XBox One originally.

To be fair that was completely different management.  We'll see when they announce Xbox Two.  Don't think people are going to like that.  Consoles are supposed to be easy.  Putting in a disc is the easy no bullshit way.

Do you guys think MS gets out of the console business sooner than later? Lots of their games are also playable on Windows 10, and they've got some stuff coming over to Switch. Maybe they don't need to be putting out hardware. 

I think they want to keep putting out hardware as long as they're making money.  Windows 10 and XBOX compatibility back and forth just means it's easier for their games division to make money.

Like putting out a console means cheap gaming for people that aren't computer people.  The casuals.  It's a much bigger market imo and they'd be insane to just cede it to Sony.

7 hours ago, little birdy said:

Do you guys think MS gets out of the console business sooner than later? Lots of their games are also playable on Windows 10, and they've got some stuff coming over to Switch. Maybe they don't need to be putting out hardware. 

I assume everyone's eventually just going to be making their own version of Steam Boxes, every game will be available on as many platforms as possible, and they'll just offer discounts on their own services and exclusives to entice people to buy their specific brand.

It'll take us a while yet to get there (I think?) but it wouldn't surprise me either. I'm totally on board for all-digital.

I'm not with our data caps :uhoh:

Unless data compression improves

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, little birdy said:

It'll take us a while yet to get there (I think?) but it wouldn't surprise me either. I'm totally on board for all-digital.

I will be, in about 15 years when ISPs, infrastructure, and data laws are caught up. 

When we stop having data caps this will be more reasonable.  That being said, there are still countries that will benefit from physical media because they have shitty internet.  Not sure how long that will go on.

I really don't see Nintendo and Sony not making consoles.  I could see XBOX eventually turning into a windows gaming machine thing though.

1 hour ago, webhead said:

That being said, there are still countries that will benefit from physical media because they have shitty internet.

And/or ridiculous digital media specific taxes.

Everything shown at today's Inside XBox

Kyle will be happy to know they showed a trailer for the Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2. Overall kind of an underwhelming reveal stream. They prefaced it by saying that a lot of what they were showing was in engine, but what they "expect" it to look like. So that kind of put a damper on things right from the start. 

Scorn looks like it took all the spooky parts of Alien movies and made it worse, NOPE

Chorvs/Chorus looks cool as fuck

Nintendo Direct-style is the perfect way to use a celeb/athlete, no live-crowd awkwardness

>The Medium

>"Hi, we're working with a dude best known for Silent Hill"

NOPE

>Scarlet Nexus

Looks like what little I know of Control mixed with anime bullshit, so it looks cool as fuck

>Yakuza

YOSHHHH, making sure to make a point that "we have Japanese games too, guys, honest"

I dunno if it'll carve out a better spot for Xbox this generation, but the Smart Delivery/forwards-and-backwards compatible thing is probs the coolest pro-consumer thing Xbox has spearheaded and it's about time something like that exists.

They couldn't come up with a better name than Xbox Series X? (Clearly I don't keep up with this stuff :lurk:)

No the name is fucking retarded in line with what Microsoft usually does when naming shit.

Stream was fairly underwhelming and very boring at the end.  Scorn looked crazy as fuck but there's a 0% chance I'll ever play it.  Scarlet Nexus was the only thing the stood out as something I'd maybe play (on PC lol).

16 minutes ago, little birdy said:

They couldn't come up with a better name than Xbox Series X? (Clearly I don't keep up with this stuff :lurk:)

Not only that, but there's rumours that apparently they're going to also release the Series S, a cheaper/lower-powered version of the Series X to replace the One S/One X so Grandma won't have a meltdown at Wal-Mart when she goes to pick up the new XBox for her grandson and is faced with a wall that reads "XBox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S" all in the same display.

2 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Not only that, but there's rumours that apparently they're going to also release the Series S, a cheaper/lower-powered version of the Series X to replace the One S/One X so Grandma won't have a meltdown at Wal-Mart when she goes to pick up the new XBox for her grandson and is faced with a wall that reads "XBox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S" all in the same display.

Good grief

tenor.gif?itemid=10296718

Microsoft should have learned YEARS ago to just run with their code names. Those were always 10x cooler sounding. 'Scorpio' and 'Scarlet' being the two that immediately come to mind at least. Still make no fucking sense but at least it stands out. XD 

And yes, I was very excited about the Bloodlines 2 trailer. Even if it didn't really look like it belonged in a big 'look at all the pretty next gen stuff' type of showcase. >_>

Halo Infinite looks cool as fu tbh.

I dunno, I like XBax and what they seem to be doing with next-gen more than Playstation, but I like more of Playstation's exclusives (at least I think I do) and Microsoft always seems to miss out on Japanese games.

I'm happy Microsoft seems to be branching out and also that all their games come to PC.  I look forward to playing Halo infinite on PC.  I'm hoping it's a lot better than Halo 5 because that game was garbage.

indeed, the aborted fetus that was 5 is best left retconned and forgotten.

4 wasn't much better though.

Kind of a weird looking thing. I like the white controller though.

The only reason anyone cares is because this might give hints on the Series X and PS5 prices. :rotfl:

2 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Looks like a washing machine

I was thinking a speaker or a small tower fan

$500 for the more powerful XBox Series X

That's about what I was thinking it would be. Watch Sony come in 50 bucks cheaper than both options.

• Like 1

That would be sweet if they came in cheaper.  I HIGHLY doubt the discless system is going to come in under 300 though.  Matching 300 is a possibility but more likely 450/350.  Disc drives cost like 30 bucks. :rotfl:

But these disk drives are SPECIAL. Because of all the [buzz words]! Clearly, they must cost at least $60. :koffing: 

All I know is there's no way they can chop 150 or 200 off the price just because of the disc drive.  That's peanuts. :rotfl: