Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker

The original trilogy was actually...original.  That's what made it special.  This new one is derivative, adds almost nothing to the mythos, and the quality has been extremely uneven.  Even as someone that is less critical of movies in general, I can see this trilogy as the boring uninspired (and clearly unplanned) mess that it is.  There are some fun parts.  I especially liked the fact that this movie they went to a Sith planet Exogol (though I am once again confused by why they needed to invent a new one instead of reaching into the EU).  That was cool.  It was something actually new.  Overall though...just kinda meh.  As I said before, they've pretty much ruined this time period now with boringness and they should just abandon it going forward for more interesting things.  They could have done a lot of interesting stuff with Luke starting up the Jedi academy and that's pretty much all burned to the ground now and to be frank, I really don't give that much of a shit about the new characters. :shrug:

The whole resistance, one Jedi (maybe 2), and all that shit is tired.  If there's one thing the prequels got right, it was that huge interesting world.  The writing was god awful but the world building was awesome.  I wish we could have both these things together in a Star Wars movie.  I don't know why good world building AND good writing seem mutually exclusive (or in the case of this trilogy, neither good writing or world building exist :rotfl:).

I think this movie was decent.  I actually want to watch it again...but there are serious issues all over the place and the biggest was the lazy uninspired use of Emperor Palpatine.  To get more specific though I'd have to watch it again because I've forgotten a lot of the plot details now. :rotfl:

It didn't help that Rian Johnson completely derailed a lot of JJ's plans with his edgy gotcha 2 hour car chase movie.  If Abrams had been able to make the 2nd movie, I think the trilogy would probably have been better overall (though quite frankly, I think it would have still been boring) and I think the 3rd movie would not have been so overstuffed (and would have maybe had a little better writing tbh).  The massive whiplash moving back and forth from the first second and third movies didn't do anyone any favors.

The OG trilogy wasn't planned out either, and it's finale received just as much hate as this one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Galeigh said:

The OG trilogy wasn't planned out either, and it's finale received just as much hate as this one. 

Different situation completely.  The time and resources they have available right now and a well established canon to pick from there are no excuses for a trilogy this boring.  They had great directors and anything and pretty well squandered all that potential.

I don't think the movie was bad so much as I look back at everything together now and just kind of shrug.  This is what they chose to do after all that time and money? It's so underwhelming and we could have gotten better.  Also Abrams is my last pick as a director to FINISH something long running.  Not his forte.  Maybe they should have swapped him and Rian Johnson. :rotfl:

The original trilogy was a lot more planned out. There were definitely changes that were made along the way but Lucas’ original script was huge and he took the first 1/3 of it and that became A New Hope.

There is really no reason Disney had for not envisioning an entire trilogy to begin. Even worse they picked three different directors and had them all write independently.

Yeah there's a reason these movies were a fucking mess.  Who plans an actual trilogy of movies (they actually planned making a fucking trilogy) but has no plan in place.  Then they hire some guy in the middle that completely takes a left turn on the whole thing just for lulz and to be edgy or something then the original guy has to come change it back??? 

It's just inexcusable that Disney couldn't have planned this better.  I'm not sure who is ultimately responsible (Kennedy I'd assume), but whoever let this happen is simply incompetent.  Plain and simple.  Movies each have their own charms but the whole thing completely fails fucking hard as a trilogy.