Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

Black Clover [Anime]

Oh man, Langris fucks up Finral (and maybe tips off that he's Eye of the Midnight Sun)  and then the Black Bulls fucking pull the Jounins-on-Neji from Naruto :shiny:

Kill'em all Xerx/Zora :salute:

• Like 1

Black Clover had hit a bit of a lull for a while, but the last couple episodes have really ramped up.

Spoiler

Absolutely loved how the last two episodes were handled.  Finral getting a lot of background and character development, getting over his own glass ceiling but still losing to shake up the usual Black Clover formula.  Langris being more layered than we thought, going crazy and potentially possessed by something related to the EotMS.  Good Asta chastising, and fucking Zora!  It's a shame the next episode will be just a Petit Clover special, but thankfully I love the post-show segments, so hopefully it'll at least be an enjoyable break.  Just sucks it comes right after the arc is getting good.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm okay if Black Clover filler ends up being cutesy Petit Clover adventures :nod:

re: Xerx

I thought Mars as the kind of Gaara/anti-hero turned good guy deal didn't work as well, but this works really well. Zora's got good motivations to be the way he is but should also recognize Asta is what he wants the Magic Knights to be. A redemption and revenge arc playing out at the exact same time.

Also I think his design is really cool

19 hours ago, DeJaPon said:

Yeah, I'm okay if Black Clover filler ends up being cutesy Petit Clover adventures :nod:

re: Xerx

Hide contents

I thought Mars as the kind of Gaara/anti-hero turned good guy deal didn't work as well, but this works really well. Zora's got good motivations to be the way he is but should also recognize Asta is what he wants the Magic Knights to be. A redemption and revenge arc playing out at the exact same time.

Also I think his design is really cool

Spoiler

Completely agree with this.  I think the biggest problem with Mars' face turn was that it felt so sudden.  We never saw the progression, and for both he AND Fana to turn like it's nothing, it felt unearned.  With Zora, we know where his motivations lie now and they line up with his neutral-ish stance that he's had until now.

But yeah, Zora is the shit.  I was really drawn to that backstory.

• Like 1

I take it back, the Petit Clover music for 20 minutes is grating.

(That altered opening was pretty good shit tho)

Haven't watched it yet, but having that music for a whole episode definitely sounds like it would be a bit much.  Was the content enjoyable otherwise?

Sorta. My memory is trash and I felt like some of the Petit Clover episodes were repeats, so maybe all of them were and I just forgot.

Holy fuck, the episode started and then 30 seconds later it hit commercial break

- Zora is so fucking cool. Wrote a magic circle on himself despite it being a constant drain on his magic

- Black Asta looks a lot like Yuno

- Peasant-ass Asta telling Royal Langris that he hates him back :shiny:

- That moment where Yuno's looking on as everyone surrounds and catches Asta. Asta's got that Naruto/Luffy thing where people want to fight with him, but Asta's been an irregular shonen rival because he's the one who believed in him from the start and has never really shown signs of turning on him or being jealous of any of his success. I wonder if he's gonna get sneak-Midnight Eye'd somehow the same way Langris did instead of overtly becoming Asta's enemy

- And now Yuno's so fired up that he wipes out his opponents immediately

- Looks like Aqua Deer Captain vs Yuno is going to be batshit

- Oh my FUCK when is Rill vs Yuno Round 2?

- Julius knows who Zora is, and didn't just ignore Zara when he met him ;_;

• Like 1

Ep. 89

Spoiler

I live that we finally got some action fr Gordon.  I was wondering when we'd finally see his magic and get him to actually do something.  That backstory makes so much sense.  Also loved getting Grey's backstory and Gauche finally admitting his love for his comrades.

Curious to find out what's up with new dude.  He's clearly a Black Bull.  My girlfriend's theory is Yami was basically like, "Hey, join the Bulls and you can sleep as long as you want.  Just guard the hideout"

Ep 89

With a bit of the focus on the episode about "wtf is up with this castle" and then how they only woke up once the Midnight Sun infiltrated, I assume the new Black Bull is the physical personification of the castle itself, or the mage otherwise controls the castle

35 minutes ago, Death Rider Mox said:

Ep 89

Hide contents

With a bit of the focus on the episode about "wtf is up with this castle" and then how they only woke up once the Midnight Sun infiltrated, I assume the new Black Bull is the physical personification of the castle itself, or the mage otherwise controls the castle

Spoiler

I was thinking something similar, especially the physical personification idea.  The truth is probably somewhere in between all those theories.  But kudos to Black Clover for setting up some curiosity intrigue.

There should hopefully be some exciting stuff coming up.  I know some manga readers have hyped fights that haven't occured yet.  That Yuno/Till fight was fucking incredible, though.

Ep 90

- Henry ;_;

- Asta being Henry's friend because he doesn't have magic power ;_;

- Yami tossing Henry a Black Bulls cape because he's basically grizzled older Luffy from One Piece ;_;

- RAGING BLACK BULL

- Kage Bunshin no Waifu: Grey Version ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

- Yooooo, they're raising the Giant Demon

Ok so i'm like 70 ish episodes in... wtf is with the bird?  I know its attracted to him because he has no magic but this bird has motives...  :hide:

• Like 1

YE. Nero's low-key making moves in the background

There was a while I was thinking Nero was the Wizard King, but I think it's past that being the likelihood.  Especially since he's had so much screentime.

Maybe connected to the demon somehow?

- Mereoleona straight up monster

- Oh wow, Raia could actually copy the Anti-Magic Sword. I guess I never really thought about it, but the Anti-Magic Swords come out of Asta's Grimoire so they must be a form of magic even if they don't utilize mana
- Oh okay, he couldn't copy that anti-magic properties of the sword because obvs they would cancel each other out
- Ahhhhh shit, dat main event in the preview

I've been kind of assuming that Nero is an aspect of the giant demon that the OG Wizard King defeated, as are Asta and Yuno

:jumboshiny:

- VANGEANCE IS LICHT VANGEANCE IS LICHT OROCHIMARU VS THIRD HOKAGE TIME

- God, Julius is so overpowered. Stealing time from his opponent

- FUCK that episode was like 3 minutes long

Spoiler

Mereoleona is such a beast.  Legit might be the most powerful Magic Knight with that display.  At least as far as just raw power goes.

Vangeance outright being Licht kind of surprised me.  I had assumed maybe he was possessed or a sleeper agent or something.  It makes me wonder about the full details of them sharing the same vessel.  Also, who or what is the thing in the base that they could feel the heartbeat of?  Is that the "master" that Licht ultimately serves, or is that the actual body of Licht?

Either way, Julius getting to actually fight is awesome.  I hope the next episode treats it more like Yami/Licht or Rill/Yuno where we get a whole half of the episode dedicated to the fight with minimal dialogue.

That said, judging by the title of the next episode, I get the feeling it may be the last time we see the Wizard King :(

• Like 1

Thissss fucking episode

- Oh my god, Julius' grimoire

- A grimoire without a cover

- The last bastion of order, a human that the natural order created to counter the Midnight Sun's drive to defy the natural order. Cool as fuck

- OH FUCK, LICHT'S NUKING THE KINGDOM

- D'awww, Zara taught Julius a lesson <3

- Oh hey, the hard-worker with little magic power and the magic savant. Asta and Yuno

- HOLY SHIT JULIUS

- He's so fucking overpowered

- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ;_;

- FUCK OFF WITH THE CLIFFHANGERS

- Asta moved faster than Mereoleona

- Another Anti-Magic sword

- They keep talking about acquiring magic while Licht is setting the magic stones, I think they're gonna be sacrificed to revive the great demon

- Yup, there it is

- YUNO

- New OP

- OP is making it look like Yuno stays a good guy, I really can't tell with him. It feels like he'll be the new Licht host or he's some kind of key plan in the Elven resurrection scheme, except changing the shonen rival formula up by having him be unwitting.

- Hrm, so the Elves also had the same method of getting Grimoires at a certain age, and FUCKING NINGEN didn't have much in the way of mana or magic power even though they still got Grimoires

- Eyyyy, OG Raia

- Ohohohohoooooo, Patry became Licht?

- Hrm, so how does the Great Demon/Demons that originally were wiping out humanity play into this? Did they set everything up to massacre the Elves (conceivably the Elves would've been their biggest threat)

- I wonder if actual Licht is in Yuno

- Oh shit, Marx and crew are gonna blame Yami for Julius? :(

Awww shiii, Mereoleona's going to kill everybody and Fuegoleon's gonna wake up and kill everyone back

Eyyyyy Fuegoleon hooks up with Salamander, ex-Captain, just in time to become the new Wizard King?

Also it's interesting that Salamander/an elemental spirit seems to be working against the Elves. Possibly enslaved by them before? I wonder how Yuno's wind spirit is reacting to him Elving up

On 8/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, Death Rider Mox said:

Hide contents

Eyyyyy Fuegoleon hooks up with Salamander, ex-Captain, just in time to become the new Wizard King?

Also it's interesting that Salamander/an elemental spirit seems to be working against the Elves. Possibly enslaved by them before? I wonder how Yuno's wind spirit is reacting to him Elving up

Spoiler

I thought the same thing re: Salamander.  It's possible he just chooses raw power and potential regardless of motives, but I think the enslavement/trickery angle makes the most sense here.

I popped huge for that reveal, though.  And seeing Fuegoleon back on his feet warms my heart.

Really curious to see how this elf possession angle goes, and whether anyone either dies or stays elf-sided rather than ultimately being saved.

Oh, and Yami is still a certified badass.

• Like 1

Yoooooooooooooooooooo, the Anti-Magic Swords and Grimoire are the real Licht's. Does that make Asta the reincarnation of Licht?

Elves probs should've tried to reincarnate one of their own as Mereoleona

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe Yuno's Licht's body and Asta is Licht's reincarnation? :x

Now THAT'S how you do a 100th episode.

Spoiler

Holy shit.  That was a lot of action in one episode.  At first, I was a little disappointed that Yuno recovered from the reincarnation so quickly, but I think what followed more than made up for it.  Seeing Asta and Yuno finally fighting side-by-side was epic, and naturally, it was one of the high-budget moments of the show.  I love when they break out this special animation style for the big fights, and it constantly feels like it's evolving.  There are still definitely moments where you can tell it ends up being a shortcut for detailed drawing, but it's so effective in capturing how big these fights are.  That final blast at the end was insane.

Aside from that, Asta getting the new sword in his grimoire: Is that part of his evolution or is that a sign that Licht took the grimoire, too?  Raia seemed to confirm that Yuno, or the person reincarnated inside him, is related to Licht in some way.  Was that his son?  Or is that too obvious?

I also really liked seeing Magna again, training hard to surpass his limits.  Depending on how long this all carries out, I think he'll be the one to either convert or kill Luck after some kick-ass battling.

• Shiny 1

Good GOD

The Swords changing when Licht has them in his hands too. They no longer seem to cancel magic, but absorb, focus and/or direct it. Or it could be like a safety device in some ways, the swords are essentially useless in anybody else's hands but for some reason Asta evolved the ability to wield them despite not being the person they're made for or something.

Real Licht is so fucking overpowered. But it also seems kind of out-of-character for him from how the Elves have always described him. I wonder if his body is just fighting or being controlled and when he wakes up he'll be like "Shit, what are we doing? We should be trying to get along and figure out what happened.

• Like 1

The fake-out with the demon-skull and it's just the Death Egg flying over

Dat Sister Lily seeing them as kids and then it switching to them now :')

That Healing Container Asta kept is going to become key at some point for some weird reason.

The actual Xerx Lugner again :lol:

For a second, I thought Rades was going to reincarnate the giant demon

Dat explanation on magic power and why even though Royals have the most natural talent, they also don't research or train because that talent is so overpowering. Probably why The King is such a moron even though he should technically be the strongest one there is.

Also Noelle manifesting her mom's silver powers and Zora having magic that even the Elves haven't seen before :shiny:. It might play into the above, where the Elves were so powerful that they wouldn't need to design or research such complicated trap magic.

And using a bubble bath as a healing spell :rotfl:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- Charmy: The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

- What the FUCKKKKKK at that ending, there's something else or some third force going on o.o

- Lichtt looks terrified in the preview and they're calling it "Mastermind." Got Kaguya'd from Naruto

Oh mannnnnnnnnnnnn

- Raia knew that the humans didn't betray them because he can tell if someone's lying, he kept it to himself

- Isn't Asta's Grimoire the 5-Leaf Clover?

- 115 episodes in and we're finally seeing Demons from the intro

- "Word Soul Magic", I was gonna say, he doesn't have a Grimoire

- Vangeance/Licht/Patry's Grimoire turned into a 5-Leaf Black Clover

- Asta's possessed by a demon but it can't 100% possess him

- And Licht's baby is in Yuno, so that's why it never really took him over

Black Clover 116

- OG Licht did summon the demon, but he also seems to hate the demons?

- NERO TALKED

Hell of an arc.  I'm a bit bummed, though, about:

Spoiler

Julius being back in some shape or form.  Feels like it kind of cheapens the journey.

I half agree, but his power-set being Time Magic at least makes it less of an ass-pull, and there really wasn't anyone else set up well enough to become the new Wizard King.

This is my kinda filler :nod: (CAPTAIN FIGHHTTTTT)

I would probably catch on to the fact that this was filler eventually (too many episodes where nothing was accomplished plot-wise by the end) but you could fool me that episodes like 154 are canon (Studio Pierrot of all people making decent filler too, wtf)

• Like 1

So I've actually read a couple chapters ahead in the manga.  The whole 6 months is completely skipped(unless they cover some of it in flashbacks) and it jumps right into invading the Spade Kingdom.  So I find 153 and 154 to be excellent ways to use filler.  Really, once they got past the Devil Believers arc, the filler became enjoyable again.

Spoiler

Small thing, but I really liked the way Magna pleaded to join the training in the Heart Kingdom.  I'm hoping we get some other kind of tournament eventually and we get a proper Magna/Luck showdown after they're both super-powered.

• Like 1

Yep, pretty much. The Devil Believers ending especially made no sense, but episodes highlighting character development and reinforcing character traits and letting characters fight each other (with shockingly good animation for filler) is something I'm all for :thumbs:

It's kind of weird when the average animation of the filler has been considerably better than the average canon episode.  There are a lot of tiny moments where you can tell the animators are taking advantage of the freedom.

• Like 1