Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eizan

2019 NHL Playoffs

So, can the Lightning win 4 straight or will they go out in the first round despite having one of the best regular seasons in a long time? 

Also does downshift come in and say fuck Vegas? 

Anything can happen in a 7-game series, but the Tampa/Columbus thing is pretty nuts :popcorn:

I'm looking for the Jets to turn their series around, and I would also like to see the Leafs solve the Boston playoffs curse. (But I'd also be OK with another traffic game 7 loss)

Was legit wondering if Tampa was setting themselves up for an upset. Badass regular seasons put teams to sleep and then they can't gear back up when they play against a team that's been playing for their lives for months.

Tortorella being Columbus' coach and knocking off Tampa would sure be some shit too.

Pittsburgh potentially getting swept seems a little surprising too. With hindsight, probably shoulda kept Fleury :uhoh:

Hypothetical: Isles beat the the Pens and go on a run, and Boston crushes Toronto's soul again; does Tavares wish he'd stayed in NY? :lol: 

Maybe he was the problem? :uhoh:

(How tf are the Islanders even here? Just looked at their roster and there's nothing special going on there :uhoh: )

Blue Jackets out to a 3-1 lead already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeJaPon said:

Maybe he was the problem? :uhoh:

(How tf are the Islanders even here? Just looked at their roster and there's nothing special going on there :uhoh: )

I haven't followed hockey all winter so :shrug: 

43 minutes ago, Eizan said:

Blue Jackets out to a 3-1 lead already. 

4-3 now for CBJ so Tampa's not going down without a fight. Only got one period left to get the W though.

RIP Bolts

Central Division is brutal. Central bracket both tied after Game 4s and Colorado wiping the floor with Calgary in the Pacific bracket.

First time ever that both #8 seeds (or in this case, both second wild cards) beat both #1 seeds (or in this case, both conference champions) in the same playoff year.

If the Jets don't get their shit together then the Leafs are our only hope for a Canadian team to bring the Cup home.

Congrats USA teams on another Cup win :lol: 

Blue Jackets vs Avalanche Finals? 

I'm hoping the Stars can knock off Nashville. 

The Leafs need to eliminate Boston. We don't need the chance of Boston winning all 4 championships. 

• Like 1

>St Louis

>Colorado

>Dallas leading their series

Just need the Red Wings and it's every year of the early/mid '00s all over again :lol:

It's all up to the Leafs now :rotfl: 

@Downshift You not following the Sharks this year? 

I mean the even knocked off Vegas. 

If Carolina wins tonight all 4 Wild Card teams will advance...hopefully the Bruins fall to the Blue Jackets. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 2:47 PM, Eizan said:

Also does downshift come in and say fuck Vegas? 

Fuck Vegas! :lol:

I've been closely following, just didn't realize this site had a topic.

This is Jumbo's year...

7 hours ago, Eizan said:

If Carolina wins tonight all 4 Wild Card teams will advance...hopefully the Bruins fall to the Blue Jackets. 

The Blue Jackets have been really hot since February basically, and it's been quite the run since the last couple weeks of the season through their sweep of Tampa. I think there's an argument to be made that they are the favourites to win the Cup at this point.

Sharks or Bruins gotta be the favourites just from the combination of finals experience and being the two top seeded teams left. Though, all the Cental Division teams are probably better than their records indicate because they had to play each other a lot all year and it looks like there's a lot of high level talent on all of three of them.

I guess the Islanders are a top-seeded team too (at least by record), but that roster doesn't look like a 103 point team, so I'm assuming it's Barry Trotz being a really good lesser-team coach, and the only time he got past the second round/won the cup was with an all-time great in Ovechkin on the roster, and the Islanders have no one remotely close to being a star player on it. Whoever comes out of NYI/CAR is getting the conference finals as a gift because I think Boston or Columbus would beat both of them if they were matched up that way.

When was the last time, if ever, all 4 division winners were eliminated in the first round?

Just had a quick look. It almost happened in 1982 and 1986 but both Cup winners that year won their divisions (Islanders and Gretzky Oilers)

When the NHL was a 6-divison league, 1998 and 2013 did have 4 division winners lose, but #1 seeds made it out of the first round in both cases.

So it's a first basically

• Like 1

Carolina Hurricanes kind of make me mad tbh

Since 2002, 17 seasons, the Canes have only made the playoffs four times, including this season.

However, they've made the conference finals all four times, also including this season :nono:

(Not too mad tho, Rob Brind'Amour partly grew up in my town)

Now I want all Wild Cards in the conference finals

Stars are a Wild Card team, so I'm ok with that. 

Welp Blue Jackets been eliminated. So much for the all Wild Card Conference Finals.  

Fucking Boston...

• Like 1

I don't have much hope of Carolina beating them, but maybe they prove me wrong

At least it seems the Celtics will be knocked out, so Boston will only be in the hunt for 3 of the 4 championships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eizan said:

At least it seems the Celtics will be knocked out, so Boston will only be in the hunt for 3 of the 4 championships. 

I don't to jinx it, but the Celtics are a bit of a shitshow. I think some of those guys are already planning their summer vacation.

My fun Wild Card playoff dreams aren't coming true :(

I have always liked the Blues though, so I don't mind that they advanced

Taking Boston and San Jose to make the finals. I'm pretty comfortable with Boston winning against Carolina, unless this is a huge coming out party for Aho and Teravainen and/or the ghost of the Hartford Whalers strikes. San Jose I think them being to the finals before and beating St Louis in this exact position a few years ago (without Karlsson) shows that they should probably beat St Louis, though Binnington being a surprise monster goalie does give me a bit of pause.

I'm cheering for St Louis and Carolina, so naturally they are both losing. I really want Carolina to beat Boston because I don't trust either San Jose or St Louis to stop Boston from winning another Cup :uhoh: Probably not happening though. 

I'd honestly be OK if the Blues beat us because they also have never won the Cup before.

Carolina's not getting past Boston.

And fuck Boston.

Yeah, right now it's looking like Carolina's run is over. But I will hold out just a bit of hope that they can come back for a miracle game 7 win. Get Boston out of here!

Damnnnn, Shark's got away with one in Game 3

All aboard the Blues bandwagon!

I think they can too, but I also think Boston is probably more likely to win based on the stats. Rask has been really good throughout the playoffs so that will be a big problem for St Louis to try to solve if they're going to win the Cup.

St Louis stole one in Boston :nod:

(Also first ever finals win for them despite being in the finals three times, expansion was a weird time)

• Like 2

Please beat Boston ?

• Like 1

I completely forgot they were still doing this thing :lol:

Yay Blues

One more game blues. 

I feel if they don't close it out in Game 6, Boston will win. 

• Like 1

>Canucks

>Looking to trade for Milan Lucic

Awkwardddd :uhoh: