Old School Forum
Vic Boss

NJPW General

Damn, outright cancelled?  No postponement or anything?

The anniversary show is one thing, but having a year without the New Japan Cup just doesn't feel right.

Their building dates are already set.

Also because of the Olympics, the G1 was also pushed into the fall.

Oh acks it sounds like the first 8 NJPW Cup shows were cancelled, so they're probably gonna have to jam-pack the tournament into the remaining 5 shows.

I hope that's true.  I just saw the bracket after you mentioned that, too, and damn that looked stacked.  I'd be down for an old-school style tournament of a bunch of quick matches for the first 3/4 of balls to the wall action, then give us some epic semi's and final.

Okay, NOW they've cancelled the rest of the NJPW Cup tour

Not that it's a surprise, but Sakura Genesis (Mar 31) and Road to Dontaku (Apr 11) have been cancelled

New Japan put up what I think is their full Miami show on Youtube for free

• Like 1

I finally have my Good Brothers back ;_;

I listened to the new episodes of Talk'N'Shop and cried laughing because they found out Tiger King was buddies with a promoter they know, Gallows has been having an awesome time in the quarantine because he's rich now, and then they brought on Alex Koslov to talk about how his mom whipped him with a belt when he was a kid a few times.

• Like 1

:rotfl: 

5 match cards ain't bad :nod:

Sho had a really good backstage promo after the opening non-Cup show of the tour. He's been notoriously shy and nervous when speaking, but it looks like he spent the pandemic trying to get better at it.

Tana was fighting back tears because he missed the fans and it reminded him how valuable they are. God damn, this fucking babyface

Hiromu was of course screaming like a maniac and it was great

NJPW Cup Night 1

I worry about the New Japan dads coming off a multi-month layoff. Wrestlers in interviews say that the body callous wears off and the damage starts hurting like a mother fucker while they heal up, and then they come back in less ring shape and more prone to injuries.

I want Tsuji to graduate already, I think he's gonna be a solid heavyweight tag wrestler

Poor Jado looks like he shouldn't be wrestling. Yano matches are tough without a crowd

I think Uemura's put on some bulk, dude's fucking jacked

Zack you fucking prick

Taichi held Tana back and then Zack gave him a pair of Dragon Screws :mad:

The Broken Neck Bowl between Hiromu and Honma was better than I thought it would be. First time in a long time Honma's looked really good

God DAMMIT why is Honma taking Death Valley Drivers on the ring apron :sick:

Good to see Desperado back too, IIRC the reason Douki's part of Suzuki-gun was because Despy got hurt. I always look forward to his rare single matches because he delivers but they happen so infrequently that everyone forgets he's a good wrestler.

Think Ishii got hurt during the match, but Ishii so can't tell. He dropped Despy in an unsafe-looking way but Despy still landed flat, and it's only unsafe if Despy doesn't know it's coming. And then sometimes he sold it and then sometimes he completely ignored it.

Badass match either way though :shiny:

BTW if you like violence, Suzuki and Nagata beat the shit out of each other in their New Japan Cup match

The fucking ending of Yano vs Hiromu :rotfl:

Yano taped Hiromu and young-boy Tsuji's ankles together and cut Hiromu's hair with a pair of scissors (Tsuji covered his own head just in case). Hiromu took Yano down, taped around his eyes to blind him, stuffed him in the elevator and pressed a button for a lower flower, and then him with Tsuji still in tow hobbled into the ring for the countout win

@Vic Boss since Wrestle Kingdom, what singles matches has Naito competed in?

And uh, if you have any links that'd be appreciated. I wanna binge but I feel like there's been maybe 2? lol

Guys ;_;

GUYS ;_;

Everything is EVIL

I hate him. So much!!

Spent today catching up as best I could, a lot of the last few events have been taken offline already. 

I'm now supersad Hiromu v Naito hasn't happened :( and hyped to see [X] get their ass kicked tonight.

Is there much of a schedule going forward?

Atm it's New Japan Road on the 20th (I assume it Naito makes it out, this will be the Naito v Hiromu match), Sengoku Lord on the 25th, and then a late July/August tour where the G1 used to be because the Japanese Olympics were supposed to be going on then and major building dates and attention in major Japanese cities would've been hard to come by.

New Japan Cup results

People been assuming this was KENTA's or Jay White's win but because they aren't in the country and allowing foreigners/Americans especially might not happen for another year to 18 months, they had to do something to strengthen Bullet Club on the heavyweight side, because right now it's just Yujiro.

• Like 1

Did they ever confirm if Naito v Hiromu would be for anything? I know Hiromu wanted the G1 briefcase if he won.

It was just going to be the traditional "IWGP Heavy vs IWGP Jr Heavy" match at the Anniversary show

Mannnn

Spoiler for a Dominion undercard match/not one of the title matches

Yujiro with interference pinned Goto in a tag match. They're probably gonna have to turn another heavyweight at some point because while he does have some pop, Yujiro is not a strong #2 faction heavyweight at all and even with interference shouldn't be beating guys like Goto on the regular and you do kind of need someone like that to back up EVIL (who kind of already IS that guy but has enough upside that they can probably run with him as a top Heavy until Jay White can get back in the country)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

It was just going to be the traditional "IWGP Heavy vs IWGP Jr Heavy" match at the Anniversary show

Ye but the commentary were bigging up that there were now three titles and Hiromu gatecrashed that press conference so I thought maybe something could happen?

Rewatched the 15 minute hype interview. So hyped.

5 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

Mannnn

Spoiler for a Dominion undercard match/not one of the title matches

Reveal hidden contents

Yujiro with interference pinned Goto in a tag match. They're probably gonna have to turn another heavyweight at some point because while he does have some pop, Yujiro is not a strong #2 faction heavyweight at all and even with interference shouldn't be beating guys like Goto on the regular and you do kind of need someone like that to back up EVIL (who kind of already IS that guy but has enough upside that they can probably run with him as a top Heavy until Jay White can get back in the country)

Have I missed something? Wasn't Tama Tonga getting pushed during the whole "Bullet Club is fine" era?

It might derail tag aspirations but surely that's an option. Or.... is he also travel barred? I tried to catch up properly but a lot of shows have been taken offline already.

• Like 1

Covid shut down the borders. Any non-Japanese you see on the roster were in Japan when that happened and have been living there ever since. Jay White, KENTA, GoD, Fale and Phantasmo are all at home and won't be able to get into the country for probably awhile. The guys living in America in particular might not be let into the country for another year to 18 months, and that group includes both Jay White and KENTA. That left the BC consisting entirely of Gedo, Jado, Yujiro and Ishimori before the New Japan Cup started.

It's Naito's destino to suffer ;_;

• Sad 1

New Japan Road 20/7

I love how aggressive and utterly angry LiJ were, cheap shots, double and triple-teaming etc

Dick heelish tactics for the win

EVIL refusing to hit Everything Is Evil was such a cunt move

His music makes me so angry

Wasn't hitting back on EVIL early in the match, almost pretending like he wasn't there. Maybe trying too hard to keep his Tranquilo or knowing that half of EVIL's problem is that he's just doing shit for the clout and Naito won't give it to him even though he stole the title almost the same way Naito stole his first one

Ohoooo

Sengoku Lord

They announced a baseball stadium show later in the summer, so presumably that's when Naito wins back the double-titles, or one of them

I'm not a big fan of this Okada concept. I don't want multi-man matches and gimmick matches becoming the norm in New Japan, though I guess at least with this, it's contained to that one title

Summer Struggle Spoils

Don't look now but

Yoshi-Hashi, who debuted in 2008, is in line to win his first belt of any kind if him, Goto and Ishii can beat Okada, Yano and SHO in the Never Six-man Tournament Final tomorrow ;_;

God dammit, KENTA

In his New Japan Cup USA backstage promo, he keeps stopping himself from saying "EBIRU-niisan" and instead says "Evil" with an American accent, fucking prick :lol:

All four opening round KOPW Gimmick matches were on the Korakuen show earlier today. The winners go on to a fatal 4 way in a few days at Jingu Stadium and the winner of that becomes KOPW 2020 Champion

Okada vs Yujiro, Gedo and Jado in a Handicap Match (Yujiro will advance if the Biz Cliz wins)

Yano vs Bushi in a 2-count match (This one will probably be fun)

Kojima vs El Desperado in a No-Finishers match (Boooooo I love Koji's lariat)

Sanada vs SHO in a Submission Match (this one's been built really great)

@Garlic Junior This Sat, Naito challenges EVIL for the Double Titles

• Shiny 1

Summer Struggle in Jingu Stadium

Yano won the KOPW what the fuck :rotfl:

Oh, and baseball fan Tetsuya Naito won the Double Titles in a baseball stadium and fireworks went off after :')

Not NJPW, however @Vic Boss I am considering getting Stardom for a month to watch the roster vs Kagetsu.

Always wanted to get into the promotion. Do you know of any great wrestlers/matches to pay attention to at all?

I know next to nothing about Stardom besides that Mayu Iwatani was/is on the Kairi Sane/Io Shirai level of "among the best women's wrestlers in the world." And the whole Hana Kimura thing.

Ah I figured that might be the case. Well, I'll go in blind and report back anything worthwhile. It's pretty cheap for a month but it goes by the typical Japan format of 1st to 30/31st so I'll wait til next month to pay.

YOOOOOOO

The G1 blocks were announced today

King Switch, KENTA, Jeff Cobb, Juice and Ospreay are all back :jumboshiny:

• Like 1

I'm excited to learn there will be no undercard tag matches and the building has a time restriction.

This should be a lot more like the 2014 G1 

• Like 1

They've added a young boy singles match to every G1 show, so we have an abbreviated, unofficial Young Lions Cup going on with the G1(It's only Uemura, Tsuji and Gabriel Kidd wrestling each other) and six matches every show

• Shiny 2

This week's been rough for keeping up with the G1, shows every day :rip:

Apparently the BOSJ and World Tag League are going to be presented on the same tour this year too :nod:

If you're pressed for time, tonight's show, Night 13, headlined by Okada vs Shingo, is easily the best top-to-bottom show of the tournament so far

Bruh, Ibushi vs Taichi on the Block A Finals

90% of the match was Leg-Kicks, 9% of the match was kicks to other parts of the body and then the last 1% was that point when Taichi tried to DANGEROUS Ibushi but Ibushi flipped out of it and said "Quit being a pussy" and then they went back to leg kicks and also the finish.

I guess while we're on it, Ospreay turning heel and bringing in Bea and having Oka come back as EVIL 2.0, I dunno if I dig it