Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anelle

I'm still fat and sassy

I also do wildlife rehab so I will endlessly mention possums.

ok edit because I should actually put effort since we're going for actually talking to each other-----

These days I do wildlife rehab, specializing in opossums, and help run a blog about weird thrift store finds. It's all really fun and rewarding, but can be quite challenging at times. 

• Like 2
  • Shiny 1

The sassiest and the possumest

• Like 1

I thought this was Webhead's thread based on the title, but I'm still satisfied.

You serious about this opossum business?  Aren't they really aggressive?

• ROFL 1
  • Sad 1

Very serious! They're not! They bluff like hell but the majority of them aren't gonna do shit other than hiss and maybe lunge at you before the play-dead thing kicks in (it's involuntary) or if there's a path they're gonna book it. They have a lot of teeth and can make awful noises but they're cowards. I still wouldn't recommend trying to mess with an adult possum, but they ain't tough. They just wanna eat bugs and snakes and shit and live their tiny lives in peace.

• Like 1

So how does this work?  Someone finds an injured possum and they call you?  Give me the deets.

Pretty much! We're a small potatoes rehab group so we don't have funding for a home facility (although we're working really hard trying to get one) so for the past few years the head of our organization ran it out of her own home. We have a phone line people can call, but I'm not entirely sure if she's actively running that or not at the moment since she no longer uses her home as base of operations because it was just too invasive for her family and she needed her life back. Even without the dedicated intake line, we pretty much operate within a network of rehabbers anyway so a lot of our cases come to us via others who are too full or just can't take an animal. Word of mouth too, one of our members might get a call from someone who heard from a friend they do rehab and all that! 

In general I just take in orphans to raise to release age, I'm not personally equipped to deal with a lot of injuries, but I've dealt with some. We have a vet we work with too, which is really cool! They'll contact us if they have someone bring in wildlife and are trained to treat various wildlife as well, not just pets which is rare for your average vet. 

Wow I talk to you occasionally and I don't think we ever actually went over this.  I'm really glad you actually posted this.  Lol.  That is cool as shit.  That must keep you very busy!

Also link your blog.  I'll put it in the Quick Links section on the Portal.  Collecting stuff from everyone here over there. :unkeke:

Shiftythrifting.com is where we're trying to move all our content but we originated as a Tumblr blog and only recent got it back after being locked out for a few months because Tumblr is fucking stupid, so now we're having to reintegrate all of it so some stuff doesn't show up on the main site yet, just tumblr. 

*tacke hugs Nelle*

:D

11 hours ago, Tassifox said:

*tacke hugs Nelle*

Please tone down the violence :umyeah:

She can take it, we curvy chicks are built for this. :cheers: