Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Galeigh

Overwatch

I was playing some custom games last night and tried the new hero. gotta say, I'm not impressed.

He's easily one of the best balanced heroes they've ever released. You just don't care for him or what?

I don't think his style is for me honestly. I totally see why is a solid hero on paper, but it just doesn't translate for me. 

I tend to play very aggro type heroes: roadhog, tracer, ashe, and mei as an example. So someone whose whole schtick is stand around and protect his team doesn't click with me. This is also why I avoid most supports in general, with particular distaste for Mercy. 

That's fair. I play a lot of support personally but get pretty aggressive. I like him but I can't get a lot of value with him because I can't hit shit with his gun at the moment though I have the healing down pretty well. I like his kit a lot but I probably won't pick him up for now.

I still haven't got around to trying him out yet. I haven't played for a few weeks now, but I've gone hard into a Symmetra phase on ps4. She is so much more viable on console, especially when you teleport people up onto ledges. Kings Row on attack, getting people up onto the balcony behind the statue can be really effective

I love Symmetra. Favorite strategy on King's Row attack right now for my friends and I is to teleport a Bastion onto the head of the statue at the first point and sow confusion. XD

My main go to's right now are Brigitte and Moira for healing and Pharah and Mei for DPS but I'll pull Sym or Ashe depending on the situation.

For healing, it's Moira for me. I do like Brigette, but I just can't get her to work as well as I'd like. My second DPS pick after Symmetra is Tracer, usually on something like Volskya Industries attack. So many people still don't realise you can get behind the defenders if you blink around the side. You CAN port there with Sym to be fair, but Tracer gives me a higher chance of survival when distracting everyone.

12 hours ago, Galeigh said:

I don't think his style is for me honestly. I totally see why is a solid hero on paper, but it just doesn't translate for me. 

I tend to play very aggro type heroes: roadhog, tracer, ashe, and mei as an example. So someone whose whole schtick is stand around and protect his team doesn't click with me. This is also why I avoid most supports in general, with particular distaste for Mercy. 

Hm this is definitely similar to me.  Guess the new guy probably won't work for me either.  I absolutely hate standing around playing defense. :rotfl:

3 hours ago, Ulyster said:

So many people still don't realise you can get behind the defenders if you blink around the side.

It's also a hell of a lot of fun to do that as Junkrat.

Ashe has really grown on me lately. She smoothly flows between close range combat and sniping. Her fire rate is super fast too, so if you can hold aim on their head its game over no matter who they are or how far away they are. 

I've not played Baptiste more than a couple of times yet, but I think I could grow to like him! I like all the healers except Ana (who I like aesthetically I'm just shit at sniping lmao). 

Fave heals = Moira, Lucio, Brigitte

Fave tanks = Zarya, Orisa, D.va

Fave dps = Symmetra, Mei, Soldier 76

Ones I'm shit with but want to get better at = Widowmaker, Pharah, Ashe, Sombra, Baptiste, Mercy, Zenyatta, Reinhardt, Wrecking Ball

I should really get back into Overwatch one of these days...still haven't tried out Batiste.

• Like 1

Neat. Wish I had more patience for messing with this kind of thing.

Side note for those that don't know, the Archive event is going now which is their yearly pve event that they add to each time. Fun if you're interested in the story at all.

• Like 1

I haven't had time to watch the full video but what i've read about it doesn't sound so good to me. The idea is sound, I just don't like not really having much option other than whatever Quick Play Classic (or whatever it's called) is.

This is the end result of people being toxic assholes and everyone bitching about comps they don't like basically. They've had 3 years to stop being douche bags and now everyone's fun is being ruined.

Honestly I don't see this as a BAD thing. It's just different. Annoying because I LIKE running none 2-2-2 comps, but enough people were complaining about things like the 3 tank 3 support meta for so damn long (even after it stopped BEING the meta) that they're putting their foot down I guess?

Now they need to severely re-balance some characters or they'll never be used again.

Overall I feel like this is a really risky move. It COULD work out, and I absolutely love having separate SR in Competitive for each role, but this could also absolutely blow up in their face. Interested to see which direction it goes.

I completely get it from a competitive standpoint, but for someone who plays casually like myself, I don't see the benefit. They should at least do a thing where you can pick what order your like the classes to be in. If my main class is support, and my worst is tank, I should be able to prioritize them in the order of support > defense > tank. That would help shorten queue times, at least a little bit.

They're going to have a queue bonus for roles that aren't getting picked often enough so that should help a little. Mostly it'll be dps that has a longer queue time if anything so if you play tank or support more it should be fine.

Beyond that, if you really only cared about quickplay anyway, they're moving the current version of quickplay into the arcade as 'Quickplay Classic' so you can basically not worry about this unless you wanted to do comp.

Sigma is now up on the PTR

Sigma seems interesting. And I like the idea of Role Queuing. I know I've had a bunch of times I've gone into a game wanting to play a certain character, but then I'd get to the select screen and see "Oh, we have no tank/healer" and oh well to what I wanted.

There's some good stuff with the role queue thing, but also some severe downsides, but this is what a bunch of people wanted so I guess we're stuck with it now. I don't even mind being locked to two of each in a group honestly, but not being able to switch out roles is frustrating at fuck. I do better with certain roles on attack than I do on defense and people I play with and I regularly switch out between rounds but won't be able to do that anymore. Also, you REALLY don't need 2 healers all the time depending on what you're running. There's still ways for people to be assholes with this too so I guess we'll see how it shakes out. The split SR will be a comfort in that at least that will help shuffle some of the asshats down to lower ranks.

Sigma sounds cool thus far. Going to try him out soon. Seems like he may have a high skill requirement to play really well, but we need more tanks like that in the game anyway and he'll be good at contesting bunker comps which is definitely needed with the direction things are going.

Sigma and role queue are both now in.

Not sure how I feel about the Brigitte changes, her shield being cut down to 200 instead of 500 seems like a big leap. Everything else sounds alright though.

Yeah, I don't really like how she feels now when I tried her on the PTR. Seems to be a lot of support for it, but as someone who played her heavily before, it's like a completely different character now. X_x

The Reinhardt thing is a really good move though. Puts him back into being a lot more viable.

Done a few matches with the new role queue now that it's in regular quick play and it's not that bad. I didn't realize you'd be able to pick more than one group at a time to queue up for. I have had one instance of queue-ing up for a tank in one game, leaving that game and re-queue-ing up for everything but tank and still got put in the tank category for some reason. 

Edit: I see what happened now. When I re-queued it didn't de-select tank.