Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Spring Anime 2020

The list

So since some of the ones on my list are starting to pop up on streaming, what are you all looking at for Spring anime?

Defs:
Fruits Basket S2 Pt2!
No Guns Life S2
Jashin Chan S2
Orphen OVA
Dorohedoro Omake
Fate/Stay Heavens Feel Pt 3
Given the Movie

Maybes:
Listeners
eva 4 movie
BNA
Ghost in the Shell Netflix series

Pokemon 2019

One Piece

Black Clover

SAO Alicization

Fruits Basket

I'd like to watch Kingdom but I just haven't gotten around to the previous two seasons yet

I'll try the rest so that'll probably increase

I'm sure there's a couple that will get added on, those were just the ones that piqued my interest enough.

I'm 100% in on Fruits Basket and Major 2nd. And if there is going to be a second season of Gundam Build Divers re:rise then I'll watch it to see what happens. The 1st season of it wasn't very good though

Maybe are:

- BNA - It's Trigger so I'll give it a shot

- LISTENERS - sounds interesting

- Appare-Ranman! - could be fun

- Tamayomi - more baseball

I saw the trailer for Appare Ranman and it looks interesting, steampunk racing sooo while the story doesn't fully catch me on it at the moment it maybe one of those that surprises me and I end up liking it. I also started watching BNA, while only the first episode so far I like the animation style and color schemes.

Looks like it was licensed by Netflix. Is it already on North American Netflix, or did you watch it on a streaming site? Hopefully this isn't another situation like Carole & Tuesday where I have to wait months before I can watch it rather than watching it weekly while it's new.

If you're talking about Appare Ranman, I have not watched it on there yet (I've been doing some Hulu binging most of this week) the trailer I watched on YouTube. BNA however though I watched on gogoanime and for the moment it looks like it's up to six episodes already and kinda looks like it's at the halfway point from what I saw on the ending credits just now.

Yeah, I was referring to BNA. Wikipedia answered the question I was thinking out loud about:

"The series is scheduled to premiere on April 8, 2020 on Fuji TV's +Ultra anime programming block, to be followed by a worldwide Netflix release later on in the same year.[1] The first six episodes were released on Netflix in Japan on March 21, 2020."

So they've teased it Netflix Japan, then it will air on Japanese TV, and then the rest of the world gets it on Netflix later. 

• Like 1

So...then I'm glad I watched it on gogo for now. :D
I hon
estly liked it. And looking more into it because the style made me think of it. It's directed by Yoh Yoshinari who did  Little Witch Academia and the script is by Kazuki Nakashima who did Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. Soo......totes a good one. :shiny:

On 3/24/2020 at 6:39 AM, little birdy said:

I'm 100% in on Fruits Basket and Major 2nd. And if there is going to be a second season of Gundam Build Divers re:rise then I'll watch it to see what happens. The 1st season of it wasn't very good though

Maybe are:

- BNA - It's Trigger so I'll give it a shot

- LISTENERS - sounds interesting

- Appare-Ranman! - could be fun

- Tamayomi - more baseball

Probs gotta add this detective show to this list as well

Kakushigoto and Tower of God have both earned a few more episodes of interest from me. I don't think the gag in Kakushigoto will last more than a few episodes. Tower of God's setting is interesting but Made In Abyss did the concept (in the reverse) a lot better too

I definitely loved the first ep of Kakushigoto. I wanna see where that goes.
Watched first ep of Appare Ranman and Listeners. So far the episodes are solid, good humor, nice music and animation style on Listeners. Gonna watch a couple more eps with them.

Might have to subscribe to Funi this season, looks like they've got Appare-Ranman!, Listeners, and Tamayomi. Not sure if any of them will simulcast on both Crunchroll and Funi like Fruits Basket, AoT, etc.

Just watched Gleipnir, looks kinda ineteresting but the first ep isn't a lot for me to judge fully yet.
Also looked at Yesterday wo Utatte. Looks nice for a slice of life anime

Okay looked into Tower of God, I like the animation style and the story is interesting so far.

Based on the first episodes, I think Listeners and Appare-Ranman! are both winners for me. Listeners especially, that first episode was rad.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:51 PM, Tassifox said:

Okay looked into Tower of God, I like the animation style and the story is interesting so far.

I just watched the first episode, I like the aesthetics at least. Not quite sure what to think of the story just yet, but I think I'll keep watching. 

Nobody is going to give you a hard time here about watching Digimon :thumbs:

I always wanted to try out Digimon so I did jump into that reboot episode too ;)

Been gaming a lot and barely watching anime, I might just keep up on the big/important stuff only this season

I'm watching Digimon with my kiddo now. She thinks it's great. It will be a fun Sunday morning tradition for as long as it lasts. 

The second part of High Score Girl has finally come up on Netflix, so I'm going to start watching it this week :nod:

I watched the first episode of Woodpecker Detective's Office this morning. I like the mystery/historical combo, and the main character has a bit of a Holmes-like vibe. I'll keep watching :nod:

It's been quite a while since I've started following this many shows in one season, maybe a year or more. Feels good to have this many shows to look forward to, especially at a time like now when there's so little to do. 

I finished High Score Girl last night. Not a 100% satisfying finish, bit at least it wasn't a total heart-breaker. I wish there was more.

Tower of God continues to be interesting. I like the style too. Even if the story ain't great, it's great to look at. 

• Shiny 1

Now I'm going to finish watching Carole & Tuesday. Part 2 has been available on Netflix for a while now and I keep forgetting about it...

• Like 1

Aight, just caught up on like a week and a half of anime after playing MGSV way too much to finish it.

My list this season looks like this:

Pokemon 2019 (as always)

One Piece (as always)

Black Clover

Sword Art Online - Alicization Season 2 (hasn't started yet)

Fruits Basket Season 2

Digimon Adventures

Gleipnir (What in the absolute fuck)

Sing Yesterday For Me (I actually haven't watched the full first episode yet, but I kept skimming through to see if I should delete it and I kept seeing little things that made me not want to)

Kakushigoto (this one's on the bubble... I think the joke is one-note but the overarching story is low-key feels)

Also probably going to watch Kill La Kill with THA BOYS next, I've never seen it

• Like 1

Kill la Kill is a fun time :thumbs:

I'm liking Tower of God. I'll probably keep watching it. 

As well as Black Clover, but I'm worried its going to go the way of Naruto and have an insane amount of filler. It is extremely close to catching the Manga. 

3 hours ago, Eizan said:

As well as Black Clover, but I'm worried its going to go the way of Naruto and have an insane amount of filler. It is extremely close to catching the Manga. 

Same studio as Naruto so it's more or less guaranteed

I just finished watching Kill La Kill with my roomie last night since he's never watched it, mostly b e caus e  I was talking about BNA and it got him curious.
I think Kakushigoto is a sweet wholesome anime , just enought that I like it.
I think Tower of God is gonna be one of those slow buildup story wise, I am definitely curious on certain bits of info.

I watched the first few episodes of Gleipnir last night and I'm not sure what to think. Weird and kind of interesting, in a way, but also not very compelling... I guess? Like, I didn't find myself wondering why our how these kids can turn into monsters, what the deal with the coins is, etc. Folks who like to see the anime girl get naked love it I'm sure,  but the story hasn't really hooked me yet :rotfl: If I'm bored enough over the next few weeks (which is fairly likely!) then I may give it one two more episodes.

• Like 1

I just watched 3rd episode of that and it's hitting a twisted turn! I think I may get hooked that this one. It's defintinely a slow builder in story and mystery.

Pretty long (and still growing???) list of anime impacted by COVID-19. The things I'm watching that are listed:

- Appare-Ranman! delayed after third episode

- Digimon delayed after third episode

- Major Second S2, NHK is going to re-broadcast the first four episodes from this season and then decide when they will continue airing from episode 5

Depending on how long this goes on, this might end up being more of a "backlog clearing season" than a new anime season :-/ I finished Carole & Tuesday last week, which was absolutely fantastic, and there is a lot of both old and recent stuff that I could watch on Crunchy/Funi if I feel like it. Not sure what direction I want to go yet when it comes to the backlog of shows. Maybe I'll start by looking back at recent season threads to see which shows I was interested in but couldn't watch at the time because I wasn't subscribed to Funimation...

• Like 1

>Sword Art

Fuck

>Pokemon

Fuck

>Digimon

Fuck

>Promised Neverland

FUCK

>Black Clover

Fuck

Adding Re:Zero, No Guns Life and 3 movies I was looking forward to......T+T

I'm not surprised, the fact that fucking Amerincan Idol of all shows is sending equipment to their contestants homes to keep their show going (from what I've seen on their commercials anyways). I can see how animation studios are getting the ripple effect from Covid if staff is getting hit in one way shape or form like we would be . :crying: I've been rebinging Ranma 1/2 since Hulu has all 7 seasons.

• Shiny 1

Apparently Japan is ill-equipped for work-at-home compared to us too, or at least that's what the video game industry's been telling me

17 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Adding Re:Zero, No Guns Life and 3 movies I was looking forward to......T+T

I'm not surprised, the fact that fucking Amerincan Idol of all shows is sending equipment to their contestants homes to keep their show going (from what I've seen on their commercials anyways). I can see how animation studios are getting the ripple effect from Covid if staff is getting hit in one way shape or form like we would be . :crying: I've been rebinging Ranma 1/2 since Hulu has all 7 seasons.

Ranma 1/2 may be my favorite anime of all-time. I have the first five seasons on DVD.  I've been thinking about taking advantage of it being on Hulu now.

How far are you on your rebinge?

• Like 1

I'm on season five about halfway through and I've been at it since ....last Tues. (Just starting the swim competition episode ) I basically throw it on as soon as I'm home from work if I don't have anything else to catch up on before that. 

I've been watching Flying Witch with the kiddo this week, it's a nice and relaxing slice of life that seems to be kid friendly so far (4 episodes in).

You guys think Boku no Hero Academia would be good for a 9 year old? I was thinking about adding that to our queue.

She's already watching basically everything Pokemon (that is on Netflix), and we will be following Digimon when it comes back. The thought of starting from the beginning of Dragon Ball has crossed my mind, as she watched quite a bit of Super with me and the Broly movie, but I dunno... that's a lot of episodes if we do DB and then Kai. I'm probably not up for it.

• Like 1

I've been watching Flying Witch with the kiddo this week, it's a nice and relaxing slice of life that seems to be kid friendly so far (4 episodes in).

I miss Flying Witch, some very "uwaaaaaaaaaaaa~" moments in it

You guys think Boku no Hero Academia would be good for a 9 year old? I was thinking about adding that to our queue.

One of the recent arcs had to do with what was functionally emotional and physical child abuse. I could see Stain being scary for kids but mileage may vary on that. I'd lean "no" but it's not it's not so far out that it'd be a hard no, I guess, a lot of Boku no Hero is uplifting YOSHHHHHHH and some of it is super-cute

Edit: I guess also it depends how the dub handles it because I assume you watch dubs with them?

• Like 1

We've mostly been watching subs for shows on Crunchyroll, though if a dub is available she would probably prefer it. But she's 9 and a voracious reader. She hasn't had any trouble keeping up with subtitles, aside from having to ask the meaning of a new word every once in a while.

Another one I was thinking of trying was A Place Further Than The Universe... that might be next in line after Flying Witch.

I'll back up Vic in saying the Boku no Hero gets a bit heavy, but never in a way that doesn't promote the value of rising above.  So if you think she can handle something a bit more complex, then it's fine.  It's not vulgar or bloody or anything, other than the occasional perv comments from Mineta.

Hmm... 88 episodes and counting... maybe not. I will prioritize more bite-sized options. 12-13 episode original anime (open to lots of different genres) with a complete (enough) story is basically my anime holy grail that I look for every new season. A Place Further Than The Universe seems to tick all those boxes.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, Vic Boss said:

>Promised Neverland

FUCK

God fucking damn it. :bawling:

Japan has the technology but they have the most oppressive work environments and probably refuse to let anyone actually do it because then they wouldn't all be able to sit awkwardly in the office for 4 extra hours every day. :sweatdrop:

Just watched ep five of Listeners. Loved the homage to Prince with this new Player character. I'm definitely liking the style of the show.

I've been watching ID: Invaded the last few evenings once the kids are asleep. It's a fairly interesting sci-fi / crime thing from the winter season. Definitely getting some Psycho-Pass vibes.

• Like 1

Finished Id: Invaded last night and moved on to the first episode of Darwin's Game (that was pretty messed up :fup:)

• Like 1

Last night I watched episodes 4 and 5 of Gleipnir because I was bored, and then I moved along to a few more episodes of Darwin's Game because I couldn't sleep. It almost felt like I was watching the same show. Obviously the finer details are different, but there are parallels for sure.

Darwin's Game reminds me a bit of Battle Royale or GANTZ. Gleipnir is a bit more of a switch up and I'm enjoying it more than I did DG.

BNA got 4 more episodes up! Birdy this would be a good one to watch with the kiddo I think. There's a couple episodes where the fights end up a bit more bloody and maybe a touch gory but overall I think it'd be fine.