Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

[10/17/19] Weekly What Have You Been Listening To?

2 or 3 songs or albums you've been heavy on in the last week.

I haven't really be music'ing all the last week or so :lurk:

Meant to post in the last one, but I had listened to something I had planned to mention, and couldn't remember what it was.

My Mastodon kick persisted longer.  Was listening to Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye.  I severely underrated those albums, particularly Crack the Skye.  Just a constantly evolving Mastodon getting musically better with each album.  That said, I think I still prefer Blood Mountain.  But who knows?  Maybe this means I can give The Hunter another run and actually come out liking it?

Probably my favorite track from the two albums:

Been jamming some El-P also.  I never ended up giving Cancer 4 Cure a proper listen because I'd always hear the first track and get a bit uninterested.  It was a fine song, just felt like too basic of a "techno" beat to make me feel the rest of the album would be the typical production genius we get from El-P.  I did really like "The Full Retard," though, and having now listened to the whole thing...hot damn, that's a really good album.  The couple features are handled really well, some thought-provoking lyrics as usual, and the beats are just so damn hot.  The song that's stuck with me the most is definitely Drones Over Bklyn:

Also listened to a specific track from an old British thrash band called Sabbat.  I'm not very big into their stuff as a whole, and I've only heard and owned one album.  But that one song is a perpetual classic for me.  I first heard it as a Cradle of Filth cover, and it was always one of the few CoF songs I actually liked.  It wasn't until I bought the album it was on that I realized it was a cover, and I had to seek the original out.  Nothing like some extreme metal talking about The Salem Witch Trials.  The hook is infectious, and I absolutely love the sample at the beginning:

I've also been going on a big Wu Tang kick since I've been watching An America Saga, but I could post so much from that, so I'll probably save some of the for next week.

As an addendum, I just finished another run of Crack the Skye, and I think I still have underrated it.  It's quickly growing on me.

I often just get an urge to listen to this song because it's fucking awesome.  Too bad most of his other stuff is forgettable. :-/

Feelsgoodman

I basically just listen to random shit especially if I hear it in the background during some TV show or movie or something and go "oh yeah I like that!" and add it to my playlist. :rotfl:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, webhead said:

I often just get an urge to listen to this song because it's fucking awesome.  Too bad most of his other stuff is forgettable. :-/

I relate to this so hard.  Did you first hear this from Luke Cage?

Yup.  Beginning of the episode and everyone was being gangster as fuck with this playing and I practically got chills. :rotfl:

Been listening to a lot of Jaco

New one from Theo Katzman and some of the vulfpeck dudes :shiny:

I'll have to give those A listen.  Only real reason I know of Jaco is because of Trio of Doom.  Dude definitely knows his way around a bass.  

Speaking of dudes who can really play bass, check out vulfpeck (or anything else where Joe Dart is the bassist). Eg:

Corridor