Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Fall Season '23

As we near the end of Summer. Time for the Fall Lineup! Looks like it'll be mostly returning stuff for me on this lineup but we'll see if anything new catches my eye. https://anichart.net/Fall-2023

Shield Hero S3- Here's to hoping we pick up some slack in this.
Goblin Slayer- Looking forward to more fantasy gore.
SPYXFAM S2!!!!!!!!! FINALLY
Part 2 of Dr. Stone: New World
Saihate no Paladin S2- I know this was a nice easy paced series so I'm looking forward to this
MAHOUTSUKE YOME S2 PT 2!!!!!!!- Gods yes plz moar
FLCL:GRUNGE AND SHOEGAZE?! YAAAAAAS MORE LOVE SICK HARUKO PLEASE!

New stuff/Maybes:
Undead Unlock: Not sure how I feel about it. I'll give it a couple eps but might not vibe with me
Apothecary Diaries: Sucker for period pieces and looks like it has some murder mystery involved a little.
Mig to Dali: Weird mystery. Sounds...interesting enough to try it out.

Like seriously other than what is returning and leftovers from Summer (not going over movies and OVA) There is not a lot in new content that's catching my fancy. :shrug:

I haven't looked too closely at the fall season yet. I'm going to try to watch less this season. I will for sure continue with Spy x Family and Dr. Stone. I will also give Undead Unluck a look, and if I like the first couple episodes then I will binge read the manga (and stick with the anime too of course :D). I don't know if I want more Shield Hero. Maaaaaybe if it's confirmed to be only one cours. I'm not signing up for more than 12 or 13 episodes of that.

I will eventually watch the new FLCL when it hits the Crunchyroll app... setting the expectations very low because it might be bad. At least we will always have the original to re-watch :heart: 

Excited for Spy x Family and Dr. Stone of course

Definitely recommend checking out Undead Unluck.  I'm curious how it turns out in the anime.  It grabbed me early in the manga, then kind of lost me and thought they might have been getting cancelled, and then it swerved into being one of my low-key favorites to follow each week.

That's how i kinda feel about U/U. The concept of the story -sounds- like it might be good. But watching the trailers gives me meh feelings. Like yea you have initial wth factor but i feel like it'd be short lived.

1 hour ago, dr. b said:

I will eventually watch the new FLCL when it hits the Crunchyroll app... setting the expectations very low because it might be bad. At least we will always have the original to re-watch :heart: 

I just rewatched FLCL: Alternative and Progressive. A lot of it will always confuse tf outta me from the symbolism but the jist i've always gotten is Haruko always used the feelings of blooming adolescence to more or less track down her unrequited love from the first FLCL. Progressive probs could have not been made honestly and i'm not looking forward to there being 3D for Grunge (which takes place after Alternative) but maybe it won't be shit quality.

Yeah, Alternative and Progressive were a mixed bag. I could find parts to like about both, but neither stands up to the original which is very special to me. On the other hand, they could make almost anything--dumb story, shitty animation, whatever--but put those classic songs by The Pillows in the soundtrack and I'll watch it and talk myself into liking something about it. The nostalgia overpowers me. I listen to the OG FLCL soundtrack a ton. Fucking love those tunes.

Migi to Dali is definitely gonna be a weird anime. The way the twins set up stuff on that old couple is making me super curious of what the big picture is going to be in the long run

Spoiler

Which if that clip of the woman dying in the beginning has shown. Most likely gonna be a revenge story of weird ass porportions

Kamonohashi Ron is basically another spin of the Sherlock Holmes/Watson or "Quirky super intelligent cop mystery" trope. But seeing that twist at the end is got me intrigued of how this quirk will play out. So I'm gonna give this one a couple eps more.

Shield Hero did a nice recap of "here's the sitch and what we're doing now" Not surprised at the route it's taking now but hope it's at least a little better than last season was.

And everything else that's aired so far on my list other than Dr. Stone yet has made me squee. :love3:

I didn't check out Shield Hero yet ... but I might one night this week if I'm bored enough. MAL says it will be 12 episodes, so I can live with that.

Nanami is a fuckin' boss. I am loving see this arc of JJK animated.

Pretty solid first episode back for Dr. Stone too.

Also, I ended up watching Shield Hero the other night... all the slave trade stuff is gross, I don't know why it needs to still be a part of the story...

What's this? Me taking over the portal by rambling in anime topics? Yes. Yes it is.

Still pressing on with JJK, naturally.

I binged all of Good Night World over the course of this last weekend, we had our big WoW guild yearly meetup thing but we had to use a different airbnb because the one we'd used for years sold, so it was a different house with a much different layout than we're used to and I had to like.... actually shut myself in our room there when the chaos and ruckus got to be too much for my introverted, autistic ass instead of being able to sit and be more social in a different room....... all this backstory to say I was sulking a bit because I didn't WANT to be a weirdo and so I was gonna put on something I'd never heard of and probably wouldn't care about....... and then just watched the whole ass thing. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it had some of that drama/mystery/weirdness feel to it like .hack//sign did (on a much much smaller scale, .hack//sign is so weird in its atmosphere I fucking love it) so I just ended up watching the whole ass series whenever I had to retreat.

I very much want and intend to watch Sousou no Frieren but from the bit I know about the subject matter I need to hold off on this one until I'm ready to confront any of my personal grief from this year and past years around this time since I know it'll bring up FEELS

Surprisingly, I haven't watched any of the new Spy x Family eps but that's just because I wanted to finish up stuff I was allllmost done with so that I wouldn't get too distracted.

Gonna give Undead Unluck a watch at some point, I tried to keep up with the manga for a while but it was weird and scattered to me and I gave up, but like... I never disliked it or anything, it just wasn't something I felt the need to prioritize. Maybe the anime will keep my attention better?

Watched all the available eps of Migi to Dali during one of my retreat times this week as well. Funnily enough ep 3 ended right where I left off in the manga (and then forgot it existed) so from here on in it's new territory there, so looking forward to seeing if that keeps ahold of me! It certainly is an odd series in many ways, unsettling at times and at other times really funny in how the twins have these elaborate schemes and tricks but are still clueless about things!

I can't bring myself to give any fucks about Shield Hero this time around, unless my friend who really enjoys it (even after last season) really wants to talk about it then I'll grudgingly watch lol

I'll probably eventually check out the new FLCL seasons/series whatever that have come out but before I even dip a toe I would require a rewatch of the OG because it's been too long since I've seen it and I just ain't got time for that atm. I also haven't heard great things about the new stuff, but eh

and last but DEFFO not least is Magus Bride season 2 but I also wanna finish my rewatch of the first season because I love it so much and my rewatch got derailed by family stuff. One of those things I don't mind drawing out for a luxurious experience!

there's a few other things that I'd be interested in at least checking out at some point but my cup runneth way the fuck over for the foreseeable future so I'm not even gonna try and compile a list.

• Shiny 1
  • Eek 1

So far Undead Unluck has definitely translated well as an anime.  The breackneck pace helps fuel the chaotic energy, and the animation and sound design is pretty great.  But they haven't even gotten close to the scattered stuff where you got lost so time will tell(for what it's worth, I also almost stopped reading at that point but it started pulling it back together after that point).  My partners like so far.

*A wild Nelle enters the feild!*

I haven't gotten around to watch Undead/Unluck yet. So far been playing catchup with stuff along with my list for Fall Season right now. It may end up being an off season watch since it's on Hulu.

Nelle right now you really ain't missing much with Shield Hero. And the Frieren one i tried but it is too slow paced in the beginning to where i can't focus on it. Nice world building and good animation but just can't atm.

I still need to watch ep 3 of Migi/Dali but right now it's just enough weird and curious to keep me in.

I totally agree re: Shield Hero. I'm watching it this season because, well, no good reason really. I don't like to leave things unfinished, I guess? But the first episode back wasn't great. Don't really care about what happens.

23 hours ago, Anelle said:

Still pressing on with JJK, naturally.

I think seeing the Shibuya Incident animated has been pretty damn fantastic overall! I have really been enjoying the new episodes.

edit: btw you didn't quite bump enough threads to totally take over the portal. Post harder next time! :rotfl: 

I think still have to finish season 2 of Shield Hero. I started losing interest during it. 

I'm watching a few other shows(Frieren, Berserk of Gluttony, and Shangri-la Frontier) not sure if I'll stick with them. 

Kenshin is really the only one I'm watching consistently. Also helps because it should end with Kenshin and Saito's fight. 

• Like 1

At first glance, I thought I wouldn't like Frieren... but I just read the synopsis and I think it might actually be really good! But I also don't want to end up in another Shield Hero situation where I'm just watching something because I have to finish it. I think it will be better than Shield Hero, even if that's a very low bar to surpass :rotfl: 

Indecision

A couple of my friends who I talk series with asked me if I was watching Frieren since they've been liking it. They said it does pick up from the slowness I couldn't get through so I will probably give it more of a watch later down the line.

On 10/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, dr. b said:

edit: btw you didn't quite bump enough threads to totally take over the portal. Post harder next time! :rotfl: 

yeah I lost steam quickly lmao. SHOULDN'T BOAST BEFORE I FINISH

On 10/19/2023 at 2:49 PM, Anelle said:

yeah I lost steam quickly lmao. SHOULDN'T BOAST BEFORE I FINISH

It's an important life lesson :nod: :lol: 

On 10/18/2023 at 3:52 PM, Tassifox said:

A couple of my friends who I talk series with asked me if I was watching Frieren since they've been liking it. They said it does pick up from the slowness I couldn't get through so I will probably give it more of a watch later down the line.

I looked up Frieren on Crunchyroll last night and saw there were already seven episodes available..! I thought this only started airing like three weeks ago :lol: Anyways, I was feeling a bit sleepy so I didn't start watching it... but I will sometime this week. If I enjoy it, it will be nice to binge watch several episodes.

Finishing the last ep of Good Night World. It started out well enough but holy fuck shit goes nuts come ep 7-8. And just goes full throttle of (as Nelle put it) "we're doing this? Kay we're doing this". I feel like they tried to cram a lot of shit of the story into those 12 eps and........meh? Def some inconsistency there. 🙃

Ooooohhhh sheeeeit. A new part of the Attack on Titan finale has appeared on Crunchyroll. Is it finally over??? Guess I've gotta watch tonight and see if I feel any differently about the ending now compared to when I read the manga...

It is definitely finally over. Hulu has all the last episodes on 1 1.5hr special...........and I'm glad I'm finally done watching it but I'm ranking that ending on level with Evangelion. 

Yep, it is indeed finally over..! Hard to believe it's been like 2.5 years since the last chapter until the anime finally wrapped.

I actually felt like the ending came across a bit better in the anime compared to the manga, not that that's saying all that much :lol: It still left me with kinda like an, "All that for nothing???" sort of feeling. Nobody wins. Might as well have just wiped out humanity! :rotfl: Though I did really feel for Mikasa during those final scenes. That was a heartbreaker. Also felt bummed out for Armin, albeit to a lesser extent than Mikasa. But the scene where Armin was berating his own lifeless body before he realized he was stuck in the paths was legit impactful. "Move you piece of garbage! Piece of shit." etc. I think anybody that has a tendency to get negative about themselves can easily identify with that. I was hyped to see the action parts animated with all the past titans... that ended up being a bit of a let down. It was more exciting in the manga. The pay off of finally seeing Levi decapitate Zeke was worth it though. 

If it wasn't for the fact I know majority of you guys here have read the ending via the manga and we hardly get any new members in this forum. I'd be asking you to put that in spoiler tags. :koffing:

I can't say since I haven't read the ending in the manga. But a lot of Eren in the end of there in general was uber yikes.

I think the main thing that bothered me, from what I remember, is that he supported Ymir's ambition by carrying out the king's will, whom she loved, despite the fact that the king was a manipulative, abusive piece of shit, and it comes off like abuse apologism.  I think there was something about how doing this somehow set her free from that, but it didn't seem like enabling her desire to carry out the king's will was the right way to do that.  What makes that particularly bad is the manga painted it as it was somehow noble and it just made me feel all kinds of ick.  I might have read a fan translation so maybe something was lost/misconstrued there, but it made it a little harder for me to accept the ending as a good one.

Anyway, I'll probably catch up on all the last bit of AoT anime I skipped so far and see if that is the case or if they framed it better.  Still overall love the series.  And am happy with an "Eren did bad things" ending, just didn't really like the framing of it from my read.

• Like 1

Nope, that lines up. That plus the nihilism pretty much stuck the proverbial fork in it for me.

• Nope 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:07 PM, Psycho666Soldier said:

I think the main thing that bothered me, from what I remember, is that he supported Ymir's ambition by carrying out the king's will, whom she loved, despite the fact that the king was a manipulative, abusive piece of shit, and it comes off like abuse apologism.  I think there was something about how doing this somehow set her free from that, but it didn't seem like enabling her desire to carry out the king's will was the right way to do that.  What makes that particularly bad is the manga painted it as it was somehow noble and it just made me feel all kinds of ick.  I might have read a fan translation so maybe something was lost/misconstrued there, but it made it a little harder for me to accept the ending as a good one.

Anyway, I'll probably catch up on all the last bit of AoT anime I skipped so far and see if that is the case or if they framed it better.  Still overall love the series.  And am happy with an "Eren did bad things" ending, just didn't really like the framing of it from my read.

Yeah, the way I interpreted it is that Eren was somehow trying to free Ymir from her senseless devotion to King Fritz, who was obviously an irredeemably bad dude. It didn't necessarily come off to me as abuse apologism, but when you describe it that way, I can certainly see how you got there. It's a fair criticism. I think these are all symptoms of this being a poorly thought-out and/or poorly executed part of the story. It all gets rather gross at times and it's open to interpretation enough that it's hard to know what Isayama was really trying to convey. I dunno, part of me wonders if everybody is over-thinking it, and the whole point is that Eren does things merely because he wants to. He's a dumbass after all. Maybe it's not deeper than that :rotfl: At least earlier on in the story you could feel better about cheering for him, but in the end it leaves a bad taste. I found most of my enjoyment from the finale of the anime came from focusing on the other characters and how their storylines were resolved. 

Dr. Stone S3 #17 (JOKER)

I have never been a huge Yo fan but I actually enjoyed seeing him get this moment at the end of the episode. That was fun.

Also great to see Hyoga back in action, I totally forgot that's where things were headed when the team fled below deck on the ship!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck JJK #42

I knew it was coming but damnit that still hit hard

Nanami :salute: :crying:

This episode was epic stuff

Spoiler

That whole fight scene with Sukuna and the shikigami just cheff kiss.

I was curious what result was gonna happen after Itadori ingested those 15 fingers. Was NOT fucking disappointed. Seriously FUUUUUUUCK

Just thinking about some of the stuff that comes next…! 🤐

Jujutsu Kaisen S2 18

Spoiler

NANAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :bawling::bawling::bawling:

Did you watch episode #19 yet? I forgot how closely together these things happened in the story. The stuff with Nanami ( :salute: ) just last week and then this, what a gut punch :sad:

Nope! Haven't watched it yet!

3 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Any of you checked out Undead Unluck yet?

I wanted to but I don’t know where to find it. If it ain’t on Crunchyroll, I give up pretty quick :lolgrin: I guess I do have access to Prime Video and Disney+ … I never use them for anything though and never think to check them for anime. 

1 hour ago, dr. b said:

I wanted to but I don’t know where to find it. If it ain’t on Crunchyroll, I give up pretty quick :lolgrin: I guess I do have access to Prime Video and Disney+ … I never use them for anything though and never think to check them for anime. 

It looks like it's only on Hulu in the states.  Not sure if it's different anywhere else or it's on another app I've missed, but yeah, thought it was a bit odd it wasn't on Crunchyroll

Yeah, no Hulu up here. I expect it would become available on Disney+ eventually... maybe it's an exclusive for Hulu while it's airing and then hits Disney+ after. I dunno. Might as well just pick up the manga in Jump!

15 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Any of you checked out Undead Unluck yet?

I'm curious about it but not enough to start watching it yet after seeing the trailer. Kind of gave me Bleach/Black Clover/typical shonen vibes which translates to me that I'll like it in the beginning. Then get bored with it as they add lots more characters and things to where it stretches out forever. Chances are I will check it out here soonish since I'm running out of things to watch and waiting week to week for stuff that I am following to come out. I will probably give Frieren another shot too since some of my friends are saying I really should.

One thing's for sure I'm most likely giving up on Shield Hero after this season. Some stuff has been good this season but it feels like too many side quests and stories are pulling from what feels like the main story plot in season 1.

I will say in its favor that it doesn't really feel like it follows a lot of Shonen Tropes other than there's a lot of action in it and there's an emphasis on friendships, but I can't even imagine comparing it to Bleach or Black Clover.  You could argue it has the too many characters issue and it did have a lull in the manga where it felt a bit stretchy, but I feel they turned it around in a way that makes it feel special.

If nothing else, the style of the anime has done it a lot of favors to help it stand out.

• Like 1

Dr. Stone New World #20

God damnit I love Ginro :rotfl: Too many good moments for him in this episode!

This is definitely the part of the story where I stopped getting hung up on realism. They’re basically a bunch of cave-people, but, yeah, they’re going to the moon. Why not! :lol:

JJK Right and Wrong Part 3

Fucking hell the intro to the episode hurt bad :crying: Kugisaki :salute:  

Todo saves the day :shiny:

Miwa :heart: :sad:

How are you getting episodes of JJK a week ahead? Gogoanime just loaded that episode only today.

Spoiler

THE CHANCE ISNT ZERO YET. YOU BETTER FUCKING LIVE KUGISAKI

Todooooooooo! The Brothers are back together!

Sorry Miwa.

Omg Todo i've missed your cocky confidence. (Smooch! ❤️) Fuck this battle is gonna be intense the next 3 eps)

In good news Netflix has posted that episodes of ZOM:100 are coming back Christmas Day! :shiny:

• Shiny 1

I watch JJK on Crunchyroll and there’s a new episode every Thursday, so I’m just watching whatever is on there. Maybe Gogoanime is a week behind..? 

That’s cool news about Zom 100! Curious to see what happens next. 

Usually that doesn't happen. I think this is a first because gogo loads it every Wed and all the other series we're watching lines up. Weird.

Dr. Stone wrapped up, a solid finale, and a continuation was announced. Still so much story left to cover. And some great new characters to introduce still too! 

One episode left of JJK. I won’t mind if the anime ends with the Shibuya Incident, because the next arc is a bit of a mess IMHO… but maybe it would be better animated? Never know. 

NETFLIX PUT UP ALL THE FINAL EPISODES OF ZOM:100!! NOT JUST EP 10 🤩

• Love 1

They’re on Crunchy too. Yay :shiny: Got something to watch tonight. 

Very solid ending to Zom 100. 

The finale of JJK wasn’t super duper smooth. Apparently another series has been announced to cover the next arc (The Culling Game). It has been quite hard to follow at times in the manga. I hope they can make it better in the anime. The manga feels like it is heading towards an ending soon-ish. 

Finale felt....a little downplayed after the hype buildup they had with all the battles.

Spoiler

Like don't get me wrong, i could still feel the seriousness of the blackouts and thr BS the Jujutsu Sorcerer Society called on Gojo and the others except reinstating Geto's death sentence. But it felt a little disjointed of the aftermath from that battle and left me feeling "Um.....what's going on?"

I started watching Undead Unluck since we have a break in shows atm. And i actually enjoy it so far. The characters are fun, the storyline it pretty nice. And credit songs are noice. @Psycho666Soldier i can see why you stuck with it.

Also binged all there is so far to Frieren. Overall i see why people are enjoying it. Once i got past the slow burn start and got to like.....ep 7-10. Def got good in animation flow for fight scenes.

• Love 1