Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

Samples vs. Instruments

I'm not quite sure what the musical taste is hear, but I was curious what everyone's opinion is of sampling in music.  Specifically, I'm thinking full samples from other pre-recorded songs.  The kind you hear in old school hip-hop and various forms of electronica.  But this could be a broader discussion about live instruments vs. digital/sampled instruments as well.  Personally, I love the sound of a well-used sample.  As a hip-hop head, I think it's fascinating how some people can take some obscure sample and transform it into a hip-hop beat, even if it's literally taking the beat and throwing some kick drums on it.    Even making music, I find it fun to mix sounds I create through a keyboard with actual samples of random songs.  I'm also a huge fan of using vocal samples, or ones that seem to punctuate a line or story.

That said, I do believe in trying to mix or chop the sample enough to where you are making something new with it.  With hip-hop, it's a little different for me, but I think any good musician will try to push the bar more than always using the aforementioned kick drum solution.  I guess to me it's really just about whether it sounds good, but I know some people feel adamantly about keeping it all original.

Thoughts?  Do you like or hate samples?  Do you care?

Yeah, pretty much! The only thing that annoys me slightly about sampling is if the song doing the sampling turns out to be weak/worse than the song it samples, and then all you wanna do is listen to the 'original' song :uhoh:

• Like 1

Yeah I've definitely run into that lol.  The song they sample is like A REALLY good song and you're like... Why am I isn't listening to this instead of that really good song? :xd:

On 4/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, Lucy said:

Yeah, pretty much! The only thing that annoys me slightly about sampling is if the song doing the sampling turns out to be weak/worse than the song it samples, and then all you wanna do is listen to the 'original' song :uhoh:

AKA Ice Ice Baby Roulette

• Like 1
  • ROFL 1

PRESSHAH

COMIN DOWN ON YOU

COMIN DOWN ON ME