Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hornet

Stand-Up Comedy

Stand-Up Comedy has been something I've watched near-daily for years; but I have only very recently attended shows. First comedy gig I went to was Stewart Lee's "Content Provider" which is a hella weird first gig to go to, being as he is really Out There... Followed shortly by Dylan Moran.

I seek out pretty much any Chappelle I can get my hands on, and I really rated Russell Brand a lot up until he decided to get grandiose and quite deluded ideas about being a Left icon... (So; competition)

Dylan Moran bit I like;

Illustrative of what Stewart Lee is like; deliberate contempt for audience; deliberately "fucking up" bits... He's just fuckin good and can sort of Tease every kind of laugh out of you, Awkward laughter, Nervous laughter... Then when the Joke happens (You get abt. 3 conventional jokes per set) you're laughing out of surprise and catharsis as much as the joke.

One standup set I really didn't like what Katt Williams latest (I think?) Netflix special... Where during a fuckin NETFLIX SPECIAL he did about fourty minutes of material on The City in America he was in...

Fuckin why make local interest comedy then put it on Netflix? IDGI.

So; standup comedy, what do you like on telly? What have you seen in person?

I don't really watch a lot. I used to go on binges of Russell Peters through youtube every once in awhile because he's kind of mastered racial-humour-for-everyone and cultural-differences, but I haven't done that in years so who knows if he's still funny or if his brand of humour is even considered acceptable anymore.

Bill Cosby, Himself has kind of joined Chris Benoit's pro wrestling career in the "This is one of the best, but it's hard to disassociate the art from the artist now" part of my mind. Unlike Benoit I'm probably not gonna watch it too many times over again. Maybe if he dies at some point I might watch it sometime afterwards (assuming it's still even easily available on youtube or whatnot)

Speaking of Stewart Lee, the only reason I know who he is because

Pro wrestler Zack Sabre Jr named one of his finishing moves "Orienteering with Napalm Death" after this bit. Probably the second best finishing move name in wrestling after his other finishing move "Hurrah! Another Year, surely this one will be better than the last; the inexorable march of progress will lead us all to happiness."

• Like 1

I've seen Anthony Jeselnik, Frank Caliendo and Louis CK live.

I'd love to see Bill Burr and Chris D'Elia. Chris will be here soon but I don't think I'll make that show.

I saw Jeselnik live with Orange Joe I believe.  I'd fucking love to see Louis CK live as well as Bill Burr.

I just watched Robin Williams' last recorded one, weapons of Mass Destruction.  Was weird because of how old it was but it was funny. I miss him. :(

Netflix is a goldmine of standup shit though.  I really need to sit down and watch it.  I watched the first of the first 2 Chapelle specials and I really need to watch the second and I think there's now a few more?

You either went to the showing before me or we were in the same showing for Jeselnik.

I've seen George Carlin, Ron Funches, Charlie Murphy, and Patton Oswalt live. It was awesome to see Carlin live, but unfortunately a good chunk of it was just old material i'd already heard, so it could've been much better. I've seen Patton a few times now, and that dude does not disappoint. The last time I saw him he was workshopping a bunch of stuff, but it was still really good.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Deimos said:

You either went to the showing before me or we were in the same showing for Jeselnik.

Thursday
Feb 16, 2017
8:00 PM

Yup. I did the 10PM show with myfriend, Jen.

That guy is like the worst person on Earth.  I loved it. :rotfl:

I saw Frankie Boyle with Lucy in Aberdeen and he was spectacular.

Then Stewart Lee with Hornet, which was the best thing I've ever seen aside from Pussy Riot

Then Dylan Moran which was good but not as good as Monster

• Like 1