Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anelle

The Rising of the Shield Hero

Been meaning to watch this a while, finally got around to it and binged until current and now I've even got Lee watching it. Anyone else watching this?

• Like 1

Yup

In some ways it's pretty trashy but I keep watching and enjoying anyhow. 

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel! It's the enjoyable kind of trashy. I like all the weird politics going on and how fucking no one bothers to explain them until it's suddenly relevant and Naofumi is just like "yeah no one told me that" and then everyone just keeps going with that level of knowledge until another twist is needed. It's dumb but I've been entertained by it, so by all means keep suddenly spouting stuff that'd have been SUPER HELPFUL to know

I found it amusing how the other three heroes seemed to assimilate into the world so easily meanwhile everything has to be a pain in the ass for Naofumi. And then the poor guy ends up being the only useful hero and saving everybody all the time, often not getting the credit. I like the grudgingly-a-hero kind of hero that Naofumi is.

I think that's the real draw to the show for me. It's definitely why I had Lee watch it. Naofumi learns a hard lesson and hardens the fuck up over it. 

Round out the party with Raphtalia and Filo and you got a super likeable cast of characters :nod: 

Totally been watching this. I like how it was the total polar opposite of Slime Datta Ken anime when they both aired. One adapted to the new world totally while the other got the shit stick of the draw. Yea most of it is predictable but it reminded me of a manga I own that has a similar-ish storyline in terms of struggling and survival in the new environment.

Spoiler

- I honestly can't wait to hear the source of why the Shield Hero gets the treatment they do. I was surprised/slightly disappointed but also kinda glad that Fitalia didn't have full memory of her younger days of the Heros since it felt like it was going to be a background telling story but ended up differently.
- I seriously want Princess Cunt Face and Spear Hero to get their end even if the Spear Hero is a fucking derpy lolita kink labrador.
- I'm curious how beastmen races age since after seeing Raphtalia's friend and seeing the HUGE difference between them.

I can tell you why the bias against him if you want. 

I would say yes but I'm enjoying the mystery of it. If my patience runs out I'll let you know :P

Ok. There are other spoilers involved in the explanation too, just to be clear. 

I used to read the LN, but it kept making me angry so I had to stop. 

Ep 18

Spoiler

I KNEW THAT POPE WAS NO GOOD! FUCK HIM FUCK HIM FUCK HIM!!!!

In your face Spear Hero. How's it feel to be blamed for something that's stupid!? IN YOUR FUCKING FACE NAOFUMI SHOULD HAVE JUST LET YOU DIE AND THE BITCH WHO'S ASS YOU SNIFF.

Ep 18

Spoiler

Pope finally reveals himself but all I can think is "goddamn how fucking dumb is Motoyasu" 

which is what I think every time he shows up

I mean damn, dude. You dumb.

Spoiler

Considering that the Heros played a lot of mmrpg and various types of games. From the way Motoyasu fell for Cunt-princess's stories without so much as getting hint of vag and very much believes that all of Naofumi's female party are so "brainwashed" into following him we can easily imagine the types of games he played especially dating sim games.

Other thing that bothers me is that NOW of all times the rest of Motoyasu's party members other than Cunt-princess actually do something in the middle of a battle. Like that is the one thing that's bugged me is that all the other heros were given party members and up until recently they haven't done squat.

Pretty suspenseful episode ending :uhoh:

Ep 19

Spoiler

THAAAAAAAAAAAAATS RIGHT, RUB THEIR SHIT IN THEIR FACES! TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR DUMBASS ACTIONS! IN YOUR FACE!

Now can we deal with the Pope now?

Gotta wait another week for the real action... :|

Pretty much

Best part of this week's episode was probably Filo's comments re: Spear Hero and his party :rotfl:

It's so true. Seriously we finally see them DOING something other than Princess of the Twats and they are pretty much useless. Granted you don't see most action from the Bow and Sword heros parties either but Spear hero's party is like 2nd most shown group in action when they're near Naofumi's party or confronting him and it's just them standing there majority of the time. ?

Ep 19

Spoiler

It was SO satisfying to watch the other 3 heroes go for their big "SHALL WE UNITE AS HEROES" shot and be totally snubbed. I had to pause to cackle and replay that part

• Like 1

For real. We've been waiting a long time for that

Ep 20

Spoiler

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Ya gonna get the Queen on your asses now!

Well that didn't take long for the Dragon power to take over.
That's it. Let the power of your Harem soothe you.
CALLING IT HERE THE POPE ISN'T HUMAN!
Welllllllll shit.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!
Oh THAT was beautiful!

That skill was really something.

Spoiler

well that was.... a thing that happened lmao

like things had escalated but i can't say I was expecting the river of molten blood skill thing hahahaha

Spoiler

I'm kinda not surprised considering it's titled Blood Sacrifice. I was just more surprised that it need HIS blood for the sacrifice before taking out the pope :lolgrin:

The Queen :love2:

• Like 1

:rotfl: Ep 21

Spoiler

FUUUUUUUUUCK YES!  THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING DICK WITCHES! Oh it's a trial? Pfft still goes. They deserve it.

YEESSSS! SHOCK THAT CUNT! Even Motoyasu is seeing the light!

Dude Queen is a Dragon to the core. And Naofumi is amazing.
OMG THE QUEEN ACTUALLY WENT WITH THEE VERDICT :rotfl:

Awww cute sappy ending. Is this the end of the season?

Ep 21

Spoiler

ok but we still didn't really learn motivations

70ebd9b5cb965deb5c2cb248578a696a.png

so no one learned anything, cool

edit to add: no, there are 25 eps

• Like 1

Spoiler

If we don't learn motivation behind the anger against shield hero by the end. Then I'll cave into Galeigh's offer. If there's 4 more eps left then we might still learn. Or they'll be assholes and save it for a possible season 2.

I kinda agree with the not learning anything. Other than Motoyasu possibly learning not to be so dumb for a pretty face (which I doubt) I feel like after they just go jump into the ceremony after Naofumi declined (AND STILL HAVEN'T APOLOGIZED TO HIM PROPER THE ASSHATS) They more or less are still treating this experience as a mmorpg game.

If they don't do another season and this turns out to be one of those anime where you never see the end of the story, then this episode was almost the perfect place to end it.

No way 1 season even comes close. 

Ep 22

Spoiler

Totally not surprised that the other 3 heros are acting like they are
:rotfl: Getting used to Princess Slut's new name is gonna be fun!
Ara ara? New player to the field?

Ep 23

Spoiler

Hahahahaha serves them right to get sea sick. Jerks
Damn that's a strong berry.
UNDERWATER DUNGEON!
Well shit......

Bring on the next Wave

For sure no. I'm honestly wondering if there's more than 4 Heros when I saw L'Arc in the opening. But the title of the next ep makes me wonder that now

Ep 24

Spoiler

"What a twist!" Whelp it was nice having extra allies while we did....

Next ep is gonna be intense.

I do like how they finished it off. I'll cry if there's no 2nd season

Great spot to end it. I prefer to be left wanting more rather than for something to get tired, so I actually kinda hope they just leave it at this. 

• Like 1