Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

Your curated web browsing experience

What do you do to make the web less shitty? Browser extensions, custom CSS, other workarounds to make poorly designed sites more usable, whatever else -- share your favourite solutions here.

Every ad blocker I can find. Nukin that shit from orbit. 

• Used to use Stylish skins on Reddit because it looked like it was designed in 1993 but the new design is fine now.
  • Google search fixer to make Google look the same in Firefox mobile as chrome.
  • Ublock Origin
  • YouTube blocker extension to hide those annoying fucking channels that post fake trailers and other YouTubers I find fucking annoying lol
  • Bypass paywalls extension (especially on mobile) to get around the fucking only x free articles shit at news sites
  • Redirect amp to HTML to go to normal websites and not the stupid amp versions
  • I don't care about cookies to get rid of the fucking "we use cookies on this site" banners.  Not like I have a choice of telling them to turn that off lol.
  • Custom skins and launcher web app for my various media center uh....programs.  They look like they belong together so it's nice.
  • Firefox containers to keep my Facebook login isolated. Same for banking apps.

That's a pretty good list web :thumbs: 

I've gone back to Chrome for a while now but have been thinking about switching to Firefox again. I really like what they've been doing with Firefox. I can't even remember now why I switched back to Chrome...

I like to use the Stylus extension to sprinkle in some custom CSS, mainly to hide elements and streamline websites (like to get rid of a bunch of shit on these forums when I'm on desktop ;))

I'd guess on mobile you went to Chrome because it's WAY faster than Firefox.  I'm still on Firefox Mobile because it has EXTENSIONS.  My god I can't believe I went so long on mobile without extensions.  UBlock alone is fucking night and day.  Firefox on Desktop seems as fast as Chrome and isn't trying to constantly steal my information. :rotfl:

I can't be bothered to try and mess with most websites.  I do wish the dark skin on Slickdeals wasn't broken and was thinking I might dick with it to fix the alerts page but then I just swapped back to the default skin because I'm fucking lazy. :rotfl:

Sometimes though yeah.  Some websites have some REALLY annoying shit on them.  Stylish is good for that.  Also ublock actually as well.  I was using that to block a couple sites that had annoying fucking autoplay videos (internal ones) by nuking a certain element on the page.  Now Firefox has the no autoplaying sound thing and that's good enough for me.  Thank fuck for that.