Old School Forum
MT

Indie Wrestling General

On 9/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, MT said:

I just saw on Chris Bey's Twitter account (the guy that went up against Jungle Boy) and he said its been 5 years since he started going to wrestling school. If he's as good as he looked last night in 5 years time, the indie scene will be alright.

Was scrolling up to see your BOLA thoughts and bumped into this.

Chris Bey made his debut on Impact a month or so ago. He's mostly looked good but they tape a few months at once and he busted his lip in his first match so he's had a droopy thing going for him the entire time. They also paired him up with Johnny Swinger, my favourite gimmick at the moment

On 9/21/2019 at 1:26 AM, MT said:

I will definitely be on camera for this night. Sitting directly opposite of commentary.

Hide contents

Deppen really held his own better than I thought he would. Still not entirely sure what his gimmick is.

As far as I can tell, Tony Deppen's gimmick is that he's a cartoonishly angry Irish Ginger but without the Ginger and without the Irish

I'm pretty hype for Slammiversary, even if I assume I'm gonna be disappointed by the surprise entrant in the four-way match for the Title (I want EC3, I wanted Rusev but he popped for Covid, I assume Eric Young or James Storm or maybe someone else which isn't bad but isn't super-hype, but I also think Ace Austin is winning the match so it probably doesn't matter at the end of it).

Also I absolutely need Johnny Swinger, Chadd 2 Badd and Sex Ferguson together as a six-man tag team

Impact and Dynamite are the two wrestling shows I watch almost all of every single week :nod:

• ROFL 1

It did nothing for me. Opening tag and the women's match were pretty good. But nothing happened that gave me any interest in starting to watch again. :shrug:

TJP being a dumbass

And Tony Nese throwing shade :lol:

Isn't BAR Wrestling Joey Ryan's?

That's giving him youtube revenue when other indie wrestling networks don't want to work with him any more

I feel like they wouldn't have put it up if he'd be seeing any income from it, but what do I know.

I honestly can't remember. I know he was, I don't know if once all this shit went down he got ownership taken away. 

Finally got round to watching Mike Bailey v Bandido from WxW 16 Carat Gold

Match was... great. I feel like I've seen better but I was blessed to see Bailey in front of a crowd of like 20 before. But holy shit that crowd reaction afterwards was on a whole other level. Was nearly in tears throughout it and I didn't even think the match was THAT hype.

Just shows what a difference a red hot crowd makes to a match eh.

I can't say i've watched Ring of Honor with any regularity, but I may have to give it a shot, as I am now a fanhausen of this guy (18:13 if it doesn't go right there).

• ROFL 1

Danhausen's the one thing I don't want in Ring of Honor right now, kind of just flies way too much in the face of everything else they're doing right now with the Pure Title and having more of a UFC-style serious interview segment before every match. Like we'll have an interview segment where Shane Taylor's talking about his house getting shot up because his father challenged the drug dealers on the block and how he can't wear a ski mask like Brodie King and actually get away with it, and then suddenly here's somehow doing '80s Beetlejuice (complete with comedy transitions during his entrance)

And it's really weird that they even bothered, he'd fit more with Impact being anything goes or maybe AEW depending on if it's just ironic enough for Tony Khan

22 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

And it's really weird that they even bothered, he'd fit more with Impact being anything goes or maybe AEW depending on if it's just ironic enough for Tony Khan

Maybe he had some friends in high places? I dunno. I can see where you're coming from, and as someone who doesn't watch ROH, I had no idea what direction they were trying to go in. I kind of put Danhausen in a similar spot as Warhorse, although i'm not really getting the Warhorse gimmick all that much.

I kind of just assume they want a meme wrestler on hand in case Orange Cassidy is where things are going (though they adjusted him to be more like Yano where he makes a joke out of his opponents rather than he is the joke, but I dunno how much the business recognizes that), and he was already working their house shows before the lockdowns, or at least there is Ring of Honor footage of him in front of crowds, I don't know if it was more than one show

Danhausen saying "very evil" is literally the most interested in ROH I've been in years :lol: but if you're saying the rest of the show is srs bsns it's probably as far as my interest will go for another 7 years.

Love that Danhausen

I bet the coward Dave Honor won't do it.

One thing I will say about Danhausen in RoH: They paired him up with the exact right guy to feud with to get over his character. I watched last week's RoH (we get it on Sundays here and I DVR it) Brian Johnstone freaking out about him was awesome and now I am going out of my way to watch their youtube match :lol:

• Like 1

Been catching up on Pro Wrestling NOAH since the "reboot" (actually just a return to form after they were bought by the company that also owns DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro, the only thing that really changed was the ring is no longer green). Only been watching Heavyweight Titles and tournament matches. Think this one's being slept on, it's stiff as fuck (like the crowd breaking the "Scream Inside Your Heart" rule because god-damn some of those shots connect), pretty high quality heavyweight division (I skip Juniors, already watch too many promotions as it is), had one of the weirdest wrestling matches I've ever seen in my life (GHC Heavyweight Champion Go Shiozaki vs former IWGP Heavyweight Champion and MMA Fighter Kazuyuki Fujita) and I'm just about to hit the Dave-rated 5-star match from December. Modern favourite is Kenoh ("Fist King", he's foul-mouthed, kicks a lot, thinks everything is a conspiracy theory against him, and has proclaimed that he's going to kill his next opponent in 3 seconds, which his next opponent is the guy who formed Pancrase with Minoru Suzuki so my body's ready), absolute fave is and always will be Naomichi Marufuji, inventor of probably every spot you love in modern wrestling with KENTA

• Like 1

Just finished the 5-star match, Go Shiozaki vs Takashi Sugiura from the 11.22.20 NOAH The Chronicle 20th Anniversary Show

Perfect representation of what NOAH's all about. Also feel like I'm watching Shiozaki's body fall apart during his heavy-duty title reign (which weirdly mirrors Kobashi's body falling apart during his pre-Okada GOAT title reign)

Shiozaki/Mutoh had at least two "OH SHIT" moments and then quite the ending :nod:

Man, that Nick Gage episode of Dark Side of the Ring

Wonder if my ticket to the cancelled show back in March of last year I was going to will be valid for this, because I am so there.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 9:24 PM, Vic Boss said:

Man, that Nick Gage episode of Dark Side of the Ring

I didn't even realise Season 3 had already started. I feel like there has been no hype to this one at all.

Guess I know what I'll be binging now.

• Like 1

I'm only interested in a few episodes here and there. So far I've watched Nick Gage (really good) and Collision in Korea (not really that good, got some basic facts wrong), I'm really interested in the FMW episode, and somewhat interested in The Steroid Trial, Bruiser Bedlam and Luna Vachon.

It was super weird because they have access to all these wrestling historians but instead take the word of a North Korea expert who told the North Korean byline of the Rikidozan story.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Vic Boss said:

Ayyyyyy PWG's back

I love that their first show back is a Mystery Vortex

The tickets for the PWG show I bought before the pandemic are good for this one. I'm looking forward to it!

• Shiny 1

Currently waiting outside the venue for the PWG show, hearing rumors some AEW talent could show up, outside of the PWG regulars like the Bucks. Looking forward seeing who all is here. I'll try and write down my notes, too.

• Like 1

Spoiler results plz, I'll try to watch that one eventually

Will do

• Like 1

Might want to avoid my Facebook too, will probably be posting pics. 

PWG Mystery Vortex 7

Match 1 - Tony Deppen vs Jack Cartwheel

Never heard of Jack before, typical white meat babyface doing flippy shit (in a good way). Some botched spots (one right away) and a brutal ending. Good match.

Match 2 - JD Drake/Brody King

Hell of a hoss fight. Not much to really say other than I enjoyed it.

Match 3 - Arez/Demonic Flamita

I'll be honest, I didn't understand wtf was going on for the first 5 minutes or so. Great Lucha match, I missed two spots to the outside because I was too busy trying to get my damn folding chair to fold so I could move it out of the way.

Match 4 - Lee Moriarty/Jonathan Gresham

If Gresham and Zack Sabre Jr haven't had a match against each other by now, someone fucked up. I honestly wasn't super into this in the beginning, but by the end I was totally enthralled. Best match of the first half, no question. Also, Gresham is much shorter than I thought. He was out during intermission (right after his match) selling merch, and he's probably like 5'4.

Match 5 - Rey Horus and Aramis/Trey Miguel and Myron Reed (The Little Rascals)

I heard Myron calling himself Baby Ricochet to one of the people near me.Quick, fantastic Lucha style match, some real good outside of the ring stuff, including something I'd never seen before. It happened mostly out of my view, I heard someone say it was a Canadian Destroyer, where the guy slid on his knees towards the rope before doing the move to the outside. Great way to kick things off after intermission.

Match 6 - Evil Uno/Orange Cassidy

Another really fun match, as you'd expect. Uno plays the heel really well against Orange, not letting him get any of his stuff in at first. Rock Knox put on the glasses and did the lazy pose after the match for a huge pop.

Match 7 - Black Taurus/Bandido

Best match of the night, no question. Bandido landed hard at one point not too far from me, and made an awful sound, but luckily he was able to keep going. Brutal Lucha match, and a surprise at the end I will not spoil. I don't know if it'll be on the recorded version, if not I'll mention what it was. All I'll say is they 100% sold me on the next show.
  • Like 1
  • Shiny 1

I figured as much, it was pretty fucking epic

MA, DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK, I MEAN ITMystery Vortex 7 spoilers are inside!

I absolutely need that third picture as a Windows background.

Just got a ticket for Threemendous by PWG. It's gonna be one hell of a show.

Three-Way Match
Tony Deppen vs. Evil Uno

Tag Team Match
Aramis & Rey Horus vs. Dragon Lee & Laredo Kid

Three-Way Match
JD Drake vs. AJ Gray vs. Lee Moriarty

Six-Person Tag Team Match
Jack Cartwheel, Dante Martin, & Alex Zayne vs. Jake Atlas, Trey Miguel, & Myron Reed

Singles Match
Jonathan Gresham vs. Alex Shelley

Tag Team Match
Black Taurus & Demonic Flamita vs. Malakai Black & Brody King

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title
Bandido (Champion)) vs. Davey Richards (Challenger)

PWG Mystery Vortex 7 preview trailer in the spoiler 

PWG Threemendous thoughts, no spoilers for who wins.

Chuckie T joined Excalibur for commentary, so you know that's gonna be gold.

Tony Deppen/Evil Uno
Started off as somewhat of a comedy match, but ended up being a banger. You can probably see me flipping Tony Deppen off in the beginning.

Aramis/Dragon Lee
Great fucking match. High flying and hard hitting. I think Aramis landed on Dragon Lee's head after a 650 splash, and then dropped him on his neck on the next move. This was supposed to be a tag match according to the website, but I heard people around me saying one of the competitors couldn't make it, so I guess this was a last minute change.

Alex Shelley/Jonathan Gresham
Way more technical than I was expecting from Alex Shelley, but a solid match for sure.

Dante Martin, Alex Zayne, Jack Cartwheel/Lee Moriarty, Tre Miguel, Myron Reed
The most insane match I've ever seen live, holy shit. So many crazy spots it's hard to remember them all. At one point, I fell over my own chair getting out of the way of all the high spots to the outside in my area.

AJ Lee/JD Drake
One hell of a big guy match, with a little flippy shit thrown in. JD chopped AJ so hard, it made the loudest crack ice ever heard. At one point, near me, some guy rooting for AJ told JD not to hurt his guy and JD just looked at him and said "this isn't your fault", lol. AJ got his revenge later, though. 

Demonic Flamita, Black Taurus/Malakai Black, Brody King
They announced this would be for the PWG tag titles, I guess the last champs had to abdicate. Really enjoyable, although the ending seemed a bit abrupt. That may be due to the fact we were still trying to put our chairs back and I missed what happened, though. Their timing on a few spots seemed off, too.

Ending spoiler-ish

I'm thinking they may have called an audible, I remember seeing blood coming from Flamita's mask.

Davey Richards/Bandido
I'd only heard of Richards, never seen him wrestle before, pretty solid match, Davey did a good job of keeping Bandido grounded.

If you like any of the guys in the 6 man tag, even just a little, do whatever you can to see that match. It was awesome.

I didn't hear anything about that, definitely didn't hear anything where I was sitting.

I did however just hear some drunk chick had to be thrown out for sexual harassment. I saw this one girl try and twerk on Dragon Lee when he came out, I guess she grabbed another wrestler's ass at some point too.

Edit: Now I'm hearing a trans woman got hit in the back of the head on her way to the bathroom and got a concussion. Here's a Twitter post about it

Gonna see Minoru Suzuki take on Nick Gage tonight, so excited

xTxejm5.jpg

The show is GCW War Ready if anyone feels like checking it out on Fite.tv

• Like 1