Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Spider-Man: Far From Home [SPOILERS]

Talk about it here. There will be spoilers from this point on, so if you haven't seen it, stop reading after this post.

Safety buffer

So glad I made this...THANKS KYLE.

Hey look, I finally have a day off work so I can reply. THANKS FOR BEING SO GOD DAMN PATIENT. It's like you're a saint or something. :P

ANYWAY.

Movie was fucking fantastic. I love how they did Mysterio. Anyone who knows the character at all probably called everything being some sort of setup right away, but it was still beautifully done. They carried the con long enough that I was honestly just starting to doubt myself. Then that bar scene. As soon as they started talking about the glasses I was like HERE IT COMES. The actual set up was really good too. It actually being a whole group of people who had been jilted by Stark (more or less) and giving examples of when and where it happened was cool to see and made for interesting motivation.

I liked that they actually worked the angle of humanizing Stark a bit. Setting the world in this "Iron Man as a martyr" sort of state, and then working throughout the movie to really humanize him and remind you of his flaws. Between Happy and then these guys showing that he wasn't always the most stand up person and didn't always handle situations the best was a good dynamic to work with. Guess that means the whole 'multiverse' angle is a no-go for now though. I had my suspicions when he referred to the MCU Earth as "Earth-616" since that's "main" continuity for the comics, and the MCU has its own number.

Really liked all the characters. MJ really grew on me with this movie. Such a different version of her character (reminds me a bit of the Ultimate Universe Gwen Stacey more than anything I think), but I like her. All the characters felt solid even when they were practically just there for background or for comedic value.

Then there's the after credits scenes. Holy shit. Both of them just flipped everything upside down. Soon as they showed Jameson the whole theater blew up. Getting Simmons back for the role was one of the best things that could have happened. And then they took that so much farther than I would have expected. Painting Spider-man as the bad guy made sense. Continuing Mysterio's obfuscation and putting Spidey in the hot seat is a great set up to move forward. But full out revealing his identity was definitely not something I was expecting. Shit is going to get ridiculous. They could potentially even lead this into bringing Miles in and killing Peter if they really wanted to. Excited to see how they'll move forward from this point.

And then the last one. Damn. So many implications. I actually had this one spoiled for me right before the scene because I was looking to see if there was another scene quick and the article I found flat out gave it away. X_x  Was still different than I expected though. What I had spoiled was just that they were Skrulls so I was like "OH SHIT SECRET INVASION", but that wasn't necessarily the vibe it gave out. Even so, pretty much had the same thoughts that MT put down in his spoiler tags in the other topic: How long has Talos been Fury? Has it just been since the Snap (Blip? XD ) or has it been much longer? Is Hill even a real person if the former? ?  What is the purpose of Fury being in space with the Skrulls?

I get the impression it hasn't been the WHOLE time (he at least must have known Stark himself, Talos was reporting to him about giving Peter the glasses and the general feel of everything he was saying made it feel more like he would have had a connection with the characters involved) but it could still have been longer than just since Endgame potentially. Maybe anything with him since Winter Soldier at least? He had to go into hiding after that and where better than in space?

Soon as they showed it though, there was a part from earlier in the movie that made SO much more sense knowing that. When Peter is freaking out about helping and starts asking about the other Avengers, and he brings up Captain Marvel, Fury responds with something to the effect of "Don't you dare invoke her name!!" and that seemed really weird coming from him, but knowing it was Talos the whole time it made a lot more sense. Think there were a couple other things too that I'm not remembering. Including the fact that Mysterio was able to fool them so thoroughly. Get the impression that the real Fury might have been a lot less trusting.

I honestly feel like I need to see this again. Seems like there may be a lot of subtle things throughout that will be much easier to spot after seeing it once.

I died at that Memorial Tribute video the high school was putting together.  :rotfl:
I love Tom Holland so fucking much. I just wanted to hug him through the hard points later on after he feels like such a fuck up.
The effects on Mysterio's "powers" were well done, really enjoyed that whole level of reality the drones took over.

DICK MOVE BECK! FUCKING DICK MOVE FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!
My friend pointed out to me that in the background when Parker was web flying with MJ there's a building in construction that had a sign saying "We can't wait to show you what we got planned!" Touche Marvel. Touche.

I liked it but I noticed some of the CGI was kinda bad, like when he was on fire. It pulled me out of the moment. Otherwise pretty solid. 

5 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Hey look, I finally have a day off work so I can reply. THANKS FOR BEING SO GOD DAMN PATIENT. It's like you're a saint or something. :P

Hey, I've been dying to talk about it with someone since Monday, excuse me for being excited. :P

I have been too, but there was no way I was going to type all of that on my phone. :rip: 

@h2ojunkie I dont' know if I just get that into movies or what, but I never notice shit like that anymore. See complaints here or there throughout the various Marvel releases and I honestly don't think I've ever notice any until after they're pointed out to me. Lucky me I guess? XD

I just saw it.  Fuck I loved it.  I hate his identity being exposed.  Hate it.  Nearly cried when Simmons came up on screen though.  I'm so happy.  More thoughts later. :shiny:

Dude I don't think there's a single fan in those seats that enjoyed him being exposed. But I do admire that Mysterio had even that planned ahead, I legit thought that when the other tech lacky was downloading something into that flash drive before escaping I thought it was something else entirely different like blueprints of the drones and what not (technically could still be! ) But then that edited footage and that reveal I was all "YOUUUUUUUU SNEAKY LITTLE COCK SUCKERS!" Just DAMN.

I'll be okay with it if they like...fix it with a good story.  Maybe the Chameleon or something.  I dunno.

Mysterio was so god damned perfect.  Everything about it was super comic booky with the effects and crazy shit going on.  I couldn't believe how good it looked (I have now idea why @h2ojunkie said the CG was bad or whatever).  Smoke, mirrors, and crazy illusions all over.  Fucking loved it.  Him explaining his entire plan straight to us in the middle of the movie was maybe a BIT much but otherwise, beautiful.  Dude carried this movie.

Him and MJ is fine though like Kyle said, she seems more like Ultimate Gwen Stacy (who is absolutely nothing like regular Gwen Stacy).  It's fine I guess?  It's weird they didn't just use Gwen Stacy with this personality since that is already established but honestly, in reality, a lot of Pete's girlfriends are boring wallpaper a lot of the time anyway and Mary Jane did always have that rebellious streak about her so it kinda works.

I'm not in love with the fact that every threat so far that he has faced is related to something that Tony did.  I'm hoping as they move away from Iron Man now that he's dead that Peter will kind of shine on his own.  I do really enjoy that this one is dorky AND a genius.  They tend to gloss over that with Spider-Man a lot of the time.  You can see why Tony saw what he did in him and why he's basically the one who might one day succeed Tony (I can see them fast tracking the MCU Peter one day to his status in Parker Industries and shit at some point).  I think I'm okay with that aspect but I'd like to see some villains that weren't Tony's leftovers you know?  Let's get some new motivations. :lol:

I still cannot tell you how happy seeing Simmons at the end made me.  He looked a little odd but as soon as I heard that booming voice I was on fucking cloud 9. :rotfl:

Fury being a Skrull the entire time is odd.  Maybe he goes back and forth?  Not sure what's up there.  When did he go to the space station?  We setting up Secret Invasion here though? :O

That's what a friend of mine were discussing the other day. If Talos and the other Skrull were pretending to be Fury/Hill, just when did that start? She was saying it might have been since the funeral in Endgame but me and her husband were making points that it had to have been after the funeral. When she also wasn't sure if it was Talos as Fury when he was first talking with Peter because he did say "I would have spoken to you at the Funeral" and I pointed out that Talos was probably given all that information from Fury himself if they were on a specific mission from him since they were given the charge of delivering Edith to Peter.

And like you said, How fucking long as Fury been on that ship? Where is that gonna lead us in the MCU storyline?

Also great side notes of hilarity:
-EDITH: Even Dead I'm The Hero :sweat:
- Peter Tingle :rotfl:

Fury wouldn't have had to tell him anything about the funeral if it's been after that point. They get recent memories of the person they shapeshift into as well so he'd probably have known that even if it wasn't him at that point and wasn't told.

• Like 1

Just as good the second time. My only real complaint about the movie is I wish they'd gotten more JJJ-like hair for JK Simmons, but eh, it's not a big deal. I was just super happy to see that dude as JJJ again, seeing how perfect he was in the original trilogy. There was something I noticed this time around that I didn't the first, but to be fair I saw someone on reddit post about it, so I was kinda paying attention for it. Fury is introducing Peter to Quentin, and in the trailer the line Fury says is something like "he's from Earth, just not ours", but in the movie, he says something like "he's from Earth, just not yours", which was a neat little hint that Fury was actually Talos the whole time. I'm thinking he was just playing Fury since after Endgame, as I don't really think Fury would have much of a reason to be up in space beforehand. 

• Like 1
  • Shiny 1

Yeah, there were definitely a few little hints throughout where he said things just a little off. Like I mentioned above, the reverence for Captain Marvel was definitely one that I noticed right off that I thought was weird but didn't actually think too much about it until the end credit reveal. 

Another thing I thought of that should have been a dead ringer for Beck's story being a fake was when he actually labeled the different Earth's. He refered to the the MCU Earth as "Earth-616" even though that's the comic universe designation, and the MCU has its own label already (Earth-199999). I noted it but wasn't sure if it just amounted to him trying to show off, or something else. Wasn't entirely expecting the WHOLE multiverse thing to be a straight up lie since it was such an easy buy-in because we know it's a thing in the comics.

Web and I were talking the other day and said the same thing about Simmons coming back. I was pretty much like "he didn't even LOOK anything like JJJ, but it doesn't even fucking matter." XD

ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT BEAUTIFUL ANGRY YELLING VOICE! :jumboshiny:

• Like 1
  • ROFL 1

need to hear him say "GET ME PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!" again, like...need it to live.

Oh, and there was one more thing I noticed that I just now remembered. Right after Mysterio dies, and MJ and Peter meet up on the bridge, there's an overturned car with a license plate that reads "TASM 143" (or 134, I forget).

Good catch, not sure what is meant by it (if anything though). Checked and there doesn't seem anything terribly relevant to the movie in those issues. 134 is him fighting the Tarantula, Harry learning that Peter is Spider-man and Punisher showing up at the end, and 143 is the "Cyclone" (god they really tried everything for Spider-man villains... >_> ) . The only thing even semi-relevant is in 143 Peter talks to Betty Brandt about when her and Ned Leeds are getting married.

Still a better catch at a potential easter egg than what I've seen some people throwing around. Literally saw an entire video talking about how Happy's "secret code" to Fury about the surf board must have been a Silver Surfer reference... :| 

6 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Literally saw an entire video talking about how Happy's "secret code" to Fury about the surf board must have been a Silver Surfer reference... :| 

I'm so sick of stupid shit like this.  I'm going to start blocking channels like this.  Seriously.  These people are so fucking ridiculous it hurts me to even see these videos exist.

Pro Tip:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blocktube/

Block entire channels with this.  I used it on those fuckers that make fake movie trailers or anyone I find annoying. :rotfl:

I wish it worked for the Shield and my phone. :|

• Like 1

Sony would have to be out of their fucking minds to not keep this Spidey deal going even if it doesn't hit 1 billion.  Seriously.  Their shit attempt at Spider-Man is basically the reason this deal exists in the first place. :rotfl:

• Like 1

Dude not every marvel movie is gonna make a billion. They just be fucking butt hurt that their spidey versions didn't work as well. Haters

This is something that would have been laid down in their original contract when they had no idea what they were going to do or how the movies would be received. Would hardly call it butthurt. Though 1 billion does seem like a bit of a stretch. To date, the only non-Avengers movies (including Civil War in this) that broke 1 billion are Iron Man 3, Black Panther and Captain Marvel I think?

Seems weird this would pop up out of nowhere when this deal has been such a super secret to this point though. Can't help but wonder if it isn't possibly a BS marketing ploy to try and up the numbers while they can. Probably on Sony's side since box office money goes to them. It also seems just like them to hold an IP hostage. >_>

• ROFL 1