Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus

HOW IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS AFTER IT CAME OUT!?

Now I need to rewatch the show

Time or sign up for Netflix for 1 month, binge this and then cancel again.

Binge? It's literally just a single, near-movie length episode. :P 

Was hilarious though. Glad they got Jhonen Vasquez to write it. Tied a lot more to the original series than I was expecting too and references stuff from it. Was expecting a random one-off thing that could be from any point during the original, but it continues off of it.

• Like 1

Dib: Even that taco place you love so much!

Zim: what? I think place is diiirty. Gir loves it.

GIR: YES I DOOO!

:hide:

• Like 1
  • ROFL 2

I was actually a bit unimpressed?  Which is a shame, because I had been waiting for this since it was announced.  

Spoiler

I loved the first half.  It felt like it had picked up right where it left off, and the evolution of Dib having grown obese and stuck to his chair while watching for Zim is so characteristic.  I was stoked that they kept all the same voice actors (or at least had identical replacements).  I loved the Clembrane character and the fact that Minimoose actually had an important use this whole time - whether retconned or not.  A lot of callbacks to Zim lore that was satisfying(like Tak's ship).  And the social commentary was still on point.

What I didn't like was a lot of the jokes felt hollow.  The humor felt more juvenile than before, and not in a, "oh, there's a poop joke" way, but more in that they felt lazy and less thought out.  Off the top of my head, the bit where Do was yelling at Zim from his house and Zim kept not hearing him both dragged too long and felt like an uninspired cash-in to a previous joke.  Gir felt a bit more forced, like a fan tried to write all of his parts, but I did still enjoy most of his stuff.

I think the biggest thing for me was Gaz.  She didn't really feel like Gaz at all.  It felt like early on she was a bit too amicable with Dib, and she felt a lot less dark and morbid than she did in the series.  And this was apparent within the first 5 minutes of the film, so that hurt.

Complaints aside, I did enjoy this, and the more I reflect on it, I think I was just caught off guard by the slight character changes and the uber crisp animation.  With another watch, I could see myself appreciating it, but I think the majority of my complaints just come down to Jhonen being a bit rusty and less familiar with his original character concepts.  If there's any sort of continuation, I'm still in.

Really, though, I'm hoping that the Squee! short film that he talked about however many years back comes to fruition.  I'd love to see what he could do when he doesn't have to cater to children.

• Like 1

Gaz DID seem a little off. Kind of wonder if there weren't some weird restrictions for what they could/couldn't do. With how differently they seem to approach most kids shows these days, it wouldn't surprise me. She definitely seemed toned down. The Tallest felt a little off too I think. They excelled with some characters though too. Dr. Membrane being a prime example. Was also a fan of Zim's computer. XD

Overall though I can forgive some of the short comings. There was enough good for it to excel past any awkwardness I noticed.

Also, one of my favorite scenes :rotfl: :

• Shiny 1
  • ROFL 2

It was the first thing I got to watch when I got home from Ren-faire and while I was gonna order out dinner because I was so tired, turned out roomie made tacos so it was perfect setting.

I enjoyed it. I agree some things felt a touch out, but with how long the show's been off air before and other things I was content with what we had. All the different animation styles with the Florpus was fun.

I legit need to get "Peace is Nice" for my ringtone now.

• Like 1

Dr. Membrane during dat final scene though, holy shit. 

• Like 1