Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+ 2021)

I cannot wait.  Hawkeye and then this.  LET'S DO IT. :shiny:

Two episodes in and i'm loving it. Getting to know more about Boba Fett is pretty fucking dope. They even re-introduce a character in this one from the most recent comics, specifically the Doctor Aphra series.

Episode 2 spoilers

Apparently the bar Boba goes to in order to kick the shit out of the swoop biker gang is supposed to be Tosche Station, which Luke mentions wanting to go to in A New Hope, and the two humans (not counting the bartender) are friends of Luke's.

It's also really been neat exploring more about the Tuskens, their ritual at the end gave off serious Pacific Islander vibes. I feel like i've seen a move or two in Samoan war dances or whatever they're called. I'm enjoying the back and forth between the current time, and Boba's time between getting out of the Sarlacc (which Patton Oswalt sort of "called" in his scene in Parks & Rec). Kind of funny that there were more Hutts, and they were just related to Jabba. I wonder if the Hutts are an incestuous race, or if it's just sort of a coincidence that there are more of his family in the planets surrounding Tattooine.

I'm loving this so far!

Episode 3

Danny Trejo, in Star Wars? Yes fucking please! I had this reveal spoiled earlier today, but it was still dope to see as a huge fan of the guy. Hoping there'll be more of him since it seems like he'll be sticking around to help Boba bond with his new rancor friend. Seeing Krrsantan in action was frightening, I can't think of another example of seeing Wookies truly fighting like the monstrous creatures they are. I'm honestly kind of shocked Boba's new biker gang was able to hold him off long enough, considering Krrsantan has a history of gladiator-y bouts. The chase through Mos Espa was a nice way to finish off the episode, although I find it hard to take Boba's new gang seriously with their Jazzy Scooter looking swoops.

Ep. 3:

Yeah, even seeing him at a distance my  brain was like "Holy shit is that Danny Trejo??" like a second before it went "Holy shit, that's a Rancor!" :rotfl: 

Since Robert Rodriguez has been the Director for this thus far, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it was still really cool.

The speeder gang is a little off note with the rest of the series so far it feels like. I like them, but man do they clash with the scenery. They're like Power Rangers. XD

2 hours ago, Mera'din said:

Ep. 3:

Hide contents

Yeah, even seeing him at a distance my  brain was like "Holy shit is that Danny Trejo??" like a second before it went "Holy shit, that's a Rancor!" :rotfl: 

Since Robert Rodriguez has been the Director for this thus far, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it was still really cool.

The speeder gang is a little off note with the rest of the series so far it feels like. I like them, but man do they clash with the scenery. They're like Power Rangers. XD

Yeah, I like them more than their fucking vespas, they are waaaay too shiny. I wonder if that's a subtle way of saying they aren't originally from Tatooine.

Spoiler

Yeah, the first thing that came to mind was Power Rangers for me too 😅

I really liked the storyline with Boba and the Tuskans. Sad that is over. Having a hard time getting into the crime lord story. Might help if we even knew why he wanted to do it. Should have just started with only the Tuscan storyline and had that lead into why he wanted to be the Daimyo and then started that.

Was not expecting this week's episode to go the way it did, but I was highly entertained throughout. Lots of callbacks to Phantom Menace. I don't remember if they ever mentioned the podrace from that movie took place near/in Beggar's Canyon, but it was really nice to see that area again. That, and the Naboo starfighter. I was totally expecting it to be some sort of reconfigured podracer, back before she took the canopy off, but it was a pleasant surprise. Seeing Mando get booted out just because he took his helmet off was not unexpected, but still a lame rule. I'm just glad he got to keep the Darksaber (which he's....not very good at using just yet).

Also, Halo is totally Star Wars canon now(not really, but what a crossover!).

Also really surprised we just got a whole Mando episode out of nowhere. :lol:

Really enjoying this show.  It's not perfect but it's just comfy Star Wars watching.  Seeing Mando wielding the Darksaber was fun and you get to see his next little quest (probs next season).

It's been cool to catch up with The Mandalorian, Grogu and Luke, but i'm kinda wishing they had saved that for Mandalorian season 3. Seeing Cad Bane was a nice surprise, and after seeing who directed the episode (Dave Filoni), I can see why he was included.

CAD BANE. :shiny:

As soon as the silhouette started getting close I was like "HOLY SHIT I KNOW WHO THAT IS!"

Both of these last two episodes were fantastic, but yeah it felt like they could have just put them in The Mandalorian honestly. Not going to complain though. It was a nice surprise. Also, holy hell they've already improved the CG face de-aging tech a shitload. Luke looked SO much better here than when they had him in The Mandalorian.

They hired the guy that "fixed" their last deep fake, which is probably why it looked a lot better.

Yeah, I remember that. It looks even better than his did too though. Guess with their powers combined they finally got that shit figured out. :rotfl: 

I just read about that too.  I'm honestly surprised they did that.  And it really did look shockingly good.  I've really enjoyed this shit.  I'm wondering if they put these episodes in to actually set up season 3 of Mando.  This show has kind of just turned into a general Star Wars show and I'm honestly into it.

Yeah I think it was a smart idea to include  Mando. Their Boba content hasn’t been great and It really freshened the show up.

The face still looks a little off but MUCH better. The voice is weird too, but I guess they’re using AI fuckery with that too. Half of me wants them to just recast and the other half hopes this is just an ugly period and the tech gets much better in the next few years.

Yeah, I don't know why they handled the voice the way they did. My understanding is they used Respeecher, which aside from the whole machine learning/AI generated voice thing, can legitimately be used to de-age a voice. Seems like it would have gone better to just have Hamill record the damn lines and use it for that then try to stitch it together from old performances.

Overall thoughts: I thought it was decent, nothing amazing. I was into it in the beginning, then after they started introducing Luke, Grogu and Din back into it I cared less. Not that I don't like those characters, I just wish there had been more of a focus on Fett thru the whole thing.

About this episode specifically, it was really fucking dumb how they kept firing at the shields, even though they knew nothing was going to get through. I know there's not much else they could've done besides just run, and that would've been boring, but instead of boring it was just stupid. It was cool to see a rancor move like that though, I don't think they even really moved that quickly in games that featured them as fightable enemies. Something about the way the episode ended was just kind of lame to me, and I don't really know why. I don't know what else I would've wanted, but a "hey, why does he get a melon?" sitcom style ending definitely wasn't it.

Also, this episode contains a mid-credits scene, but it's nothing super interesting, imo.

Kind of feel the opposite.  I was liking it with the beginning stuff (back story on Boba and seeing why he has changed was really rewarding imo) and then expanding it out to start wandering around the Star Wars universe was actually really awesome.  It might be they did not have THAT much for Boba to do but also consider a couple episodes in Mando dealt with him too so it's kind of a back and forth.  All in all, I was entertained.  I enjoyed it.  I liked the journey for Boba Fett coming back from being scumbag and I like that this last episode shows he's still got it.  Watching him fuck up Cad Bane was satisfying. :nod: 

I enjoyed it. I didn't mind it losing focus on Boba after they finished filling in the time gap for him, because he was honestly the least interesting part of the show imo. :rotfl: 

As for the shield thing, I would assume that they would eventually have to wear them down. The shield generator would have to give in eventually, if they could overpower it. Clearly more powerful than they were hoping though. :shrug:
The thing that bothered me is it was specifically said their kinetic weapons weren't working on it because the projectiles were moving too fast. So presumably they work like the Droideka shields and a slow moving object could get through, but when the wookie tried he had to struggle to push in even then he touched the shield slowly.

The stuff with the Rancor was fun. Ending was whatever. Not sure why they saved that little scene as a mid-credit thing though. It wasn't THAT big of a deal I thought. XD

Coming soon to season 3: The ManDeLorean

Pun courtesy of my bf