Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eizan

Final Fantasy V - Four Job Fiesta

@little birdy I actually signed up this time. Playing Career Day got me in to FFV a little bit. 

For anyone else interested in FJF

Note: Career Day is the new FFV Randomizer that came out about 2 months ago I think. 

• Shiny 1

Eizan :love2:

FFV is definitely my favourite Final Fantasy, so as always I'm stoked for the Fiesta. 

I'm pre-reg'd for a Random run with Berserker Risk. Donations are off to a bit of a slow start so I'm not sure how many Berserkers there will be to go around, but I'm hoping to get at least one. 

What kinda run are you signed up for? What version of the game will you be playing?

• Like 1

I registered for Pure Chaos. 

Right now the only version of the game I have is the playstation version. Not sure if there is a English translation for the SNES version. 

Yeah there's the RPGe fan translation SNES rom from way back. It's my favourite version to play. I guess it's quite a literal translation to English - there isn't much character in the dialog like in FFV Advance, but I still like this version best. The PlayStation port is better than nothing I suppose but I can't stand how slow it is. At least the translation on PS is so terrible it makes the game fun in a different way :lol:

You can grab that RPGe version here: https://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff5/ff5down.htm

Yagamoth won The Run. The Fiesta should officially start any time now. Gotta keep checking the Players page until I see that all of the Wind jobs have unlocked... :nailbiting2:

I can at least play up to the Wind crystal and then save and wait to find out my first job...

Nice. Time Mage can make this game so easy, real game breaking potential. 

I'm starting with Thief and expect to get a Berserker for my Water job. 

Job #2 is indeed Berserker :shiny:

Time to head off into the Fire Powered Ship!

I just got to Walse, so I should be getting my 2nd job soon and actual access to my first one. 

:thumbs:

I was playing during down time at work yesterday and got to the Earth crystal. (I use fast forward liberally) My full team is: Thief; Berserker; Summoner; Samurai. Fairly easy win, should be fun. 

You can check my twitch account I streamed the start last night. I've died 3 times though. Once to Siren, Magissa and underground of Walse Castle. 

The boss fights are kinda tricky when you can't use anything but regular attacks. 

Once you can load up on rods in Karnak you've got it easy because your Time Mages can break them. Unless you want to avoid that. Some people think it's a cheap tactic. 

Water Crystal Job = Knight

Fire Crystal Job = Blue Mage (Sucks this is after Karnak Castle is gone.)

Bummer you missed out on some Blue spells in the castle, but you still have some really good ones coming up. Definitely no shortage of firepower on your team!

First victory in the books :shiny:

Steam rolled the game from the start of Galuf's World and on. Summoner and Samurai make the game very easy. I hit NeoExdeath with my party all level 33. Nobody had enough HP to take an Almagest, but my Samurai's Aegis Shield had a chance to block Almagest. Took a bunch of tries to get the luck factors to line up, but once I was able to dodge that Almagest then Exdeath was toast. 

I can get an easy win over Shinryu with this party but Omega will be way more work than it is worth. 

WIN01.png

Reg'd for a second run, decided to restrict myself to Classic Jobs only. So here's what I will have to work with: Bartz White Mage; Lenna White Mage; Faris Thief; Galuf/Krile Black Mage. Can't see many roadblocks to an easy win here. I think I'll challenge myself to finish at as low a level as possible to spice it up a bit.

Yeah it's a challenge play where you are limited to just four jobs. But you don't pick for yourself - Gilgabot picks for you. A "standard" run is one job per crystal, and you typically wait until you reach each crystal before revealing your job for that crystal. It's more fun with a bit of surprise. And there are other variants that change up the job pools (completely random, popular jobs, only magic casting jobs, only melee jobs, etc). I picked the Classic Jobs restriction (some combo of Knight, Monk, Thief, Black/White/Red Mage) for my latest run.

I really like playing FF5 with the goofier jobs. I have a real soft spot for Geomancer and Dancer - gotta love that randomness. But then it's also fun when you roll one of the game-breaking jobs that just makes everything easy. There truly isn't a four job combo that won't work.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into this next time I play.  I actually beat it all the way for the first time a few months ago and I'm playing FFIX at the moment, so I probably won't do it any time soon.  But it sounds like an awesome way to go through it.

I'm lagging a little I just finished Ancient Library and got the ship, BTW I was fucking panicking when my party got to level 15.  

:lol: Yeah a full party wipe from L.5 Death ain't fun

First job is Bard :/ the waiting game begins

2nd job is Dancer... I'd rather not do the fireship freelance X_X

But you can use all the items! Sucks that all the ABP you're accumulating is going nowhere but it won't be difficult. 

3rd job is Chemist... I have the makings or a great party but this start is painful

You don't have Bard until you get the black chocobo right? Keep breaking those rods :lol: 4 Bards vs. SolCannon, etc. isn't very fun though. 

Correct haha. it's going to be stupid annoying to kill it X_X

I guess you can make your whole team Hide before every blast of the cannon?

Is there an item that will cause Sap? 

There is a strat in FFIV where you can cast Virus on Zeromus and hide with Edward, wait 17 hours and boom dead. :lurk:

No item that bards can use that I know of. Hell harps dont even work on bosses so gonna need to dagger it up. 

7 hours ago, little birdy said:

I guess you can make your whole team Hide before every blast of the cannon?

Havent tried yet. Was grinding a bit and was getting annoyed.

Update.

4 Bard sandworm can suck my genitals. Had to stab the hell out of him with daggers since I dont have any of the buff songs yet....

:rotfl:

Somewhat of an under appreciated job, I feel like. !Control is pretty darn useful - especially since you have Blue Mage. Makes learning some very useful spells much easier. End of the game is so much easier when you have White Wind and Mighty Guard. Not to mention all the useful Catch/Release monsters there are.

Best master is a great job honestly. I've taken a break from singing my way to the earth crystal -_-

Victory #2 in the books. I had just barely enough max HP to take an Almagest as long as everybody had Shell status. It was close though. And I nearly screwed up my timing at the end and NeoExdeath got one Meteor off. Luckily only Faris got hit hard by it. 

Screenshot_20190708-103809.png

@Eizan

@Rulkster

Did either of you sign up for the Fiesta this summer? I'm close to halfway through my run, just about to go up the Barrier Tower. Very easy run with the jobs I rolled.

fjf.png

I have not. I never finished last years.

I'm watching Elmagus do runs, so I maybe tempted to try it again. However my lack of knowledge of FFV kinda prevents me from doing it. 

I forgot about it 100% and just got a new PC a few weeks ago so no roms and junk atm >.>

Update: Did a random run and got Chemist for first job

21 hours ago, Eizan said:

I have not. I never finished last years.

I'm watching Elmagus do runs, so I maybe tempted to try it again. However my lack of knowledge of FFV kinda prevents me from doing it. 

I guess if you're trying to speed run it or do a solo challenge then it helps to have more intimate knowledge of the game, but otherwise you don't really need that much knowledge of the game!

Only a couple more dungeons to take care of so I can get Holy for my White Mage and then I'll be ready to hit the Void. I got hung up for a bit this afternoon trying to find a Stingray to learn Mighty Guard from (super rare encounter) but I got it eventually! NeoExdeath will be easy for this team.

And we're done :) Pretty much a flawless final boss battle. Too easy. My party was in the level 29-32 range because I wasn't running from all the random encounters in the final dungeons. Could have won at lower levels, though too low and I wouldn't have had enough HP to survive Alamagest even with Mighty Guard up.

WIN1.png

• Shiny 1

Alright starting one now. First job is White Mage. 

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I started a second run, gonna make it a solo run for a bit of a challenge. First job is Thief. Not the easiest start, but workable.

Fighting bosses with just White Mages was painfully slow, now I unlocked Thief. Not sure that makes things better. 

It will be slow going, yeah, but at least you can cast Protect on front row characters and heal lots. Get the Healing Staff for free unlimited castings of Cura. Hopefully your Fire job will be better, otherwise Byblos is going to be a headache for you. 

My solo run is progressing... slowly :|

Started with Thief, which required power-levelling to get through to the Water crystal. At least I learned !Mug in the process. Rolled Berserker for my Water job - of course. More grinding to be able to get past LiquiFlame. Rolled Beastmaster for Fire job. I actually like Beastmaster, but it's not as good as the other jobs I could have gotten. Getting through to the Earth crystal won't be *hard* but it will be a bit of a slog. 

I peaked ahead and my Earth job is Dragoon, so I'll be finishing the game as a Dragoon with Thief and Beastmaster abilities in his arsenal. Again, shouldn't be too hard... but it won't exactly be a breeze. 

Slow, Haste, Stop, Float, the ability to break rods for endless -aga spells, Comet for offense in Galuf's world, and then Quick and Meteor late game (plus you will have White Mage's Holy). You've officially got an easy win :thumbs: Time Mage is one of the jobs that basically breaks this game. 

Had some free time and got to the Water crystal but when I went to tweet for my job it wouldn't give me one 😕