Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Shopping for new laptop

So I'm slowly saving up for it but with President's Day coming and the possibilities of good deals I've been slowly looking at a new PC laptop to replace the one I've had for 10 plus years and I'm not that tech literate to really know what's good out there for what I use the most out of. (Which doesn't feel like a lot from my POV but I could be wrong.)
I currently have this:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02634815

Only reason I'm looking into new is because some of the keys are no longer typing, the fan gets louder from time to time, it lags. And I'm probably long overdue for one. So anybody here that has any suggestions that's fairly decent price (I'm trying to save up at least 1k in cash). I pretty much do:
Photoshop for my art,
Internet
Streaming most things when I'm not streaming off my TV
iTunes for music
Zoom and Discord
Storing art/pics/music files (I do have an external hard drive)

Like I said I'm gonna ask around but any suggestions would be appreciated

Pretty much anything will work well for that light of a work load, especially if you are using onboard graphics now with photoshop. I got my wife a Dell XPS 13 a year ago or so and she does all of those things besides photoshop. It does light games like Gems of War. What size are you looking for?

Nothing bigger than what I have now, which is roughly a 14"-15" screen. Majority of Netflix and streaming is done on my TV with the exception of Gogoanime so I honestly don't need much bigger than that. I'm also not a huge gamer so I doubt I would be doing even light gaming on it. I've also been debating the kind that doubles as a drawing tablet but it's not a huge need. 

What's the budget?  Need a good range to work in.

My goto brands are Dell and ASUS.  Lenovo's business laptops are decent (T series) but I wouldn't really go straight for those.  Other than that, give us a range and start looking at reviews of things to make sure they don't fall apart lol.  HP is generally terrible quality (had more of those break while I was in IT than all the others combined) so avoid.  Also don't get the cheapie brands like Acer unless it has a particularly glowing review.

• Like 1

XPS laptops are super nice.  Probably the biggest competitor to a Macbook. :nod:

If you have the money I would go with the graphics card option. It will give you more options for photoshop and games. But if you are just web browsing 99% of the time it probably isn't worth the $360.

Yeah that graphics upgrade will allow you to take better advantage of hardware acceleration in Photoshop (and also stuff like Premiere).  Of course that is really going to depend on WHAT you are doing in Photoshop and if you actually NEED the hardware acceleration.  It's also nice if you decide to play some games though.  Even something simpler like Stardew Valley or what have you.

But ye, get us that budget so we have a better idea lol.

13 hours ago, webhead said:

HP is generally terrible quality (had more of those break while I was in IT than all the others combined) so avoid

.....my current one is an HP and it's what's lasted for the 10 plus years :riiight: But I know I like working with Dells (I think my laptop before this one was a HP too but I'd have to unbury it from the closet) and I've never really had any issues with Photoshop running on them. 

As for price range I've got a little saved up, I want to try and have at least 1k min saved between cash and my Best Buy cred card so I might be able to do 1,400 max. What with tax refund coming in too I might be able to swing it.

With Photoshop I would all the linework and coloring part of my artwork. (I would put the original drawing on a scanner, save file and go from there). Scanner is dead and gone which is one of the reasons I was thinking about getting a laptop with drawing tablet included into that but I technically have a off brand drawing pad I never got the chance to play with. So fifty fifty there on needs. I haven't done a lot of art recently for reasons but I am trying to push myself to cracking back at it.

I would recommend you see if you actually NEED hardware acceleration in Photoshop.  I'm thinking for what you are doing probably not.

If that's the case, the cheaper XPS should do it and I don't recall you ever really talking about games anyway.  I'll look at a few more options myself. :)

17 minutes ago, Tassifox said:

....my current one is an HP and it's what's lasted for the 10 plus years :riiight:

Yeah I saw that. :lol:

It's a game of hit or miss with them and their stats at least for me at work were horrendous (their desktops are fine but that's a lot harder to fuck up).  Personally I am not a fan of their stuff because it is poorly put together.  They cheap out on things that make their stuff just fall apart.  Maybe the higher end ones are okay but if you're getting a higher end one, you might as well get a good Dell (who has pulled their reputation out of the gutter). :)  We had lots of Dells at work and they're good laptops.  Dell and Lenovo business laptops are the kind of things that don't fall apart. :lol:  ASUS I've always generally liked as their stuff is all around pretty good.

Depending on what you're using photoshop for (are you doing drawing or are you using it for other stuff) you might even consider an ipad like I got for my art. Can get a keyboard accessory for typing and shit. I very nearly went with a Microsoft Surface though, I waffled a looooooooooot and in the end chose ipad and don't regret it but Surface gave me a hard run for my money choice wise. This is only if you want this to double as a screen drawing tablet, since I saw you mention it. I also use it to watch movies in bed because that screen is gorgeoussssssssssss Otherwise I think these lads have you on a good track! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anelle said:

Depending on what you're using photoshop for (are you doing drawing or are you using it for other stuff) you might even consider an ipad like I got for my art. Can get a keyboard accessory for typing and shit. I very nearly went with a Microsoft Surface though, I waffled a looooooooooot and in the end chose ipad and don't regret it but Surface gave me a hard run for my money choice wise. This is only if you want this to double as a screen drawing tablet, since I saw you mention it. I also use it to watch movies in bed because that screen is gorgeoussssssssssss Otherwise I think these lads have you on a good track! 

That's a good recommendation too!  iPad Pro and a bluetooth keyboard will definitely go the distance for you.  If you hate Apple/iOS stuff Surface can definitely work too (plus you get actual Windows and can run Windows stuff which means laptop REPLACEMENT might be easier).

• Like 1

The only thing that's been starting to fall apart is some of the keys on the keyboard have stopped typing. And considering how old my laptop is idk if the hardware is something that is a simple fix or going to be worth it when I can't really take it anywhere to modify atm. 

I know I def don't want Mac or Apple product. Just not my jam with them. I hated using them in collage and I hate using the Mac my parents have when I'm there. :sweat:

@Anelle as for what I use photoshop for. My old routine when I had a printer/scanner was draw with normal pencils and paper. Scan said drawing on scanner. And then do linework/color/effects in photoshop. Once the printer/scanner died I lost more motivation to drawing than I already. I know there are some laptops that can double as a tablet to draw on too so it is one of the things I considered. 

I'm taking a look at the tablets and it might honestly be a better option for me. Like Nelle said I can get a keyboard attachment, I could use the tablet for my art and other rando things and just use my old laptop for adulting/zoom/and anime streaming giving me more time to save up for a better actual laptop.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ipad-tablets-ereaders/tablets/pcmcat209000050008.c?id=pcmcat209000050008&qp=brand_facet%3DBrand~Microsoft^brand_facet%3DBrand~Samsung^currentprice_facet%3DPrice~400 to 1100^tabletscreensizerange_facet%3DScreen Size~11" - 11.9"^tabletscreensizerange_facet%3DScreen Size~12" or More

Well if you get a Surface, that is a Windows PC that is basically in tablet form.  If you do that, I think you have a tablet and PC all rolled into one.  In which case, you skip getting a laptop and just get a dock for the Surface or something.

This one seems like a great deal:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-pro-7-12-3-touch-screen-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-with-black-type-cover-latest-model-matte-black/6374993.p?skuId=6374993

Wish they had some with 16GB of RAM but this would probably suffice for most of your tasks.

Agreed, always wanting more RAM but 8G isn't bad.

And good to see that the only bad reviews I can find on it are either glitches and poor service from customer service calls. (Not that those are good either but compared to 500+ good ratings vs 9-13 bad reviews I could swing that)

I'd say go read some professional reviews online as well about the Surface Pro 7 in general.  One annoying thing about a tablet PC is that replacing pieces inside if they break is a pain in the ass or impossible as are upgrades and they tend to come with hardly any ports (SP7 only has 2 USB ports which are USB-C and USB A at least).

Something to consider as well.  Just to weigh the options here.  Not sure if you actually really plug anything into your laptop anyway.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/microsoft-surface-pro-7

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/surface-pro-7

My laptop use outside the house has been far and few in between, and even at home, I rarely had it off the charger unless I wanted to watch something with company in my room when past room mates were watching something in the living room or if I needed to occasionally read or watch something cooking or in my room. So yea. Ever since I moved to current place. Laptop has always been plugged in.

Other than the difference both reviews have about the battery life, it's sounding like Surface is the way to go these days. 

Yeah and if you do a lot of home use, you can also setup a dock to plugin to all your shit. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Pretty sure we have one of those from the last apt set we had because of our shitty internet then so indeed!