Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[07/05/2020] Weekly What Are You Listening To?

Two or three songs or albums you've been listening to recently

Most of what I listened to this week was Pop Smoke's debut/posthumous album Shoot For The Stars, Aim For The Moon. The sound's all right, I haven't focused too much on the lyrics yet because I was mostly gaming while doing it. I do recall too many "boo-thing" songs made specifically for the ladies because it's a studio album (I kinda hate when tough-guy or street rappers do that but that's the game they play to get more sales, if you do tough-guy street shit you get the guys, if you do love-song shit, you get the girls and you get the guys trying to fuck the girls so it should theoretically be a wider audience). I think there was a few lines about "when I die/after I die" which suuuuuuucks because he did die and I seem to recall hearing either a few recycled verses or maybe I've just heard the songs as singles or leaks before or something. I'll probably dive deeper into it this week.

Also was hitting up more of A Boogie's Artist 2.0 Deluxe. He's probably my favourite modern/newer artist (might be Yungblud too, because apparently I have the taste of a teenage girl), Artist 2.0 was received in a lukewarm way compared to the previous album and I still like about 3/4s of the songs and most of the songs on the deluxe portion.

NOOOOO ENNIO MORRICONE RIP ;_;

Lots of jazz. Really been enjoying some of the tunes from Oscar Peterson's Canadiana Suite.

Also some Turboprop:

Been listening to the latest GoGo Penguin album this weekend, they're a really great trio:

Also check out this very funky arrangement of Benny and the Jets by the Fearless Flyers:

On 7/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, Garlic Junior said:

Music is fine but those helium voices 😕

I like the helium voices cuz what they've done is like written the experience of a late-night Nightcore binge (hikikomori braindance) into the music from the start & by performing this shit life they've put it in a new context (solitary experience now collectively enjoyed & danced at). Influence of something genuinely new. 

(Or given that Nightcore is all remixes - it's at least very novel pastiche)