Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shade Aurion

AZ2R (WIP)

Okay, so this is my top secret remake of a beloved game. The second Zelda game on the NES. I haven't shown this to many people outside of those who created the engine i'm using to develop this.
Basically, i'm trying to take an old school side scroller and re-envision it in ALTTP/Minish Cap styled graphics with alterations to bring the game more in line with other games in the series through renaming items and introducing items that weren't in the original.  I've got a lot of extra items working and will extend and elaborate areas where it feels right to do so and perhaps flesh out the world a little while trying to stay as true to the story and original map as possible. The challenge is imagining side-scrolling areas as top-down action adventure areas and I thought it would be a lot harder than has been. 4 temples (changing palaces to Temples for consistency) have been mapped out on paper. I'm trying to get the world map done first while paying attention to towns and making them more memorable than the dull original towns. I'll likely switch them around too and instead of them all having humans, have a Goron town (Darunia) and a Gerudo village (Nabooru)
Since Ruto is right at the beginning I was thinking of making Kasuto the Zora village too.

Anyways, here are some screens:

This is the original World Map for Western Hyrule (for reference)

qKqFhFk.png

Mockup of the logo:
8ORrmYg.jpg

Ruto Town (Barebones)

4qJyjmJ.jpg

Ruto Town (More Progress)
9mOKuwQ.jpg

Desert Cave (where you retrieve the Trophy)

qT4bEt9.jpg

Desert Cave (More Progress)
SNMXXu5.jpg

Parapa Palace (Empty but ready for enemies)

PXNkKQt.png

And this is a comparison from the NES version compared to mine.

pCG2Kgm.png
lT8V889.png

Northern Passage Map South of Ruto)

qRmt6nN.png

Hyrule Castle (Barebones WIP)

eWvNf6d.png

That's probably about enough for now. Despite showing this I have been as vague as possible. Each area is pretty thoroughly planned out and I do have more maps half done but i'd rather wait til there is something more substantial. I'd kinda worked on random areas and if I focus a bit I can just reveal 2 more quarters of Western Hyrule. I do plan to give Link a house in Rauru Village that you can return to and check records and such. Maybe a father using the dad sprite from Minish Cap and editing it? I'll likely re-use, edit and repurpose a lot of Minish Cap, Four Swords and ALTTP sprites and enemy sprite sets. Obviously, they'll all eventually be editing to make their style consistent but as place holders, the sky is the limit. The final boss is already completely planned out. I know a great way to pull it off, make it difficult and fun and already have his character sprite set ready to go but I need to organize his AI and complete the area even as a stand-alone room for testing.

Actual Spoilers

I may make post-game content but my plan is to make slight alterations to the story so shit makes sense (no more 2 Zeldas bullshit) have the magician friend of the prince actually be Agahnim the shadow of Ganon and not die in the beginning but instead, off on a quest to deactivate the Temples (which Link will then have to go and reactivate with the stones) and then have him pour his power into a tall af mirror at end game which Shadow Link will smash through and aggressively attack you with all your items or at least boomerang, hookshot, bow, shield, magic rod, etc. Post-game content would likely be to link it with Breath of the Wild as chronologically that would be the next game.

AZ2R is on hiatus for a bit while i'm rotating projects but i'll get back to it soon. There will be no teaser trailer or demo and i'd appreciate if nothing left this thread as if AM2R is anything to go off, Nintendo DMCA's them quick smart. I want to release when complete and just be like "Surprise internet, spread this shit" so when Nintendo uses the ban hammer i'll be like "aiite" and back off but it will be too late >=D

Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shade Aurion said:

Geruda village

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Parapa Palace (Empty but ready for enemies)
PXNkKQt.png

Reveal hidden contents

And this is a comparison from the NES version compared to mine.
pCG2Kgm.png

lT8V889.png

Reveal hidden contents

Northern Passage Map South of Ruto)
qRmt6nN.png

Reveal hidden contents

Hyrule Castle (Barebones WIP)
eWvNf6d.png

That's probably about enough for now. Despite showing this I have been as vague as possible. Each area is pretty thoroughly planned out and I do have more maps half done but i'd rather wait til there is something more substantial. I'd kinda worked on random areas and if I focus a bit I can just reveal 2 more quarters of Western Hyrule. I do plan to give Link a house in Rauru Village that you can return to and check records and such. Maybe a father using the dad sprite from Minish Cap and editing it? I'll likely re-use, edit and repurpose a lot of Minish Cap, Four Swords and ALTTP sprites and enemy sprite sets. Obviously, they'll all eventually be editing to make their style consistent but as place holders, the sky is the limit. The final boss is already completely planned out. I know a great way to pull it off, make it difficult and fun and already have his character sprite set ready to go but I need to organize his AI and complete the area even as a stand-alone room for testing.

Actual Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I may make post-game content but my plan is to make slight alterations to the story so shit makes sense (no more 2 Zeldas bullshit) have the magician friend of the prince actually be Agahnim the shadow of Ganon and not die in the beginning but instead, off on a quest to deactivate the Temples (which Link will then have to go and reactivate with the stones) and then have him pour his power into a tall af mirror at end game which Shadow Link will smash through and aggressively attack you with all your items or at least boomerang, hookshot, bow, shield, magic rod, etc. Post game content would likely be to link it with Breath of the Wild as chronologically that would be the next game.

AZ2R is on hiatus for a bit while i'm rotating projects but i'll get back to it soon. There will be no teaser trailer or demo and i'd appreciate if nothing left this thread as if AM2R is anything to go off, Nintendo DMCA's them quick smart. I want to release when complete and just be like "Surprise internet, spread this shit" so when Nintendo uses the ban hammer i'll be like "aiite" and back off but it will be too late >=D

Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions

Reveal hidden contents
Desert Cave (where you retrieve the Trophy)

qT4bEt9.jpg

Desert Cave (More Progress)
SNMXXu5.jpg

Gerudo :lurk:

Otherwise, looks good!

Edit: Board won't let me delete the rest of the quoted stuff

• Like 1

Yeah I had to hastily copy and paste some shit and its all fucked XD
Forum code just says no. I don't envy Webs frustration XD

I will be including a roll mechanic, ocarina with similar functionality to OoT minus actually playing the songs. I'll likely just have a ring menu with songs to choose from.
I'll have ice, fire and light arrows, bombs, megaton hammer, probably switching out items like the trophy and crucifix for something better. I'll keep the kidnapped child. I absolutely want to recreate link holding a tied up child above his head like an item all TA-DAAA!! n shit XD

I'll also use some sprites from the Third Quest SNES remake of Zelda 1 too as chronologically that game is set just prior, like literally the same Link. I wanna do something with Ganon. Maybe make a Shadow Ganon fight before the final boss. The whole game is literally supposed to be Zelda in a coma because her brother is an idiot and Ganon's minions out for Link's literal blood to use as a catalyst to bring back Ganon. I don't want to make Link to OP but I want to feel strong playing this, not an underpowered pussy like the original game made you feel some times. I can substitute some difficulty in puzzles and pepper in harder enemies here and there. Most bosses should be easy to implement. Others will require some advanced work. Fucking Helmethead and Volvagia..

Edit: Cleaned it back up. 3 more images should be viewable now and typos fixed

8 minutes ago, Shade Aurion said:

Third Quest SNES remake of Zelda 1

The what now?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MT said:

The what now?

Do I need to make you another gdrive link?

Maybe... :lurk: