Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

Sports Docus Pocus

Started watching the netflix series Formula 1 - Drive to Survive. I've never watched F1 before so most of it is new to me.

Kinda hoping Netflix's incoming NASCAR Bubba Wallace docu is similar to this

I’ve been meaning to watch the MJ thing forever now… The Last Dance?

Shattered also sounds like a really interesting podcast docu series about the Knicks. It was produced by The Athletic.

I’ve never gone down the F1 rabbit hole… maybe someday…

• Like 1

I'm probs gonna DVR the next Grand Prix, I've nearly finished watching the first season of Drive to Survive in one go. I'm a lot more impressed by it now than I used to be, especially the helmet and front-wing view footage of how fast they're going and how much of their reflexes they're relying on.

OK why does it seem like everyone is suddenly getting into F1 lately? Lee's gotten into it and I've seen a few people on twitter start getting into it, is it because of things like the netflix show or is it just me noticing people talking about it more so i'm more aware of it ANSWER ALL OF MY QUESTIONS THANKS

Did Lee watch Drive to Survive? I have also noticed more F1 talk lately. Drive to Survive seems to be the gateway drug for many, but I guess even people who didn't watch Drive to Survive are getting sucked into F1 because their friends are getting into it. Everybody's doing it! You want to be cool, right? Time to get into F1 :cool: Like Ma said though, it's pretty incredible what these drivers do. The more I learn/hear about it, the more it fascinates me. You could spend hours and hours just reading about tires (which I happen to find interesting, but maybe I'm just a sicko :fup:) I still find it hard to envision myself watching an entire race, but you never know :shrug: 

When I saw this thread title, I had to think long and hard about what "Docus" meant :lurk: :lolgrin: I eventually clued in that it was short for documentaries, but at first it threw me... I was thinking "docus" as in a word (I'd never heard of) that rhymes with "focus" or "locus"... :dunce:

From what I know, it's a combo of Drive to Survive (watched the first season in one day, super good) and then people finding out the races are only like 2 hours with very few commercials (or at least no commercials when they're not under caution for something).

I think the thing that impresses me the most is that the cars do actually get close to each other and try to side-draft each other and stuff. I'm used to NASCAR where rubbin' is racin' and you're mostly not lifting for corners all that often and always thought of F1 and IndyCar as racing styles where they can't even nudge each other without the car exploding.

One thing about it is that it seems the sport pretty European hierarchical in that the same two or three people/teams win everything and everyone else is kind of competing to be the best of the rest.

I went to the Toronto Indy once when I was a kid. Pretty incredible to see/hear those cars up close. Watching a race in-person wasn't that much fun though. Definitely seems like a sport that is better suited to watching on TV so you can actually see what's going on around the whole track. Cool experience though. My dad used to own a tire shop and he had close contacts at Goodyear. They hooked us up with some pretty awesome tickets to sports events over the years.

1 hour ago, little birdy said:

Did Lee watch Drive to Survive? I have also noticed more F1 talk lately. Drive to Survive seems to be the gateway drug for many, but I guess even people who didn't watch Drive to Survive are getting sucked into F1 because their friends are getting into it. Everybody's doing it! You want to be cool, right? Time to get into F1 :cool: Like Ma said though, it's pretty incredible what these drivers do. The more I learn/hear about it, the more it fascinates me. You could spend hours and hours just reading about tires (which I happen to find interesting, but maybe I'm just a sicko :fup:) I still find it hard to envision myself watching an entire race, but you never know :shrug: 

When I saw this thread title, I had to think long and hard about what "Docus" meant :lurk: :lolgrin: I eventually clued in that it was short for documentaries, but at first it threw me... I was thinking "docus" as in a word (I'd never heard of) that rhymes with "focus" or "locus"... :dunce:

FUCK I WAS ALSO READING IT THAT WAY IT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE NOW FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• ROFL 1

:highfive:

confirmed with Lee---- it was the docus pocus on Netflix that got him into it

IMPORTANT:

The third season of Drive to Survive is juicy as fuck.

I’m about halfway through Shattered and it’s great. Chuck D is an awesome narrator. Dolan is a pretty terrible owner overall. I more or less knew the Knicks have been a shitshow for a long time now, but it’s pretty fascinating to hear all the details. 

He's also to blame for the Rangers being bad for a significant stretch of time and being so-so competitively once they lucked into Lundqvist

Do they talk about Lebron and Durant and everyone else snubbing them for other places?

They talk quite a bit about The Decision in 2010, the team’s sales pitch to LeBron, etc. What a mess :rotfl: I expect they’ll touch on KD and Kyrie going to Brooklyn in a later episode. They’re working chronologically. I’m into the mid-2010’s now. I think they’ll be getting into all the Porzingis stuff next episode. 

Shattered #7 is revisiting all the more recent goings-on and tragedy. The KP trade to clear all that cap space, Knicks fans being convinced that KD and Kyrie were coming _and_ dreaming on a #1 lottery pick to land Zion. Didn’t quite play out that way :rotfl: :fup: I was listening to a lot of basketball podcasts at this time, but I had forgotten many of the details. It’s fun reliving it. 

The ESPN 30 for 30 "Once Upon a Time in Queens" about the '80s Mets was incredible

Ohhhh man, Drive to Survive is going to be some wild shit this year