Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oneeight

Good Omens

Show was phenomenal. Not sure how it compares to the book as I've never read it, but I've heard good things on that end too.

Also, if the show itself weren't good enough, there's this:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/06/20/thousand-petition-netflix-to-cancel-good-omens-even-though-it-ai/

They've since admitted to the error and redirected the petition, but holy hell. :rotfl: 

I am on ep 3 or 4, but Desi marathoned it and is eagerly awaiting me to finish it so we can talk about it.

The 2 main characters are absolutely adorable :heart:

It was my favourite book when I read it years ago and was so happy that though the series diverges, it still has the book's heart.  Apparently most of what was cut was Neil's material so Terry's could stay in.  It really does feel like a love letter to Terry Pratchett.

I gave away my copy of the book ages ago (to Jane maybe?).  Waiting for my new one to turn up so I can re read it.

Also if you read it and liked it, deffo have a go of Pratchett's Death books (since Good Omens is technically one of them), and Small Gods.

A few days after I had to go down to London for a meeting, so like a giant nerd I headed over to St James's Park to sit on one of their benches

20190622_095239.thumb.jpg.be8dfbc7b4ad0cbdea3b2a3987f55ff1.jpg

• Shiny 1

My understanding is the main reason Gaimen did the writing for the show is because it was basically Pratchett's dying wish that the show be done right and he started writing it the day after his funeral so that was a big reason why he went that way I'm sure.

I finally finished it, omfg that was so good. I was literally clapping and cheering at the end!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:54 AM, oneeight said:

It was my favourite book when I read it years ago and was so happy that though the series diverges, it still has the book's heart.  Apparently most of what was cut was Neil's material so Terry's could stay in.  It really does feel like a love letter to Terry Pratchett.

:cries:

On 6/22/2019 at 9:54 AM, oneeight said:

I gave away my copy of the book ages ago (to Jane maybe?).  Waiting for my new one to turn up so I can re read it.

Is that where my copy came from?? We've had a copy sitting around that I knew I hadn't bought, but I thought it must have been from my mum's house (I inherited most of the family's Discworlds and have read many of them a million times but not GO yet). I'd offer to return but you've just said you're waiting on a new one... :riiight:

On that note - anyone who's seen/read both, any thoughts on if it'd be better to read the book or watch the series first? We don't have Amazon Prime, and I'm thinking of activating the free trial thing in August so we can watch the series when we're on holiday, and contemplating whether to read the book now or wait til after then.

It's yours to keep :3 

I think book first, so you can get your own ideas of the characters, cos Michael Sheen and David Tennant are too fucking good at their jobs and you will not see Az and Crowley any other way after the series.

• Like 1

It'll be awhile before I will get to watch this but I really want to!

On 6/24/2019 at 8:20 PM, oneeight said:

It's yours to keep :3 

I think book first, so you can get your own ideas of the characters, cos Michael Sheen and David Tennant are too fucking good at their jobs and you will not see Az and Crowley any other way after the series.

:heart:

Ha, good point! Will start reading. :D