Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Galeigh

Vox Machina Animated

As long as Matt Mercer is doing a voice/voices in it too (only saw mention of the actual PCs from Critical Role in the article I looked up) then I'm game. I love that guy. XD

the entire cast will be doing voice acting in it. Including Matt, hell if they are being canon he will be every voice the cast isn't doing :rotfl:

• Like 1

Wow, I did not know about that. It’s really cool to see how much success this group has gotten while keeping their original show/stream humble and grounded. Glad I can check it out.

It would really suck if they might no. 9’d this.

I seriously doubt they'll MN9 this. everyone involved knows the industry inside and out.

And Inafune didn’t know the industry? Kickstarter stuff always worries me and they’re such nice people I’d hate to see a face plant.

• Like 1

Inafune knew ONE side of his industry. By all accounts the Critical Role crew can get shit done.

Show has aired up ep 3.

Holy shit it's funny AF

• Like 1

Watched the first episode. It's fantastic. It's also great watching the core people fanboy/girl over their own work so hard. Saw one of them talking about how most of them were rewatching all the episodes in the different languages available and were gushing about the Japanese VAs. XD

• Like 1

I have never been a Critter, but I have seen clips and what not that I am very happy for my friends who are fans that they're getting what they want and more. I've watched the first 3 and I am very much enjoying it. Gives me big Rat Queens vibes and I am here to see where it takes for the next 6 eps.

also big fucking points on their casting.

21 hours ago, Galeigh said:

Show has aired up ep 3.

From what I know they're treating it the same way as Netflix did with Arcane. 3 eps last week. 3 this week, and 3 last ones next week.

Hey, when your base crew has the work history these guys do then you can pretty much cherry pick your cast.

• Like 1

Enjoying it so far! I have some reservations but they're relatively minimal stuff so I'll pop em behind a spoiler tag and say that all in all I'm enjoying it. I missed Grog so much :crying2:

Mild Reservations:

Spoiler

- The tonal whiplash of "animated special" versus the really rude crude stuff, which is def part of the VM sense of humour but yeah, not handled the best

- Rushed beginning, partly because of cutting out YouKnowWho but also just like. It's changed the pacing, and Kima and Allura aren't friendly faces and that's sad :(

- The dragon in eps 1&2 was... SO 3D compared to the 2D of the rest that I felt like I was watching an early 2000s GONZO anime, lmao

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mera'din said:

I thought the season was supposed to be 12 episodes?

ooH! Even better~! When my friend said they were treating it like Arcane my brain was thinking it was gonna be the same total of eps as that. That's on me.

3 hours ago, Lucy said:

Enjoying it so far! I have some reservations but they're relatively minimal stuff so I'll pop em behind a spoiler tag and say that all in all I'm enjoying it. I missed Grog so much :crying2:

Mild Reservations:

Hide contents

- The tonal whiplash of "animated special" versus the really rude crude stuff, which is def part of the VM sense of humour but yeah, not handled the best

- Rushed beginning, partly because of cutting out YouKnowWho but also just like. It's changed the pacing, and Kima and Allura aren't friendly faces and that's sad :(

- The dragon in eps 1&2 was... SO 3D compared to the 2D of the rest that I felt like I was watching an early 2000s GONZO anime, lmao

Spoiler

On the note with the 3D, sure it could have been done better. But for the most part I was actually happy with how decent they did with it verses what we have seen in cruder style. It's certainly not as bad as when Beserk got revamped with their shitty 3D/2D. At least they are getting a decent budget for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucy said:

Mild Reservations:

Reveal hidden contents

Rude and crude is kinda the pace Vox Machina has, troll dick and all.

Yeah, by cutting out youknowwho they had to cut out a lot of the pre-stream stories and that meant the party hadn't yet become friends with a lot of characters we're used to them being friendly with. On the plus side we actually get to see that friendship grow for a change.

Yeah the 3D dragon really stuck out, and I hope that improves later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tassifox said:

ooH! Even better~! When my friend said they were treating it like Arcane my brain was thinking it was gonna be the same total of eps as that. That's on me.

I had to double check too because I know originally when the did the Kickstarter for it, it was just supposed to be a single animated special. It hit the target in less than an hour, and by the end of the first day had passed $4 million and unlocked all of their stretch goals so they expanded it to 4 episodes. Before the Kickstarter finished it had expanded from 4 episodes adapting pre-stream stuff to a full animated series that went from 8 episodes and ultimately settled at 10 and would cover pre-stream and then the first story arc from the stream. Once Amazon picked up the streaming rights for it, they announced that they had commissioned an additional 14 episodes (2 additional episodes for Season 1, and 12 more for a 2nd season) bringing it up to 12. 

The whole thing must have been a wild ride for everyone involved. XD

• ROFL 1

I've watched a clip too for Ep 4 so things are gonna get guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud

Basically they'll load them up early every Thurs at 4pm. I'm cool with this.

Fuck shit got dark FAST

Spoiler

The peasants that were hung as a warning
The fucking back door scene :rotfl:
Grog and Keyleth are becoming my top 2 faves. With Scanian a close 3rd place.
Fuck....just FUCK with the wraiths and the zombie direwolves and shit! FUCK!

I'm rewatching fro ep 1 since not much else on to watch

Spoiler

Totally missed the part of Kayleth vomitting in the beastmans mouth the first time 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Basically they'll load them up early every Thurs at 4pm. I'm cool with this.

Fuck shit got dark FAST

Hide contents

The peasants that were hung as a warning
The fucking back door scene :rotfl:
Grog and Keyleth are becoming my top 2 faves. With Scanian a close 3rd place.
Fuck....just FUCK with the wraiths and the zombie direwolves and shit! FUCK!

That door was the bane of their existence in the campaign, constant failed rolls to get through and around it. I am so glad they kept that in.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I got the full story and details from the friends I watch it with who are Critters and while it would have been great to see the same methods used, it was still a really fun scene to watch.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, Tassifox said:

Reveal hidden contents

On the note with the 3D, sure it could have been done better. But for the most part I was actually happy with how decent they did with it verses what we have seen in cruder style. It's certainly not as bad as when Beserk got revamped with their shitty 3D/2D. At least they are getting a decent budget for it.

(1-3 stuff)

Spoiler

For real, don't get me wrong, I liked the model itself a lot, especially the way the breath weapon for the dragon was handled :shiny: It was just such a juxtaposition against the flatness of the cel-shading for the 2D that it stuch out a bit much for me. 

(sorta rest of arc/further on spoilers?)

Spoiler

I don't think it'll stand out much for the rest of Briarwood/Whitestone because there's not many BIG creatures in that, but like. If they do animate Chroma Conclave then they may need to blend a little more :uhoh:

• Like 1

Double posting because I got the chance to simu watch 4-6 this morning!

(4-6)

Spoiler

Okay, NOW we're cooking with gas! These episodes were fantastic. :shiny: Loved the dark atmosphere, Delilah Briarwood's magic, the way they're showing Necrotic magic, the back and forth between Percy and Vex, Keyleth showing off her powers, NO MERCY PERCY..!

Eps are definitely hitting their stride after a slightly rocky start!

• Like 1

Duuuuuude

Spoiler

My friend totes thinks they did the Scanian breathing fire at the Duke on purpose since we know who his VA is 🤣, became more sud after his face scar from the cock lightning. :rotfl:

Omg the cock lightning.:rotfl::rotfl:

Omg everything Scanian in this ep. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Cassandra's gonna betray them all isn't she?:lurk:

I like the Briarwood's backstory, no surprise on the pattern there but still good. 

Next week is gonna be huge. :shiny:

Scanlan is the best.

Also, the 3d on the undead horde is MUUUUUCH better than the dragon.

Spoiler about your cass comment:

755123685_yesbutno.thumb.jpg.0435cab5ff2101c46b34f78b806d30ba.jpg

• Like 1

That's what my friend said too when I was asking him about it because since they're they Critters and I'm not he likes to do a whole "Q&A/Do you have any comments or feels i can clarify?" at the end of each session. :rotfl:

That said, the Dwarven friend of Percy Survived in the tabletop campaign so nothing is certain

• Shiny 1

10-12 is out btw

Honestly really good, dealing with Percy's demon and all. here's hoping the next season's cgi does better with the attacking dragons

So friends and i did a watch party from beginning to end through the whole thing. We even had a could friends who have never seen CR or the show yet so made it even better. 

Spoiler

Only big moment i missed was Kayleth saving Vex and almost dying. That's fine, i'll just rewatch it later. 

Loved how well they tied off everything with Percy's story. I had guessed the demon contract similar to Black Butler but i didn't realize it was an unintentional summoning/pact. Made it all the better when the dekon started going out of control.

Dammit Kiki just let the damn rogue love you!!! 

Considering they're already slotted for S2 i'm pretty sure Amazon will bump their budget for slightly better animation but honestly compared to others i don't think the 3D looked too bad. We have seen much worse. 

Finished it not long after the last eps aired but forgot to check in here! :sweat:

Spoiler

Overall enjoyed it a lot! They swapped a few things around/edited a couple of things out, but I loved the fight choreography and the Percy/Orthax stuff was really well done. Loved how they did manage to work in Scanlan throwing the gun in the acid and being right about it, lol.

And when the council gathered at the end I was WAITING for that cliffhanger and wasn't disappointed! Roll on season 2!

• Like 1