Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[10/24/19] Weekly What Have You Been Listening To?

Again not much of anything. Planning on catching up on a bit that I meant to listen to more (Gucci Mane's Woptober 2, Young M.A.'s Herstory in the Making, Dababy's Kirk, whatever that new NBA Young Boy is) but probably won't do it all. I guess Kanye's going to come out this week? I've only head like three of his songs and they say whatever this next thing is is supposed to be gospel because he's finally gone off the deep end.

Lots of NBA podcasts the last couple days, and a decent amount of vulfpeck mixed in

AMostly been on my Wu-Tang kick still.  I won't bother anyone with the 36 Chambers shit because anyone who cares has probably heard that album ad nauseum.  And while I don't think any group album since has surpassed it, I've been digging into some stuff that at least hits.  And The Saga Continues hits.  It's all produced by mathematics instead of RZA(the dude who created the W symbol), and there are some good jams on here.  Feels closer to a proper Wu album than anything after The W.  Was turned on to it after this track played in the credits of an episode of An American Saga:

Also spent my work day on Tuesday listening to Wu Tang Forever, which I think is a mostly good album.  I feel had they made it a single LP instead of the double album, they could have cut out a lot of the filler and had a tighter, more satisfying album.  Some tracks just don't really grab me, and the beats a lot of times feel meandering.  But the tracks that are great are excellent, and could easily stand up to the rest of the library.  One of my favorites just so happens to be the first single, including one of the best verses from Inspectah Deck:

Obviously, I've been jamming a lot of their solo albums(particularly Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...), but to break up the pattern a bit, I listened to some clipping.  Such a unique hip-hop act.  Different beats that the closest thing I can think to compare them to is Death Grips, and Daveed Diggs has a crazy flow.  For those that don't know, Diggs plays Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton.  Also, their video concepts are insane:

Tool concert was this week...so I've been listening to some Tool the past few days.  Lol.

They played this at the show. :heart: