Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eizan

2024 Baseball Season

Both got pretty stacked lineups and both have a pretty good 1-2 punch for starters. 

I think the Rangers/Phillies would be a entertaining WS. 

It feels like the Phils could be any and every team right now. Like they find a different gear in October.

I was pretty confident the Rangers would advance after going up 2-0, but at the same time I knew Houston had it in them to come back. They are a very tough and experienced team. I felt like Game 4 was must-win for Texas. Once they let Houston even it up to 2-2, it was over in my mind. Going back to Houston for Games 6 and maybe 7 really swings things in the Astros' favour. It will take a miracle now for Texas to turn it around. This is a bit reminiscent of their World Series against St. Louis where they just couldn't quite finish the job.

I'm happy to see the DBacks even up their series with the Phillies, though I am still quite confident in Philly. An upset would be cool too though. I just can't help but think about that damn trade the Jays did sending Moreno and Lourdes for Varsho... :ugh: :sigh: 

So Seattle and the Blue Jays both have contributed to the DBacks postseason success?

Sewald has been good closing for them. 

If the Rangers win game 6, do they go to Scherzer again for game 7?

Yeah, I don't get why the M's love trading their closers so much :rotfl:

I guess the Rangers don't have much choice but to use Scherzer if it comes down to Game 7... But I don't think they'll feel super good about it. He'll probably have a pretty short leash. His fastball was alright in his first start back, but the slider wasn't working. Maybe he can make some mechanical changes before the next start to be more effective. But if the slider isn't working then that makes it too easy for the Astros' hitters.

Houston's weird struggles at home came to hurt them this series. They might have been better off as the Wild Card team instead of Texas. 

Man, I did not see Texas coming back after blowing all three home games. Weird series. Props to the Rangers for being resilient. 

I expect Philly to win tonight… But if Arizona does then that will be interesting. 

If Arizona wins at least someone new will win or someone who hasn't won it in 20+years. Hell, when did the Phillies last win? 2009? 

Texas/Arizona in the World Series would be a pretty low combined win total for two WS teams. Very strong Wild Card vibes. Maybe not great markets for big TV numbers either. I guess tonight’s game will be rigged for Philly :rotfl:

That was kind of a boring World Series, outside of game 1. 

I thought it was a pretty decent series. Not the most memorable, but enjoyable. I miss baseball :(

Ohtani signed with the Dodgers. 10 years for 700 million...did you think the Jays were even close in getting him? 

I uhh also have no idea what the Mariners are doing...aside from trimming pay roll. 

Nope, I didn’t think for a second that the Jays would land Ohtani. 10 years / $700 million is nuts. Imagine how much the Jays would have had to over-pay on top of that to win the deal. You can’t build a team like that. Unless you’re the Dodgers :rotfl:

Seattle definitely appears to be clearing the decks to try to sign a big free agent. Maybe Snell or Bellinger? Yamamoto? Or are they losing money in their TV deal like how San Diego got messed around by Bally / Diamond Sports? That would also cause a team to cut payroll. 

So it has to be World Series or bust for the Dodger right? 

Dave Roberts can't have a job if they fall any earlier next year? 

I think they've spent more in this offseason than the Mariners have in the last 5 years. 

They spent over $1 billion just this month :rotfl:

Anything less than multiple World Series wins should be seen as disappointing for L.A.

How you feeling about the Jays? 

I like the Mariners Rotation, but uhh not to thrilled about the line up. 

I am setting expectations low for the Jays. They didn’t do much in the off-season to improve the team. Really though, the biggest improvement would be for Vlad to play up to his potential. They should have been a better team last year and would have been if Vlad was hitting like in 2021. 

I can see the Jays finishing 3rd or 4th in the AL East and missing the Wild Card. It feels like their narrow window of opportunity from a couple years ago might have closed already :-/ 

The O’s are likely going to be a problem this year. I could see them struggling a bit after their big surprise last summer, and I’m hoping they stumble a bit… but really they should be a strong team again, and for years to come. 

The Rays always find a way to compete. 

I’m not counting the Yankees out just yet. 

And while I expect Boston to be a bad team this year, sometimes they can surprise you too. 

There will also be more heated competition for the WC spots from ALC and ALW teams like last summer. 

Overall my outlook isn’t great for Toronto this year. I hope to be proven wrong!

So @Eizan what do you think about the whole Ohtani / interpreter controversy??? I’m very curious to hear Ohtani’s statements today. The stories don’t all add up :monocle: 

I'd like give him a benefit of a doubt, but kind of hard to believe he didn't know that much money being wired from his account. 

Jays win on opening day in Tampa :love2:

How does Angel Hernandez still have a job? He's has to be one of the worse umpires I've ever seen. 

Anyways, Jays and Mariners playing each other already and seems neither of them have anything going right now.

Seriously, slow starts for both Toronto and Seattle. Fortunately it’s a long season, so they have time to get on track. But for Toronto it just feels like more of 2023. Not fun! Expectations are getting lower…