Old School Forum
MT

NXT/NXT UK General

How about that one match tonight?

Was pretty sure either Matt Riddle or Adam Cole (BAY BAY) was gonna win. It seems like Aleister and Ricochet are main roster bound sooner rather than later, didn't think they'd give Velveteen another title, and didn't think they'd put a title on Riddle that quickly. 

Loved that Aleister/Riddle double knock-out kick spot. So good.

• Like 1

Riddle aggravates me for some reason. I think it's just the persona that rubs me the wrong way. He's certainly a good worker. 

It's always funny hearing about the people who don't like Riddle.  And I don't mean you're it condescendingly, it's just odd for me.  I got into Riddle during the latter half of his career, and I thought it was just understood that his gimmick was great.  I like seeing the people that can't stand him, though, as typically I hate this kind of personality, too, and it's nice to see a differing opinions that can still respect how good he is in the ring.

5-way was insane.  In a way, it was kind of a highlight of NXT's current best, while also somewhat passing the torch to those sticking around post-Mania.

I think Cole finally gets his run at the top of NXT with Undisputed behind him, and the show is put on the shoulders of he, Riddle, and Dream until their inevitable call-ups.  On the male singles side anyway.

I will always be a sucker for that dX model of "Stable of top guys who have all the gold for a bit" so I'm here for the Undisputed Era. Now that they're all healthy and there are 4 of them, they can definitely for a short minute hoard all the NXT belts.

My man!

Fuck 'em. Go Johnny Wrestling.

Still not really liking how far Black/Ricochet went in the Dusty Classic. I feel like it's sort of a "farewell NXT" tour for the two of them, which is fine...but I think there was a better way to go about that. I love both those dudes, but them as a team just didn't do much for me.

They're growing on me as an "Opposites attract" sort of duo. 

God, there's no better day in wrestling than a Takeover ?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:28 AM, Blackjak said:

They're growing on me as an "Opposites attract" sort of duo. 

Which (almost) always turns into a ready-built singles feud in the future. I could stand a feud between these guys.

Pretty good Dream vs Buddy Murphy match on NXT this week

I had to fast-forward through that segment :sick:

Man is it good to see Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish teaming up again

Takeover 25

Good god, that fucking pop at the end of Cole/Gargano :rip:

• Like 1

Spoiler

Good God, Kyle O'Reilly's back after.

KORLadder.png

And he may have lost a tooth when he dropped on Fish/Ladder... had his mouth open and it looked like he was tonguing a gap. :rip: 

Gulak vs Kushida Submission Match was delicious ?

Eyyyy, Shane Strickland/Killshot from LUG was on this week's NXT

• Like 1

I enjoyed it quite a lot

Also enjoyed UK this week too. Even with the Download shows being house show-y, they've still done a lot. 

Well, NXT had a good run

The new two-hour NXT television show that will be announced tonight on Raw for the USA Network will have a September 18 debut date.

It was imperative on the WWE side to get a jump on AEW, which debuts with its October 2 show from the Capital One Arena in Washington, DC.

One would think with a date so close to happening, that the locations for the early shows would also be announced tonight.

NXT will be airing on 8-10 p.m. Eastern time on USA on Wednesdays, head-to-head with AEW on TNT.

Source

Eh, if they don't change the booking and general presentation formula, I'm fine with it.  My only concern would be whether the 2 hours oversaturates the product.  They have enough talent to fill it, but I think part of the charm of NXT is not knowing who will actually be there week to week.  It also allows for more time to build and hype.

As usual, I will be cautiously optimistic until given reason otherwise.

I think their week-to-week TV booking hasn't been great in a long time, but it's solid enough that it builds to great Takeovers. It's a missable TV show but must-watch PPVs. I kinda don't see that changing without adding something to the creative team (Ryan Ward plz)

They do need to bolster the roster somewhat too. Maybe the guys from the recent newcomers tournament will be enough, or adding in a few more main-roster guys for some star power. I don't think you can run a show that's partly filled with green developmental wrestlers and so-so TV booking if the plan is to go head-to-head with AEW.

One of the things that I think makes NXT special is how little input it seems Vince has. With it being on cable TV every week, he's most likely going to have much more, and that really concerns me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm hearing it'll still be at Full Sail for the time being, which is nice I suppose. 

• Like 2

NXT

- "If there was an NXT Mt Rushmore" I see what you did there, Adam Cole BAYBAY

- Eyyyy Shane Thorn and Bronson whatsisnamenow, The Mighty Still Don't Kneel

UK

- They should add a Japanese man to Imperium just to make sure you know they're playing off of the Axis of Evil/American stereotypes of Europeans

- Tag division might be my favourite part of UK. Mustache Mountain, Imperium, The Hunt, Grizzled Young Veterans

UK Takeover was pretty great... 

Spoiler

Dar and Travis Banks was alright, not much to be invested in. But not bad either.

Cesaro and Dragunov put on exactly the kind of match I'd hope for and it was great.

Holy FUCK that triple threat tag match. :rip:

Mastiff and Joe Coffey was a great hoss battle

Really didn't care for Storm/Ray... just was lacking I thought. And Kay Lee Ray does absolutely nothing for me, so that doesn't help... 

Jesus Christ that main event was spectacular. Watch it now. 

• Like 1

WALTER vs Bate went for it :nod:

Triple Threat tag was really good too.

With NXT coming to USA and becoming a 2 hour weekly show? Almost certainly. At least if you call Main Roster folk that don't have much to do "Old". And NXT and Main Roster folk have had a special match on all of the NXT UK Takover specials, I believe. Balor/Devlin was a banger, as well. 

It can't be a developmental territory anymore if it's going head to head with AEW to put them out of business. A lot more older stars definitely have to be on it.

• Like 1

I don't know if i'm just not in a wrestling mood today, but i've watched all but the main event from last night's NXT and I couldn't get into any of them.

Edit: Sasha/Io was great, though.

Edited by MT

Watch Dragunov/Walter. Holy shit.

Probably sucks for WWE since they were primarily using NXT to sabotage the competition, but it'll be better for the wrestling business on the whole that they're on separate days.

Though who knows, if the NHL contract comes up and NBC isn't interested any more they might just move it back in not too short of a time