Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

Winter Anime 2020

The List

Not listed: Re-cut hour-long episodes of re: Zero's first season. I never did watch it even though I meant to, so I might jump on these before Season 2 starts in the Spring.

Not much that jumps out this season, and not much continuing. OP and Pokemon as always, My Hero Academia continuing, I thought SAO was supposed to continue but it's not listed. Might use this season as a catch-up point for other things that are ongoing (I see Kingdom is getting a third season and I've never watched, I haven't watched Nanatsu no Taisai etc)

• Like 2

I'm interested in that Madoka Magical side story, and I caught a glimpse of that Darwin's Game concept that seems kinda interesting.  But other than ongoing stuff, I don't really know what any of that is or whether k should be hype for it.  I'll probably just take my opportunity to burn through Demon Slayer and a couple other series I've been looking to start up.

I kinda want to watch The Promised Neverland, but part of me wants to get the manga experience instead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

I kinda want to watch The Promised Neverland, but part of me wants to get the manga experience instead.

Watch the first four at least

• Like 1

What he said!

Other than what's continuing over from Fall season there's not a lot that is jumping out at me for "Gotta watch" other than the  Orphen remake, Goblin Slayer, Keishicho, and Danmachii OVA's. Out of the ones I'm curious about is:
-Pet
-Sorraili to Mori to Kamisama

-Dorohedoro
-ID: Invaded
-Kyuutei Dragons

Tiny list is tiny for me  this new season.

Might just be continuing shows for me this winter, but I guess I'll give a few new things a try for one episode if I'm bored. Not sure what's gonna be on Crunchyroll yet though. It'd be nice if the charts / season pages indicated which service(s) each show is streaming on...

I'm kinda interested in the Orphen remake...

Otherwise I'll just keep watching what's continuing. 

Watching the first ep of Darwin's Game. Just damn....kinda like a different version of Battle Royale and that Diary one

ID: Invaded might be a decent one too. So far 2 eps in it's got my curiosity piqued

Pet is a little bit weird for sure, depending on where it goes I may keep watching.

Re:Zero Recap Version Ep 2 was similar to the first episode, it takes awhile to get to the point but the point is enjoyable. It's a little wordy, like people speak in three or four sentences at a time instead of one or two. The action is fast but feels like it doesn't have a lot of weight (similar to how Black Clover's best action scenes feel). Good plot twists but I'm worried about the next time the main character dies and how much of the same scenario I'd have to see over again.

Bofuri: Itai no wa Iya nano de Bōgyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu/Bofuri: I Hate Being In Pain So I'll Make A Full Defense Build Ep 1 is super cute and super dumb and I love it. It's about a video game newbie playing a VRMMO and she decides to put all her stats in defense and accidentally figures out how to game the same and make herself unkillable, but at the cost of being super weak and super slow.

She ends up gnawing the first boss she meets to death because it evaporates her knife and shield :rofl:

3 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:
Re:Zero Recap Version Ep 2 was similar to the first episode, it takes awhile to get to the point but the point is enjoyable. It's a little wordy, like people speak in three or four sentences at a time instead of one or two. The action is fast but feels like it doesn't have a lot of weight (similar to how Black Clover's best action scenes feel). Good plot twists but I'm worried about the next time the main character dies and how much of the same scenario I'd have to see over again.

Even the normal half hour eps were the same pace, there's a lot of mystery and info that they try to pack in especially when Mr. Dumb butt as I like to call him at times goes into tangents on things. Trust me though the twists get way more messed up and darker and it's so worth it.

Agreed. I think it's gonna be a little like   this.

Spoiler

The man in his mouth is OBS Caiman
Mushroom Sorcerer is probs the one who did this to him. And pushing other sorcerers as distraction.
Last scene in there might be a flashback of a Sorcerer gang/turf war? Or group of Hole rebellion group that Caiman was/is a part of that failed in fighting them?

It's d e finitely WTF mixed with comedy. Almost gives me Trigun feels

Dorohedoro is whacked out, violent as fuck and I can't look away from it. Like usually the first episode of a whacked out anime is whacked out and then the second episode settles in, but this was just as whacked out the second episode as it was the first. Really "what the fuck am I watching?"

I think the opening gives you a pretty good idea what sort of acid trip you're about to embark with this anime  

Spoiler

Hey I think I was right about the turf war!

Dude between Dorohedoro, Pet, and Babylon, 2020 is gonna be known as the mind fucks of anime :fup:

I've hardly watched anything new this winter :lurk: So far I've only checked out the first episode of the Madoka Magica spin-off. Crunchyroll's roster for this season is pretty underwhelming...

Dorohedoro 3

Caiman had his head levered off by a hammer, but he regrew a new head and then carried the old one around with him until they decided to dissect it.

This all happened during the Hole's "Day of the Dead", an annual event where the magic of the sorcerors gets a little powerful and resurrects all the dead as zombies. They hold a festival/competition to kill the shit out of and purify zombies all night, and they collect iron plates hidden in the zombie bodies and can exchange them for prizes.

The fuck is this anime and I love it :rotfl:

• ROFL 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:25 AM, Death Rider Mox said:

Dorohedoro 3

Hide contents

Caiman had his head levered off by a hammer,

I CRINGED AT THIS!!!!! OMG ALL OF THISSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Also birdy maybe you're just a little picky? I agree the winter lineup has been a little smaller compared to the last couple seasons but I've been able to find a couple good ones. Granted I know you're more into the sports anime tho.

I don't think it's just that I'm picky (though I definitely am). It's the combination of pickiness + limited selection of new shows on Crunchyroll (the only service I'm paying for right now). There is of course nothing stopping me from subscribing to Funimation Now, Prime, or whatever else to get access to different shows (or I could just do it the old fashioned way and download from HorribleSubs) ... but those options are all less convenient than just continuing to watch whatever is on Cruncyrol :lol: :lurk:  

• Like 1

There's kiss if you want to subject yourself to hentai ad hell

Where are you guys watching Dorohedoro?  I had assumed it was on Crunchyroll, and then when I tried to search for it, I can only find it on places like KissAnime.  I'll watch it that way if I have to, but I was curious what you were both doing.

Wikipedia says it was licensed by Netflix

12 hours ago, little birdy said:

Wikipedia says it was licensed by Netflix

From what I understand, it's only Netflix Japan right now, with an American release to follow later this year.

I think it usually comes over to other regions shortly after the season has wrapped up in Japan. But I guess the licensing terms can be a bit different from show to show. In any case, it's gonna be on Netflix eventually.

I've been using Gogo which is basically kiss and have all my ad blockers set to the site and virus spam ware on it as well.  Cuts all that crap out and much easier to enjoy as long as their servers aren't being a pain.

8 hours ago, little birdy said:

I think it usually comes over to other regions shortly after the season has wrapped up in Japan. But I guess the licensing terms can be a bit different from show to show. In any case, it's gonna be on Netflix eventually.

Netflix Japan seems to release weekly, Netflix other places seems to prefer binge-watch releases, maybe that has something to do with it

Idk if anyone is still following the touched up Re : Zero. But I totally forgot just how motha fuckin' creepy Betelgeuse was. :blink:

I got about halfway through but the pace is just too slow for me. Which is kind of why I originally didn't keep going with it too

Fair enough. It might also be that the pacing seems longer since they are combining 2 episodes in each ep of this slight revamp. So a lot of the good cliff hangers from the half hour ones lose some of their HOLY SHIT moments

I still haven't really checked out much more for the Winter :lurk:  I just tune in once a week for Ace of Diamond and that's the extent of my anime consumption.

Looking forward to Fruits Basket coming back in the Spring (if anime is still happening in the Spring..? :uhoh:)

Far as I've seen some of the shows for spring lineup have been coming up it seems. Not nearly as much as I'm looking into for Spring, like less than Winter even.

I'm the opposite, I think there are more interesting titles on the list for Spring vs. Winter. Hopefully some of the shows that caught my eye actually turn out to be good. 

And we continue our dance :laugh:

Ace of Diamond is over :crying::crying::crying: (for now) I think it's just that the anime is catching up with the manga so they need to wait a while before starting another season. They can't just end where they're at in the tournament :|

Dude last episode of Boku No Hero!!!! :shiny::mosh: I want Season Five now!