Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

The upcoming Star Wars game from Respawn, the Titanfall people 

I am cautiously optimistic. Respawn is basically EAs golden child right now, and they know how do a good story, so I have more hope for this than I probably should. XD

The story elements of this are looking very promising.  I have really been missing that Jedi stuff since the last Jedi Knight games were on like...fucking XBOX.  Force Unleashed games were okay but just not the same.  I hope this is more like the Jedi Knight games (Jedi Outcast was my favorite).

30 minutes ago, Downshift said:

>EA

NOPE

EA is permanently on the no preorder list.  Actually, now that I don't have that Best Buy discount I don't really see myself preordering anything but definitely definitely not EA games. :lol:

Still definitely have my eye on it.  Also you know, if you want to play a Star wars game you literally have no other choice but EA so let's hope it's good (or that Disney finally pulls the fucking license).

7 hours ago, Downshift said:

>EA

NOPE

• Like 1

Gonna have to watch it again when I get home, but it looks good. I'm hopeful.

Cautiously optimistic.  That looks pretty fun.  I like that there are skill points and stuff. :nod:

So it's pre-Rogue One, I wonder if one of those droids that attacks the character at the end will turn out to be the one in that movie.

I really wish they'd stop trying to squeeze everything into the same fucking time slots forever.  Go earlier, go later, do anything except squeeze these stories into that few decade space, man.  Come on. :|

If they insist on going that route, at least do more stuff between 6 and 7. They've shoved a plethora of things between 3 and 4 now but we've had minimal stuff showing the other and one of those was Battlefront 2 which was kind of meh ultimately in terms of story.

• Like 1

Being a huge fan of pre-disney star wars i have an issue but i am able to put that aside for what looks like it could be a fun game.  I feel like this mission is called "Everything is bigger on Kashyyk"

I like how they took hardcore parkour and said "what if you could add the force to it?"  The combat looks solid and fun.  My only issue with the combat is if he's swinging his lightsaber around like that there'd be limbs flying.  Otherwise combat looks fun.

My issue... he is exhibiting an ability to control the force to an EXTREME degree.  Stopping that rotating thing near the end to walk across probably should not have been that easy... being said with how much control of the force he is showing he should have been able to jump that gap.  Also throwing a lightsaber is not an easy thing.  Most lightsabers were built with a safety feature that the activation is not a simple on/off you have to keep pressure on the button therwise it shuts off. So throwing it you have to use the force to keep the button depressed during the throw.

Like i said though, i'm a pre-disney fan so... fuck disney ruining SW (yes i'm salty) Good on this studio for presenting something that looks pretty solid.  I am cautiously optimisti:hide:

• Like 2

Pre-Disney Star Wars games let you do shit like that too. Force Unleashed had some pretty insane shit too including pretty much everything seen in this with the exception of pulling the "stop blaster bolts in midair" thing I think. When it comes down to it, it's a game, and they're going to put anything cool seen in the movies into it whether it makes sense for this kid to be able to do them or not. Though likely it's not something you'll be able to do right away anyway and will have to level up and acquire the skill at some point to do a lot of that.

• Like 1

But in force unleashed it was built into the lore.  I am just pointing it out because we don't really know anything about the character yet.  :hide:

We know he gets skill points so I'm guessing you build this stuff over time which would at least make sense.

They've responded to the ho hum response to the demo by releasing a lot more footage and talking about the elements of the game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-25-respawn-addresses-its-underwhelming-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-gameplay-demo-releases-extended-version

Haven't watched the footage yet but I like what I'm reading. :nod:

Wait for the EA to show through. Then we will know if it's worth it. 

• Like 1

Got a good deal on the game on Amazon so I picked it up. So far I'm really enjoying it though I'm not very far in. Exploration has been solid, light saber customization is interesting, and there are a bunch of cosmetic things that are all earned through gameplay. Not a microtransaction or looming DLC in sight. 

Gameplay is pretty is pretty heavily focused on blocking, parrying and dodging attacks and you can get wrecked pretty fast if you don't know what you're doing.

Skill points earned from leveling can be put into  a skill tree with 3 categories: force powers, light saber, and survivability. Can't see how interesting those get yet though as you can only see the most immediate skills available.

• Like 1

Waiting for a good sale on this probably next year.  I'm very interested. :nod:

Just got the double bladed lightsaber by adding Cordova's hilt to my own. Found it after returning to the first planet after grabbing Force Push. I believe you can find a similar thing on Dathomir, but I haven't seen it myself just yet.

Yep.

I went to Dathomir first when you're given an option and you find a table where he repairs his lightsaber and you get it that way. I then promptly left Dathomir because it was when I hit a story part is was labeled as a later chapter in the databank so I figured I wasn't supposed to be there first. Enemies were a pain in the ass too so I left shortly after that. 

Getting real tired of being shot by Stormtroopers while i'm fighting other non-shooting enemies. 

Yeah, that can be annoying. I've been going for any blaster users first. Can usually take them out pretty fast. It's the guys with the rocket launcher that piss me off. The force push ability is a bit awkward for redirecting objects in the middle of a fight.

Having Force Push back is making a difference, and it's nice to be able to push some of the more difficult enemies off of ledges.

I really hate the need to call every ability "Force" whatever. I just got a double jump, but it's the "Force Flip". :nono: 

Could have at least called it Force Jump. :rotfl:

Force Jump is a completely different thing from Force Flip. Force Jump is using the Force to jump higher, not to jump again. Thank you.

YRfVfn7.png

• Like 2

That's something I didn't pick up on until after I beat the game and I started going back to fill out the map. It's got that trench looking section in the middle, so it seems very likely.

This Polygon article seems to think so, too.

Yeah, I didn't think anything of the imperial instillation when you're on the planet, but when I flew back to it I was like "...wait a minute." And it looks like it and Starkiller Base are the exact same diameter among other similarities. Seems a bit much for a coincidence at that point.

:O