Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garlic Junior

Studio Ghibli General

Most of the Ghibli films have been on Netflix for a while and I hear the US gottem in the last week.

I finally crossed something off the bucketlist and watched all 23 in chronological order (fight me if you say there's only 21 or 22 lol).

Have you seen them all?

Favourite?

Worst?

Isao Takahata vs Hayao Miyazaki who would win?

Not gonna do the last one as it's apples and oranges! As for worst, I haven't seen them all but I saw a bit of the Earthsea one and it wasn't great. Oh, and if it counts then some (though not all) of the dubs make me want to switch off right away. :x

Have you seen them all?

Nope... maybe about half overall?

Favourite?

I have a few that I like for different reasons... I have a huge soft spot for Kiki's Delivery Service, and I've found that several of my illustrator/creative friends do as well. I don't think it's coincidence given the themes of the film. :) Love Mononoke but it's both so long and so intense at points that I can't watch it often. Loved Whisper of the Heart and I liked The Wind Rises way more than I thought I would. The most infinitely rewatchable one for me  is Howl's Moving Castle - it's different from the book but it has such a special something of its own ( *whispers* I might actually like it more than the book...), and I can watch the dub or the sub comfortably enough. Total loveliness and comfort viewing.

Edit: Forgot to mention Spirited Away - I think I saw it during all the hype and it didn't really settle as one of my favourites; maybe partly due to all the hype, and also to me it felt a bit like "then this happened, then this happened..." but I watched it properly again a few months ago for the second time and I felt what it would be like to watch it as a child - it would have been one of those films like Labyrinth or The Neverending Story, which just pulled me in with their weirdness, scale and vulnerability and completely bewitched me. I'll only know once I watch it a third time, but it might be edging towards the favourites list now. :)

• Like 1

Hmm, yeah not in the US but on the new HBO service apparently you can watch them so I might have to check them out. I own quite a lot of them on Blu-Ray. They’re actually not that bad off Amazon.

I haven’t seen all of them. Mostly some of the older obscure ones that are harder to get or the newer ones. I probably have seen all but 4-5 or so.

It’s hard to pick favorites. The vast majority of them are wonderful in so many ways and typically have some flaws here or there. Mononoke is probably Miyazaki’s most impressive work. It’s hugely influential and amazingly inventive. I think I’m similar to Jane with a lot of my favorites: Whisper, Kiki’s, Laputa and Howl. Spirited Away is also one of the more technically amazing of the bunch but for whatever reason I’m not as inclined to go back and rewatch it.

And yeah Earthsea is probably the worst, which is a shame because the novel series is good.

• Like 1