Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hornet

Doomsday Preppers (Netflix)

...Is one of mine and 18's favourite shows right now, owing in part to the personalities.

Some of the guys are nice, likeable switched-on types. There was a hippie drum circle in one episode that built a bomb shelter and horded a bunch of beans. The self-description of the prep basically went; "We're going to go into the bomb shelter, then we're going to come out and continue drumming and eating beans. Nobody will bother their ass with us because we don't have a lot going on here other than drumming, eating beans and blazing joints, and we're all much too old to be good as labour." They were my favourite people.

Then there are absolute fucking maniacs. One guy decided to welcome his Colombian... And I don't want to presume, but I presume pretty f hard in this instance mail order bride to the country by Scaring the Absolute Shit out of her about dirty bombs then making her, fresh off the damn flight run in heels to a bugout vehicle to shoot guns and eat out of date MRE's in a mosquito filled field. It was excruciating to watch.

Early on in season one, there was a guy who's whole prep was; "I'm a master herbalist. I'm going to go to a filthy artificial river, identify edible greens and drink the water." The assessment of his prep went something like; You are going to die.

Then there was like a matress-king like guy. One of these lizard-people who make a shitload of money out of some stupid like, franchised truck-nut welding empire... who spent like; ten million dollars building a shoddy castle out of breezeblocks. Wait though; He made sure the breezeblocks were Textured on one side so it looked more castle-like. Then he made his entire horrible clan Audition for 100% of his inheritence (which was mostly tied up in Fort McMansion, at this point) by eating out-of-date beans and failing to shoot guns safely, before he lead them all into a bunker in a lightning storm, which promptly got struck by lightning (no lightning rod!) whereupon all the electrics promptly shat themselves. Watching these Kristen and Todds play into this nugget's Henry VIII dynastics fantasy knowing that if they don't, they'll inherit diddly squat from this fuckin "Job Creator" was singly the funniest thing I've seen on television this year.

I love this show.

edit: OH! And there was this creepy-ass Dr Kervorkian or Strangelove-esque nuclear scientist who while demonstrating the effectiveness of the guard tower his prepper-friend built... Gave his friend permanent hearing damage by shooting a ridiculous gun inside the blind. Just KABLAM, tinnitus, deaf for like 3 months with permanent high-end hearing loss. I felt awful for the friend. Ughhhhh, imagine hearing that whine knowing you'll never hear at that frequency again :(