Old School Forum
webhead

Stranger Things

Season 3 is coming!

Stranger Things always has dope ass trailers and this is no exception. I can’t think of a TV trailer ever made that’s better than this one. Brilliant use of Baba O’Riley. 

• Like 2

S1 Stranger Things, one thing I really liked about it is that it set up all these tropish characters, and then went on to make everyone more moral and much smarter than you'd think, everyone cooperated and made clever decisions.

2 introduced the character of Billy Hargrove, who went against that without really being fleshed. All's I'm saying is I hope they do something with him in any direction.

24 minutes ago, Hornet said:

S1 Stranger Things, one thing I really liked about it is that it set up all these tropish characters, and then went on to make everyone more moral and much smarter than you'd think, everyone cooperated and made clever decisions.

2 introduced the character of Billy Hargrove, who went against that without really being fleshed. All's I'm saying is I hope they do something with him in any direction.

On a related note, in S1 Will was a complete non-factor simply because the plot called for him to be absent. S2 he becomes MVP.  The well of talent on this show is deep.

Good point well made. I guess they made him a lifeguard, so that's something!

I’d be shocked if Billy doesn’t get a redemptive arc.  

Honestly I think they'll go in the other direction and flesh out his nastiness, maybe he's pro-upside-down or attuned or something.

I've got no problem with them having a human villain, I just don't like they basically made him a cobra kai dick; when so far they've been so obviously going in a more interesting direction with each trope character each time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hornet said:

Honestly I think they'll go in the other direction and flesh out his nastiness, maybe he's pro-upside-down or attuned or something.

Yeah this is what I'm feeling.  Dude was fucking evil.  There's no redemption for him, it's just going to keep going further, I think.

They went pretty hard and heavy with the "abusive father" trope for him in S2, so it could really go either way. They could easily double down with him (maybe kill father while shit is going down so he gets lumped in with any other losses?) or try to redeem him. He was pretty sadistic in S2 though, so I don't know if they'll go the redeeming direction. Knowing this show, they'll present it like they're doing that, and then someone or something will push him over the edge and it'll pull a 180 and he'll end up worse in the transaction.

Yeah it was how sadistic the guy was that makes me think a rebound is just out of the question.  Dude is going down a very dark path in life and I don't see that changing. :uhoh:

I could definitely see what you are saying happening. :nod:

*sits too close to her TV screen with popcorn* Is it time yet?

Whelp. I guess that might answer some questions about where things will go with Billy. :uhoh:

Just finished the season.

I need a cigarette. Or a drink. Or both. 

Rebinged the previous 2 seasons and started ep 1 of season 3 now.

Spoiler

Hopper definitely got the dad stach going. Or it maybe just me, just seems more full now.
Almost everybody hooking up here.

Watched a recap video on YouTube and the first 3 episodes last night.  I missed this show. :heart:

Seen all of it, Holy fucking crap last ep thoughts in spoiler

Spoiler

FUCKING RUSSIANS!

Cary EWELES! :love3:
I absolutely loved that the entire fate of the world hinged on Dustin singing Neverending Story :rotfl:
No body which means HOPPER MIGHT NOT BE DEAD! I'M GONNA BELIEVE HE'S NOT DEAD
Debate: Who's the American the Russians have locked up, Poooooooooooossibly Hopper or maybe Burman? We never did see Burman in the aftermath of Starcourt
So El not having her powers is gonna be hard for her for awhile, it's all she's had that she felt identified her and I think she's gonna have a hard time adjusting to that.

The final 5-10ish minutes of Episode Six was masterful in pretty much every way.

Spoiler

El sifting through Billy's past was great and gave us just enough sympathy to make what happened immediately after that much more impactful. 

Billy giving basically the supervillain monologue though the possessed voice of the Flayer while having the expression of a truly scared man that was fighting from inside and holding back tears (before giving that single one) was amazing. The music was perfect for it and will now forever be apart of my soundtrack for giving out Halloween Candy. Then the melting of everyone into one was creepy as fuck. 

• Like 3

I just watched Ep. 6 tonight. Completely agree. Rest of the episode was on point too, but those last few scenes were beautiful.

• Like 2

Finished it Friday.  Another great season.  More thoughts later.  Agree with @Blackjak

• Shiny 1

I watched all 3 seasons in the past few weeks

I had a thought I wanted to share.

I know it is unlikely, but I would prefer if the show was over.  It felt like a fitting end to the series.

• Like 1

Yeah this feels like an end and they kind of just...keep going somehow.  Lol.

In a ways they do end it off nicely. Then they had to fucking dangle Russia in there after the credits. So we're at least gonna possibly get 1 more season if they go at the pacing they do of time lapsing over a year. But I'll be shocked if Netflix attempts to go beyond 1 more season.

• Like 1