Old School Forum
Downshift

Dogshift?

6 hours ago, Lucy said:

Lol, pick one

Any breed with short hair that doesn't require much maintenance will shed regularly, though this can be reduced with some light grooming with a rubber mitt or curry brush or similar; any breed that sheds significantly less usually has longer hair that needs much more regular brushing and/or trimming. 

This - people think "short fur must shed less!" but what you need to remember is that the longer each strand of hair is, the longer you have before each hair falls out. A dog with short hairs will shed each individual hair much more frequently than a dog with longer hair will. I have a shetland sheepdog and we do get some fluff around and have to brush him quite a lot (especially as the seasons change), but the actual volume of hair to deal with in between brushes is much less than when I lived with short-haired dogs, and the hairs also stick into your clothes less (softer fluffier strands are easier to get off with a brush or lint roller than little ones that get stuck like pins in the fibres of your clothes).

Other thoughts - although they make gentle pets, Cockapoos aren't genetically lap dogs! Cocker spaniels are a traditional working breed, mostly bred for flushing out birds from long grass when shooting - don't know so much about the smaller-size of poodles, but poodles are a working breed too (the curly coat is because they're designed to retrieve them from water). They're both gundogs, basically. There are tons of cockapoos round here now and I think people often underestimate how much exercise and stimulation they need - the ones we meet are friendly and outgoing but also full of energy and a bit mental.

Would also be careful with collies/collie crosses if you want a protective dog - they're very intelligent and energetic, but are designed to herd and at best to guard; they'll defend their home, but usually by barking very loudly at any perceived threat (which can include the postman). Outside of the home, they can be on the nervous side and are more likely to want to run than to fight. That's not to say you couldn't find the perfect one for you, especially if it was a mix, but if I was looking for a dog to actually protect me from a mugger I wouldn't bet all my money on a collie type. ? 

• Like 2