Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[07/25/19] Weekly What Have You Been Playing

9 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

:ps4:Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: Damn, this is a fun game.  One I had always played for like 30 minutes in a swath of games I downloaded for emulator, and then never came back to until I restarted for another 30.  Started playing a bit last week, and now I'm currently just above 100%.  Pretty sure I found everything in the first castle, but I may have missed like ONE thing.  Some of the combat in this game is ridiculous, but unlike previous Castlevania, this is the first one where it feels like you have a number of ways to approach an encounter.  Some of the secrets are just really satisfying.

:switch: Trials of Mana(Collection of Mana): a big improvement over Secret of Mana.  Soundtrack is absolutely infectious.  Graphics are pretty expressive well-honed.  Kind of feels like the main inspiration for the story framing of Octopath Traveler.  I've been going through it with a friend, and the co-op really pushes the game forward as far as having endless fun.  Some of the dialogue is garbage, specifically in the way some characters have speech quirks(like a little girl who's a white mage and replaces EVERY SINGLE R WITH W'S).  But the general story arc is just interesting enough to give you reason to see it through, even if at this point it seems to be lacking depth.

And still playing Minecraft, of course.  I'm currently trying to find each edge of the world while she's building a wall around the village by our house.

^----- Just so he doesn't have to do it again

:ps3:Final Fantasy XIII: This is a replay because I did play it on 360, but never 100%ed it. Gonna platinum it on PS3. I still really like this game's battle system, how a lot of the story and lore is revealed in the in-game menus (people complained about this, but no one seemed to complain about Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Metroid Prime doing it), aren't particularly bothered by the hallway simulator nature of it (if you have a vast open world with hidden secrets, I'm reading a FAQ anyways), never did pay enough money to be bothered by it's flaws (a middling bargain bin game is still a good game), and didn't think it was the sacrilegious disappointment to the numbers that destroyed FF (that was XI).

:3ds:SMT Strange Journey: Finally getting to the meat of the game I think. Unlocked demon fusion, forma etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Death Rider Mox said:

^----- Just so he doesn't have to do it again

:ps3:Final Fantasy XIII: This is a replay because I did play it on 360, but never 100%ed it. Gonna platinum it on PS3. I still really like this game's battle system, how a lot of the story and lore is revealed in the in-game menus (people complained about this, but no one seemed to complain about Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Metroid Prime doing it), aren't particularly bothered by the hallway simulator nature of it (if you have a vast open world with hidden secrets, I'm reading a FAQ anyways), never did pay enough money to be bothered by it's flaws (a middling bargain bin game is still a good game), and didn't think it was the sacrilegious disappointment to the numbers that destroyed FF (that was XI).

:3ds:SMT Strange Journey: Finally getting to the meat of the game I think. Unlocked demon fusion, forma etc.

I still just haven't had the interest to play XIII after watching my friend play half of it. I think the complaints about plot explained through menus is tied to the fact that previous FFs told most of it's story through cutscenes and dialogue.  But for me, it's the blatant linearity and kinda lackluster characters that kill this game for me.  I like my exploration, and I do actually like looking for the stuff on my own until I can't find it.  Maybe one day I'll give the game a fair shake, but I have so many other games I actually want to play that it'll probably never happen.

• Like 1

Just going to say Final Fantasy IV Free Enterprise is basically a weekly thing for me, so instead of posting that each week I'll post other games I'm actually playing. 

Twisted Metal 2 - Learning to speed run it. 

:psp: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Chapter 2 - Playing this slowly. I eventually need to pick up Chapter 3, playing this kinda getting ready for Cold Steel 3. 

• Like 1

I've been on vacation for a week so I haven't been playing anything. Didn't even bring the Switch with us.

But now that we're back home and I'm going to be back to my usual routine, I have a few more tracks to wrap up in Radio Hammer Station one night this week. And I got a good deal on the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection while I was out shopping in my hometown earlier this week, so I guess there is some SF in my future :wussfight:

• Like 1

I'm back on that Overwatch grind (PC). Am considering giving Apex Legends another try on PS4 as I have a friend who plays pretty much that exclusively.

• Like 1

:pc: Moonlighter: Way more fun than it looks at first glance (is also free on the Epic Games store atm). The pixel animations are spot on and the combat is butter smooth. 9/10 definitely recommend.

• Like 1