Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Summer Anime 2019

With Spring season slowly drawing to a close. I decided to start peeking at what's gonna be coming out for summer. And I'm stoked.

https://anichart.net/Summer-2019

Definitely List:
Dungeon ni Deai 2 (FINALLY)
Enen no Shouboutai
Lord El Melloi
Tenki no Ko movie
Violet Evergarden Gaiden
Ni no Kuni movie
One Punch Man 2 OVA
KONOSUBA MOVIE

Maybehs:
BEM
Dr. Stone
Vinland Saga
Tsujou Kougeki
Given
Totsukuni no Shoujou

I'm sure there's gonna be some other gems in there depending but this is my estimate list at first glance.

I'm curious about Dr. Stone based on the promo video I watched on Crunchyroll. But I hadn't looked at the charts yet to see what else is coming. Probably going to watch less during the summer season.

Okay after seeing the trailer for Dr. Stone I have mixed feels on if this will be good or not.

I'm definitely checking out Dr Stone because there's been some hype around it, gonna go in blind.

I gonna scale back my anime-watching a bit more this season (I say that every season but actually did manage to do it this last one) because I want to do other things.

I think there's only two or three anime continuing next season that I was watching and it doesn't look like there's any significant sequels this summer, so I'll feel around for a closet hit or two and then maybe watch some of my anime backlog.

• Like 1

Just checked the PV for Fire Force (Enen no Shouboutai?) and I gotta say it really caught my eye. Gonna have to watch the first episode to see more. 

I'm excited for that one since it's the same animation as Soul Eater. And the story definitely sounds great.

You guys watch the 1st episode of this Sacred Beasts thing? I might be kinda hooked. 

I watched the first 10ish mins of it. I like the look and style but trying to keep the light anime sched :lurk:

First addition to my list:

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo/O Maidens In Your Savage Season

Second Addition:

Joshikousei no Mudazukai/The Wasteful Life of High School Girls

Dr Stone 1

The first ten minutes were awesome, the last ten were kinda boring but necessary to move the story forward.

Using real life science to show how they're cheating the original course of evolution to rebuild society is interesting but maybe not exciting, but the outro (I assume the intro) made it look like there was going to be some kind of combat later so that might add that extra bit needed to it

Enen no Shouboutai/Fire Force was a little interesting. It's basically if your local firemen were a dungeons and dragons party. High-quality animation too.

I'm not sure I'll stick with it but I'm at least gonna watch one or two more to see if the quality sticks

That's why I have my 5 ep rule.

I watched the Sacred Beasts one and I'm curious. I need to catch up after the 4th and work and binging Stranger Things 3

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Death Rider Mox said:

Enen no Shouboutai/Fire Force was a little interesting. It's basically if your local firemen were a dungeons and dragons party. High-quality animation too.

I'm not sure I'll stick with it but I'm at least gonna watch one or two more to see if the quality sticks

I haven't watched yet but I was curious about it based on the PV. Good to hear that the animation is high quality, at least.

But I was also interested in Dr. Stone based on the PV and after having watched the first episode, I'm not so sure about it. After watching a full episode I realized I didn't like the character designs, and I my first impression of Senku is especially not good. Kinda hard to enjoy a show when you think the main character is a dipshit :rotfl:  I'll give it one, max two more episodes. Looking pretty drop-worthy right now though...

Finally catching up. Here are initial thoughts of what I have seen on my lists so far.
Dan Machi- FUCK YOU FOR YOUR RECAP EPS! I'VE WAITED LONG ENOUGH
Enen no Shouboutai- Already loving it, it has that unique animation style that Soul Eater had but flows much better and the background stories are already catching me.
Lord El Melloi- HGNNN Yaasss more continuing from Fate/Stay!
Dr. Stone- While the story concept is interesting Idk how long I will stay interested with the brain and brute act (the brute being ANNOYING AF) Just holy fuck.....

Vinland Saga- Is it really a surprise that one of the only Ren-faire nerds from This and other Center forums would be hooked on this?

Re: thoughts on Dr. Stone

Spoiler

What I'm assuming will take up about the first 5 to 7 episodes is before the series truly comes into its full form.  Better cast of characters, less focus on Taiju, and higher stakes.  There is some more combat-like elements to the series, though, and the arc that starts the show will incorporate that soon.  Ultimately, it's very combat-light, but it starts making up for it with the different conflicts they come across.

• Like 1

Re:

Spoiler

We know that there will be more characters becoming free from the stone from the trailer seen even if we didn't know that the stone is weakening. They've name dropped a couple other characters as Taiju explored that we've seen in the trailer. I'm hoping it moves forward quickly is all I'm saying but I wouldn't be surprised if Psycho's assumption is correct.

Also I may add Cop Craft to my list. The animation is good and the story seems interesting.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:05 PM, little birdy said:

Just checked the PV for Fire Force (Enen no Shouboutai?) and I gotta say it really caught my eye. Gonna have to watch the first episode to see more. 

Fell asleep during this one :rotfl: I didn't find the 1st episodes of either this or Dr. Stone super compelling. 

• Like 1

Yeah, if they keep up the animation on Fire Force, I might keep watching it, but the actual content isn't all that compelling.

Why I have 5 episode minimum rule :gaigrin: Unless it's just a fuck nope for some particular reason

Sacred Beasts, on the other hand, I'm pretty into it so far. The story ain't great or anything, but I liked the twists in the first episode of dude getting screwed over by his girl and then her getting backstabbed by the other guy. I like the captain being on a mission to terminate all his men because that's what they swore they'd do. And I like the introduction of the defiant cute sidekick in episode #2. It's like a really weird anime spin on a buddy cop movie :rotfl:  Start out hating each other but have to be partners, but they'll be buds by the end.

• Like 1

Dr. Stone Intrigues me. Probably the first new anime in a long time to do that.

• Like 2

Dr. Stone Ep 2: New character is basically a more intelligent Goku

• ROFL 1

2 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Dr. Stone Ep 2: New character is basically a more intelligent Goku

That's a brilliant way to describe him that I wouldn't have thought of :lol:

Seriously! The man has unnatural strength, starts assessing the situation and now after finishing the episode wants to cleanse the new world by killing off the old and weak? IT'S FUCKING VEGETA AND GOKU COMBINED

Given- Kinda reminds me of a slightly revamped Gravitation. So far it's cute
Tsuujou Kougeki- Ehhhhh I'll give it two more eps.
Fire Force- I can't help but feel bad for Shinra with that nervous smile.
DANMACHI! FINALLY A REAL EPISODE: Apollo is a creeeeeper god.

Dr Stone 2

This was a little more interesting

So if I'm reading the flow of this opening arc correctly, each episode will hatch someone from the Stone and they'll add their extreme special skill to their group, and then we'll learn useful science shit and application of it in Caveman days.

Though I was kind of annoyed that Taiju would carry Yuzuriha instead of hatching here there because dropping her would make her unable to be restored.

I can't tell if the new guy is a villain or not, there seems to be a lot of that going around in the newer shonens, faking you out with villain tropes but the person is actually a good guy.

Dat "Dr Stone"

Oh SHIT, he just killed that guy's via decap'ing his stone form, def a villain

A chance to purify humanity with a youthful revolution, maybe he's a hero after all :lurk:

Things really start changing after Tsukasa's introduction.  Adds some much needed tension.  I'm really excited to see how these next few chapters play out in animated form.

36 minutes ago, Death Rider Mox said:

Dr Stone 2

This was a little more interesting

Hide contents

So if I'm reading the flow of this opening arc correctly, each episode will hatch someone from the Stone and they'll add their extreme special skill to their group, and then we'll learn useful science shit and application of it in Caveman days.

Though I was kind of annoyed that Taiju would carry Yuzuriha instead of hatching here there because dropping her would make her unable to be restored.

I can't tell if the new guy is a villain or not, there seems to be a lot of that going around in the newer shonens, faking you out with villain tropes but the person is actually a good guy.

Dat "Dr Stone"

Oh SHIT, he just killed that guy's via decap'ing his stone form, def a villain

A chance to purify humanity with a youthful revolution, maybe he's a hero after all :lurk:

Spoiler

You're not too far off from the format, though it doesn't quite always play out like that.  I'm a tad bit worried, because I think there were some panels that were skipped in this episode that really help build the story between Senku and Tsukasa.  But I may be misremembering and it'll be in the next episode.  It's like a small thing that ends up meaning a lot more later in the series.

I don't know which annoys me more, the fact that Tsuji is such a dumbass brute or the fact that he knows and accepts this and continues on as long as he knows his lady will be eventually revived. Like " Okie Dokie Georgie! " Does he also hafta be so loud 24/7? Reminds me of fucking Asta in Black Clover :rotfl:

I'm more on board with Tsukasa's plan than Senku's :lol: 

Still can't stand Senku and the way he is written. Taiju is alright though. "Yuzuriha doesn't have a dick!" I fuckin died :rotfl:

That's kind of the beauty of it.  Both Tsukasa and Senku have their own idealistic views that divide your loyalties, but I think Senku begins proving the heart behind his dreams as the series continues.

I only got to see ep 1 of Dr. Stone (cause crunchyroll is assholes) and I really liked what I saw.

8 hours ago, Galeigh said:

(cause crunchyroll is assholes)

:confused:

Is it because they're always a week behind the air dates?

• Like 1

the lock out the newest episode to subscribers. And jesus fucking christ the ads, I had to do some tweaking to chrome for my adblock to work otherwise it was 10 minutes of ads for every 3 minutes of video.

Just now, Galeigh said:

the lock out the newest episode to subscribers.

Wait, what?  I've been able to watch the day of both weeks so far.  Do you mean non-subscribers?

Crunchyroll has a premium membership thing, only they get to see the newest episodes, the rest have to wait a week. Also Ads, fuck their ads.

Ya no surprise there.

1 hour ago, Galeigh said:

Crunchyroll has a premium membership thing, only they get to see the newest episodes, the rest have to wait a week. Also Ads, fuck their ads.

The ads are unfortunate I guess, but you didn't expect everything to be immediately available for free did you? They gotta make money somehow. A premium membership isn't even very expensive. Less $$$ per month than Netflix or Spotify IIRC. It's not a bad deal to get all the latest anime that they have licensed, ad free. (+ a kinda shitty selection of manga ... easy way to stay current with SnK at least!)

1 hour ago, Galeigh said:

Ahhh, I thought you meant you had a paid subscription.  Carry on.

3 hours ago, little birdy said:

The ads are unfortunate I guess, but you didn't expect everything to be immediately available for free did you? They gotta make money somehow. A premium membership isn't even very expensive. Less $$$ per month than Netflix or Spotify IIRC. It's not a bad deal to get all the latest anime that they have licensed, ad free. (+ a kinda shitty selection of manga ... easy way to stay current with SnK at least!)

I dont use Crunchyroll enough to warrant paying for it, and locking eps behind a paywall is shitty when you are already dumping more ads than any other video streaming service

I think it's doubtful that ad revenue alone would cover Crunchyroll's operating costs. I don't think their competitors can get away with not paywalling content either. 

Fire Force is starting to cut corners animation-wise in episode 3 :(

Actually that's how a lot of the manga art style is. Soul Eater was no different. A lot of that artists style was scratchy and rough almost as much as the artist of One Punch Man was. I love it.

Girl is having trouble figuring out her feelings for her childhood friend, so  she goes to the obvious source to learn more about boys

tumblr_pvfapgqmQi1vymbt8o1_1280.jpg

Friedrich Nietzsche

Maidens of the Savage Season is so good.

• ROFL 2

Slix: You been watching the Fate/Zero spinoff? I just caught up on it this week. I skimmed past it in the charts not realizing what it was. Waver was definitely not one of my favourite Fate characters, but Rider was the fuckin man and I hope he gets summoned again in this show :salute:

YUS I HAVE, I knew it what it was when I saw an OAV spin off they did like....last year I think and back then I didn't realize it first watching it until they tied it together in the end of it so I was totally excited that they're bringing it back!