Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Psycho666Soldier

[Manga Chat]

I haven't checked out that new one yet, @Psycho666Soldier , but it's on my radar. Might give it a few weeks before I dig in.

Thoughts so far on JJBA + the new stuff from today:

JJBA (Finished Phantom Blood yesterday and about 12 chapters into Battle Tendency)

It certainly lives up to the title of bizarre! :rotfl: I've seen a lot of JoJo hype online over the years but never really took the time to learn anything about it, so I went in blind. I didn't expect it to be this wacky, but I am not complaining. Art is great, some of the poses are nuts, and I am amused by the character names. (Speedwagon! :rotfl:) Interesting that JoJo and Bastard!! started around the same time. I guess everybody was out of their heads in the late '80s :fup: I'm only a bit into Battle Tendency now but I think I like Joseph better than Jonathon Joestar.

HxH #394

Togashi can really cram a lot of words into one chapter! Please stop introducing more characters. I just re-read this arc a couple weeks ago and I think I'm starting to get lost again :lol: 

The Elusive Samurai #86

Tokiyuki's the best. If I was on his squad, I'd run through a wall for that guy. Curious to see the strategy that Fubuki comes up with next chapter!

PPPPPP #57

I continue to be dazzled by this every week, even if I struggle at times to know what the heck is going on at times. Seems like Fanta just kicked it up a notch with his performance...

Anybody else current on Choujin X? Last couple chapters have had some solid action. This is another one I get a bit lost in though. Releases seem kind of random.

Also, don't think I mentioned last week: The latest Show-ha Shoten was really good IMHO. Getting more of a glimpse into Taiyo's story.

11 hours ago, dr. b said:

I haven't checked out that new one yet, @Psycho666Soldier , but it's on my radar. Might give it a few weeks before I dig in.

Thoughts so far on JJBA + the new stuff from today:

JJBA (Finished Phantom Blood yesterday and about 12 chapters into Battle Tendency)

Hide contents

It certainly lives up to the title of bizarre! :rotfl: I've seen a lot of JoJo hype online over the years but never really took the time to learn anything about it, so I went in blind. I didn't expect it to be this wacky, but I am not complaining. Art is great, some of the poses are nuts, and I am amused by the character names. (Speedwagon! :rotfl:) Interesting that JoJo and Bastard!! started around the same time. I guess everybody was out of their heads in the late '80s :fup: I'm only a bit into Battle Tendency now but I think I like Joseph better than Jonathon Joestar.

HxH #394

Reveal hidden contents

Togashi can really cram a lot of words into one chapter! Please stop introducing more characters. I just re-read this arc a couple weeks ago and I think I'm starting to get lost again :lol: 

The Elusive Samurai #86

Reveal hidden contents

Tokiyuki's the best. If I was on his squad, I'd run through a wall for that guy. Curious to see the strategy that Fubuki comes up with next chapter!

PPPPPP #57

Reveal hidden contents

I continue to be dazzled by this every week, even if I struggle at times to know what the heck is going on at times. Seems like Fanta just kicked it up a notch with his performance...

Anybody else current on Choujin X? Last couple chapters have had some solid action. This is another one I get a bit lost in though. Releases seem kind of random.

Also, don't think I mentioned last week: The latest Show-ha Shoten was really good IMHO. Getting more of a glimpse into Taiyo's story.

JJBA

Spoiler

Joseph and Battle Tendency are miles better than Phantom Blood.  Jonathan is your typical masculine protagonist who's all gentlemanly and white bread.  Joseph is a much more interesting character, and I think has better fights/battle intellect.  Some have recommend starting right with Part 2, but I still think Part 1 is a good read, and worth getting the backstory to add gravity to everything else.

Honestly, I think I like Battle Tendency more than Stardust Crusaders, too, but Stardust Crusaders has some insane moments.

Also, I read the first half of Takopi's Original Sin and it's properly fucked.  So I'm extra curious to see where this new series goes.

I finished Takopi's Original Sin.  Only 16 chapters long.  God, it's rough.  The final chapter damn near made me cry.  Really good stuff.  I recommend, though I caution that it is NOT for the feint of heart when it comes to realistic and gritty depictions of a shitty childhood.

EDIT: I also caught up on Akane-banashi.  It's been awesome as usual.

Spoiler

I loved the beginning of the Zenza training arc.  The run-in with Rien and the clapback, and then the Dragon Quest/RPG explanation for the Rakugo system.  Feels like a perfect pace to kind of drip-feed some of this info to us, and even though not all of it sticks with me, it's easy to understand and just helps expand the scope of how far Akane still has to go.  I also just generally enjoy the rotating cast of characters in the manga so far.

Caught up on PPPPPP

Spoiler

Like you, bomb, I sometimes don't fully get the subtext that's being told as far as what each character's motivations and stuff are.  But I think the art is fantastic, and reading it on a binge helps make a little more sense of what they're saying, because the actual meaning is usually stretched over a couple chapters.

I'm curious if that performance made Fanta win, or if by sending everyone home, he effectively rendered the competition as a draw?  Definitely feels like there's some deep personal stuff for Fanta that's coming out now and I'm curious how the fallout of this performance goes.

2 hours ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

Caught up on PPPPPP

Reveal hidden contents

Like you, bomb, I sometimes don't fully get the subtext that's being told as far as what each character's motivations and stuff are.  But I think the art is fantastic, and reading it on a binge helps make a little more sense of what they're saying, because the actual meaning is usually stretched over a couple chapters.

I'm curious if that performance made Fanta win, or if by sending everyone home, he effectively rendered the competition as a draw?  Definitely feels like there's some deep personal stuff for Fanta that's coming out now and I'm curious how the fallout of this performance goes.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna guess about how Fanta's performance will impact the outcome of the competition. I could see it going either way. Maybe there will be a twist of some kind. I sort of expect Lucky's team to win because he's kind of got that main character plot armor, and the pattern seems to be him winning over his siblings one by one... but you never know.

I caught up Show-ha Shoten and Chainsaw Man, and I'm too lazy really type up any detailed thoughts right now, but both are really great.

I tried out Cipher Academy.  The art is really good and I like some of the character design, but I don't think it's for me.  The cipher solving just kind of glazed over my brain.

Ichinose Family has me, though

JJBA update: I finished Battle Tendency. In the end I found it dragged a bit. Overall, I might have actually liked Phantom Blood a bit more. I'm a few chapters into Stardust Crusaders and it seems like it's going to be good. Stands are an interesting new thing. 

PPPPPP #59 :sad: 

The fight currently going on in Sakamoto Days is really good stuff.

All the other stuff I'm following weekly was good but I guess there was nothing really worth remarking on, except that I was disappointed to only get a special illustration from Spy x Family this week :| Two more weeks until a new chapter.

That's interesting because I was fully bought in to Battle Tendency.  I binged through it hard and didn't feel the drag.  Odds are you'll probably like Stardust Crusaders more in that sense.  It arguably drags toward the middle as far as how long it goes, but the action that happens is probably more engaging.

PPPPPP #59 was a heartbreaker

Spoiler

I originally didn't think Lucky's mom would pass until closer to the end.  The competition was good, though, and I like how they've been characterizing Fanta.

I also caught up through Chapter 83 of Elusive Samurai

Spoiler

I initially thought the Hisashiban introduction was kinda meh. Just like, "Oh, look at all these eccentric and crazy killers!" But the actual battle with them was so damn well done.  The art, the battle choreography, and the characterization as they fought.  Action-wise, this was probably the best arc so far.  Some of those panels were stunning.

I checked out that Ichigoki's In Control debut, and I think it's the sort of quirky concept that's destined for cancellation.  But it was interesting enough that I'll give it a couple chapters before I make a full judgment.

Ichinose Family still got me hooked.  It's a really engaging twist on the amnesiac protagonist.  So far we're just getting glimpses into his past life, but I'm really curious what happens when they start bringing the rest of the family back into it.

Yeah I'm still loving The Elusive Samurai :thumbs: :highfive: 

Haven't got around to reading Ichinose Family yet, but maybe this week..!

I'd say if you're gonna pick up any of the new series so far, Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins is the one.  A lot of built up intrigue with enough interesting things happening in the meantime so it doesn't feel like it drags so far.  And having read the mangaka's last series, which I thought was excellent, I have high hopes.

I have yet to check out Ginka and Gluna and Tokyo Demon Bride Story and I don't really expect either to wow me, but I'll give them a shot at some point.  I was super curious about Aliens Area, but it seems it was cancelled already, so I'll probably just let that one slip to the wayside.

Yeah, for a while there I was trying out every new series, but it's disappointing when something you start to like gets cancelled. Now I'm just going to wait and see what actually sticks around, see if there is some hype or if other folks recommend it to me, and then maybe pick it up. 

Fabricant 100 seems cool.  We'll see if they can keep up an interesting plot, but it was a pretty great first chapter.

Caught up to Elusive Warrior

Spoiler

Again, the horse guy was just kind of a weird novelty at first...even though it was a very creepy novelty.  But the execution and characterization, both in his fighting style and the backstory they just gave, makes it hit harder.  This series feels like it's in full form right now.

Don't have a lot to say about the new Showha Shoten just because I'm still trying to piece together what exactly happened that they're probably gonna reveal in the next chapter.

I didn't check out Fabricant 100 yet but I think I will. Something about the teaser for it piqued my interest.

I totally agree re: The Elusive Samurai Samurai. That last panel :crying2:

Are you caught up on Sakamoto? The last few chapters have been really good!

Also have to mention the recent chapters of HxH: The Phantom Troupe's origin story was fascinating and heart-breaking at the same time. Some of the panels in the chapter this week... Oh man. Please never go on hiatus again, Togashi.

Sakamoto's coming soon.  I still have it, Undead Unluck, My Hero, and Kaiju No. 8 of the main series I follow to catch up on.  And Sakamoto Days is the one I'm most looking forward to catching up on, so I'm trying to power through the other ones before I do that.  But I've been hyped reading your little comments.

PPPPPP #60

Spoiler

Reading this weekly is kind of reminding me that this manga gets so personal and introspective that not a lot happens in a single chapter sometimes.  And I enjoy the ride, but after being able to binge, it leaves you constantly waiting to see what's happening next.  I'm curious about Furusu becoming a conductor, and Fanta...seeming more kind and human than he had seemed basically the whole time until a couple chapters ago.  That's nice to see.

But also like...Lucky's mom just died...we holding off on that? :confused:

Akane-banashi is also in a state of really kind of waiting to see how this chain of chapters ends before it feels like there's something remarkable to say:

Spoiler

I'm not really sure I'm super into Urara's Rakugo.  I like the spin on sensuality and it not being like a cheap distraction, but it's not really grabbing me enough to want to spend 2+ chapters talking about it.  I'm more interested in seeing what Akane learns from it/how further interactions with her go.  Like the character is interesting, but I dunno, I'm just not really feeling the performance that much.

Oh, and Ichigoki's Under Control actually got me to laugh pretty hard with it's second chapter, so I'm probably gonna follow that until it probably gets cancelled.  Maybe. Who knows.  It's pretty funny, and that goes far in Jump sometimes.

I'm behind on a lot of stuff but I did check out the first chapter of Fabricant 100 and it definitely has my interest