Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garlic Junior

Your Career

Who is your daddy and What do you do?

Do you enjoy your job?

Do you consider it a career or just something to pay the bills?

How did you get to this position?

What's next for you?

What do you do?

Technical Implementations at a large bank.  Basically, people that want to accept payments through their own systems (or companies that make software to resell) come through my department and we help them with the documentation with how to use our system, setup test accounts for them, and check to make sure they're doing everything properly then certify them to start processing in production.

Do you enjoy your job?

Yes!

Generally I consider it a career.  I'm at a level now where I'm making really good movie and what I do is interested (and varied which I love), so it's definitely a career.  I left my job in IT because the management was awful to come here because management is fucking awesome and lets us do whatever we want as long as our shit gets done.

My boss in IT ended up leaving for this place after they brought in a whole new management structure (we merged into the bank) and IT ended up sucking.  He told me about it and I ended up tracking down the manager that was hiring here, talked to her for like 45 minutes before that was even posted, and ended up eventually getting it.  It helps that I've worked at my current company for like 12 years give or take at that point (about 2 or 3 years ago).

What's next for you?

Whatever looks good in general.  Right now I'm going to be working on getting a promotion to the next paygrade so I can get a sweet raise.  Then I dunno.  I like it here so really, I have exactly what I want.  The flexibility is a huge draw.  If that ever starts getting cut back, I'll probably look for another position where they still have the flexibility I want.  Now that I have a kid and stuff, it's really nice to just drive in half way through the day and work from home all the time.  The only thing better would be an actual 100% work from home job.  That's something I'd probably keep an eye out for.

On 10/23/2019 at 5:53 AM, Garlic Junior said:

Who is your daddy and What do you do?

Do you enjoy your job?

What's next for you?

1. I am a Custodial Lead at a daycare on a military base. 

2. No, but I do feel like I am actually making an impact. As an army brat myself I know how much these places help soldiers. 

3. Just to pay the bills, though the company I work for is expansive enough for it to become a career as one of the highest positions is currently filled by a man who started as a custodian.

4. Worked 2 years as a part time custodian, learned everything that needs to be done as a lead and took advantage of the company's understaffed state. 

5. Work about year in this position before start looking for something higher up the chain woth better pay.