Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

Spring season 2023

Only a few weeks away! I still find it hard to believe we're nearly a quarter of the way through 2023 already... :O.O: 

Links

What are you looking forward to?

For me, it's a relatively short list:

• Dr. Stone: New World-- Despite my complaints about this show, I came to enjoy Dr. Stone more and more as I read the manga. Looking forward to seeing the next arc animated.
  • Ousama Ranking: Yuuki no Takarabako-- I don't know if this is just a one-episode special or a full season, but I'll take whatever I can get. Bojji and Kage will soon be back in our lives! :shiny: 
  • Gundam: Witch From Mercury Part 2-- Can't wait to see what happens after the crazy finale of the first part.
  • ...and that might be it...

There is also a new KonoSuba series this Spring which could be amusing, so I'll at least give it a try for a few episodes and see how it goes. Seems like it is going to focus on Megumin (explosion! :rotfl:). Might be fun.

I will try out some other random stuff that pops up on Crunchyroll, but nothing is really jumping out at me right now.

*takes deep breath* FUCKING FINALLY WE GET SEASON 2 OF THE FUCKING MAGUS BRIDE!!!!!!! :shiny::whoop::mosh: I'VE BEEN WAITING TOO FUCKING LONG FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
ALSO DEMON SLAYER VILLAGE ARC !!!! *coughsandcomposesself*

Also interested to see where Dr. Stone leads with this season. Moar primitive science crafts!
And Konosuba will be great for just plain insanity stuff. I'm looking forward to this. And finishing the 2nd half of Vinland Saga S2.

Ones that Im curious about
Jigokuraku. Looks like another good one from MAPPA

Spoiler

Tales of Outcasts looks like it would be an interesting fantasy story.

Spoiler

But other than those 2. Looks like Spring is super Isekai heavy and nothing else is catching my interests. (Other than maybe the Magical Girl Destroyer one but that sounds like another anime I've seen with actual magic and more action.) Who knows maybe this is my season to catch up on older stuff.
*Waits for @Anelle to react that we have another season of Ousuma Ranking. :lurk: *

The new Ousama Ranking is just a special that is non-canon.  But it'll still be great to see.  I've now successfully gotten both of my partners hooked on it.

• Like 1

:highfive:

Speaking of Isekai...I'm still kind of surprised the Smartphone one got a 2nd season. 

Ready for Demon Slayer because unfotable never disappoints in animation quality. 

• Shiny 1

Isekai is what sells right now. To the point where some isekai make fun of it in small ways it's gotten such a hot genre. So kinda not surprised but that's saying that without having seen the series. Nothing against it, i've just gotten more choosey since the genre exploded.

Yeah, isekai is on quite the run of sustained popularity! People must be watching them in big numbers if studios keep making more of them. 

Gimme another season of Grimgar please… 🙏 

Omg yus. Grimgar was especially a good one! I should rewatch that one.

I just realized we’re getting a second season of MIX this Spring!!! :mosh: I’m not sure how I missed seeing that. I love a good baseball anime :heart:  

I BEEN DONE KNEW ABOUT THE OUSAMA RANKING SPECIAL but i mostly screeched about it on twitter lmao

• ROFL 1

I checked out a couple new things this weekend…

Hell’s Paradise

Unremarkable. I was going to turn it off during the OP because the song was bad but I kept going. I’ll give it one more episode but not expecting it to hook me. 

My Home Hero

The premise is kind of ridiculous but I sort of liked it. I guess I can identify with a middle-aged dad who wants to protect his family in spite of his weaknesses :rotfl: 

Looking around at stuff in Crunchyroll last night, I totally did not realize that last year they did a Dr. Stone film introducing Ryusui. Watched it last night, and, I gotta say, it got me pretty hyped for the new season. Bring on the new world!

• Like 1

Mashle is One Punch Man with magic instead of superheros and i am here for this madness.

Okay, Jigokuraku has my attention and curiousity with the creep factor they put in. Only halfway thru the first ep too. Animation and color is nice to boot.

I watched the first episode of A Galaxy Next Door tonight and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Good feel/vibes and I think it’s going to be a nice little story. 

On 4/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, Tassifox said:

Okay, Jigokuraku has my attention and curiousity with the creep factor they put in. Only halfway thru the first ep too. Animation and color is nice to boot.

I'm always in for anime like this. So far I like it.

• Like 1

Second episode of Hell’s Paradise was pretty solid. More memorable for me than the first. So I’ll stick with it a while longer. 

Hell's Paradise Episode 3 

Spoiler

Nice they set up the guy with the Eye Patch like he's going to be a big character only for him to be killed pretty quickly. Actually they killed of a lot of people pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Somehow I didn't realize we were on Ep 3 already. I somehow missed the real Ep 1 and started on Ep 2 so I had to backtrack and watch that and then continue with 3

Spoiler

It was when they were showing flashbacks of Saigiri's investigation of Gabimaru that I was like "wait, when did that happen?" And the mentioning of his wife that he didn't even mention in Ep 2 (which what I thought was Ep 1 at the time) so I got thrown big time.

And honestly? I am legit curious just how much of that "here's all these fuckers already dying as soon as they get onto the island" that is legit real. Although I do love the instant Battle Royale vibes I got with that. I mean obviously the dark haired woman is still alive because 1.  No blood on her unlike the red-haired guy she was "making an alliance" with and 2. She's in the OP credits. I feel pretty sure that the Concubine Prisoner is legit dead and possibly the Eye-Patch Guard. But with how WTUTTERF this episode ended with weird creatures, I am wondering just how mind-fucked are we gonna get and see what was legit real and what might not be what it seems?

Jigokuraku ep 4

Spoiler

The weird titans speak!

Okay we get clarification that one of the other prisoners is for sure ded. Knew the ninja chick had to been faking. 

Curious of what the clashing religions have meaning in this island.

Jigokuraku ep 5

Spoiler

"Go home and go make babies like a woman's supposed to" :thebirds: Go fuck yourself Genji i hope you die from that Giant that legit fingerbanged you.

Ship graveyard and tentacle monsters. Y'all are SO fucked.

This island is getting more and more weird

Anyone been watching Dr. Stone?

It's been getting me hype reliving this arc so far.  This portion is one of my favorite bits of the manga.

I haven't seen the new season pop up on my gogoanime feed, but i know it should be out now. I'll look into it tomorrow.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, Psycho666Soldier said:

Anyone been watching Dr. Stone?

It's been getting me hype reliving this arc so far.  This portion is one of my favorite bits of the manga.

Okay for somw reason gogoanime was not only not popping up the new season on my feed but also only had the first 2 eps dubbed. (Meh, i'll live) so watched it.

Spoiler

I fucking love that they pretty much focus on mankinds 1st food love. BREAAAAAAAD.

Maybe they'll make cheese next!

I have definitely been watching and enjoying the new season of Dr. Stone.

Two unexpected hits for me this season are Skip and Loafer and A Galaxy Next Door. Especially Skip and Loafer :heart: I recommend it for sure. @Anelle I think you might enjoy both of these shows.

Hell's Paradise 7

Spoiler

"How dare you interrupt our genderflu8d sexy time"

"I am Groot"?

Kid has skillz

She is *not* an ordinary kid. Probably a love child of the kinky duo from earlier.

I AM GROOT

Ooh that regeneration

Yea because pit of bodies with floral growing isn't creepy AT ALL

Every week Hell's Paradise confuses me in a new and interesting way :lolgrin: I am not exactly loving this show, but I'm not hating it either. I guess it's one of those "it's just OK but you have to watch it to see what happens" kind of shows.

Skip and Loafer continues to be the runaway hit for me this season. I look forward to it the most every week.

Since i finally have some free time. I'm catching up on Skip to Loafer. It's cute. Nice slice of life fluff with the fuzzy feels. 

Yay! It's great :heart: 

I've been enjoying Insomniacs after School which has been a pretty enjoyable slice of life anime for me this season. 

Hell's Paradise E8

Spoiler

Even though he was only in like 2 episodes, I really like Tenza. :(

This was easily one of the best episodes for this show. 

On 5/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, Eizan said:

Hell's Paradise E8

Hide contents

Even though he was only in like 2 episodes, I really like Tenza. :(

This was easily one of the best episodes for this show. 

Spoiler

At this point I'm pretty much expecting Battle Royale style here and have 1 survivor...possibly 2 at the end of all this and it's not gonna be the people we think it'll be.

Because those fucking Tenshi. Literal gender fluid gods that will fuck them up for disturbing their peace.

Skip and Loafer continues to be AOTS for me, I adore this show and all the characters :heart: (even Mika :lol:)

Dude Hell's Paradise certainly keep up the ante

Spoiler

New facts:
-The Tensen use humans to make elixir
- The little girl is def a Tensen (can't remember if they pointed that out in explanations with the Ent)
-FUCK THERE ARE 7 OF THEM NOT INCLUDING MEI
- The ents used to be human on the island. Probably turning into a tree isn't the worst death on the island?

Gabimaru why you be dumb and doing shit on your own?
OH? Tensen evolution? or de-volution? Nope, just form change.
Offta, here's another pair.

HEY GUESS WHO COMPLETELY FORGOT THIS PLACE EXISTED BUT WAS FEELING SAD LIKE I WAS MISSING SOMETHING

Oshi no Ko anyone? Yes? Yesss? i'll have to actually catch up on posts.

• ROFL 1

To be fair you've been busy. Be it RL or Zelda.

I wasn't interested in the story all that much with Oshi no Ko but with the kind of vids that have been coming up on my Youtube feed and giving me horror or creep vibe?......i'm slightly curious.

On 6/5/2023 at 9:20 AM, Anelle said:

HEY GUESS WHO COMPLETELY FORGOT THIS PLACE EXISTED BUT WAS FEELING SAD LIKE I WAS MISSING SOMETHING

Oshi no Ko anyone? Yes? Yesss? i'll have to actually catch up on posts.

SKIP AND LOAFER !

On 6/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, Tassifox said:

To be fair you've been busy. Be it RL or Zelda.

I wasn't interested in the story all that much with Oshi no Ko but with the kind of vids that have been coming up on my Youtube feed and giving me horror or creep vibe?......i'm slightly curious.

There is deffo more to it than the blurb tells you! Give the first episode a shot, it's extra extra long but for good reason!

AND SKIP AND LOAFER IS ON MY LISTTTTTTTTTTT Tassi is right tho, I've put a looooooooot of hours into the new Zelda game and now that I'm back on my Adderall my attention span has been getting a lot of art and housework done instead of binging anime lol

• Like 1

I wonder if Hell's Paradise is gonna get a 2nd Season? (I haven't double checked the episode count so if it's only 12-13 then we're just barely scratching the surface of stuff).
Shit just keeps being spoon fed here to us and I love/hate it sync because of it.

Spoiler

So we have 7 Tensen (immortal beings)
                  ? Doshi (underlings who are competent)
                  Many Soshin (mindless religion frakensteins)
                  Tan (fuel ingredient to make Elixir of Life)
                  1 Ent and 1 immortal kid that is also possibly Tensen
                  5 prisoners and 5 guards left

And tao is the key of power here that seems to be the secret to defeating the Tensen.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:29 AM, Anelle said:

AND SKIP AND LOAFER IS ON MY LISTTTTTTTTTTT

IMHO you will really enjoy this one :nod: 

Speaking of shows we all liked (Tassi too IIRC?), I was delighted to notice the other day that we're getting more Horimiya this summer: Horimiya: Piece. I can't believe it was already two years ago that the first series ran. I loved that show :heart:

On 6/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, Tassifox said:

I wonder if Hell's Paradise is gonna get a 2nd Season? (I haven't double checked the episode count so if it's only 12-13 then we're just barely scratching the surface of stuff).
Shit just keeps being spoon fed here to us and I love/hate it sync because of it.

Reveal hidden contents

So we have 7 Tensen (immortal beings)
                  ? Doshi (underlings who are competent)
                  Many Soshin (mindless religion frakensteins)
                  Tan (fuel ingredient to make Elixir of Life)
                  1 Ent and 1 immortal kid that is also possibly Tensen
                  5 prisoners and 5 guards left

And tao is the key of power here that seems to be the secret to defeating the Tensen.

Hell's Paradise can be infuriating at times. Confusing and sometimes bad, but other times very good and very interesting. I just can't look away :rotfl: Gabimaru's fight with that one Tensen was wicked, I think that was last week's episode... Gabimaru is one crazy dude. MAL says it is 13 episodes, so I'm not sure how they finish this story up with the time that is left. Feels like there has to be a second season---or a very unsatisfying ending, which also would not totally shock me :rotfl: 

• Like 1

Ehhhhhhh?! More Horimiya! Fuck yes!

Skip to Loafer is indeed cute but i think Dr. gives it more rave than i would tbh. I admit it's better than i was giving the synopsis cresit for but it doesn't stand out to me the same way it does him.

I'll legit be pissed if Hell's Paradise doesn't get lit for a 2nd season. I love mind fucks like this and i feel they get underrated with the Isekai boom we are still having.

I watched the first 3 episodes of Skip and Loafer last night and I'm loving it so far.  I dunno, cute slice of life stuff is always fun to me.

14 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Ehhhhhhh?! More Horimiya! Fuck yes!

:highfive:  :shiny: 

14 hours ago, Tassifox said:

Skip to Loafer is indeed cute but i think Dr. gives it more rave than i would tbh. I admit it's better than i was giving the synopsis cresit for but it doesn't stand out to me the same way it does him.

Yeah, I am a huge fan of this show. I don't expect everyone else to like it as much as I do, but I like it so much I have to keep mentioning it :D 

1 hour ago, Psycho666Soldier said:

I watched the first 3 episodes of Skip and Loafer last night and I'm loving it so far.  I dunno, cute slice of life stuff is always fun to me.

:highfive: It just keeps getting better IMHO !

15 hours ago, Tassifox said:

I'll legit be pissed if Hell's Paradise doesn't get lit for a 2nd season. I love mind fucks like this and i feel they get underrated with the Isekai boom we are still having.

I'll definitely be on board to watch a second season as well. Too curious to find out what weird thing happens next.

• Like 1

Well, Dr. Stone: New World is done (for now). 11 episodes is kind of a weird number. Anyways, I thought this season was great overall. Episode 11 especially was very good. Byakuya :salute:  They will be back in the fall season with part two. 

Ousama Ranking: Chest of Courage also wrapped this week (only 10 episodes). It was great having Bojji and co. back in my life this spring. I love this story and these characters. Watching the last couple episodes, I felt like I would have gotten more out of it if I read the manga... it felt like at least one seemingly important character got teased in the final episode. Oh well, I'll just wait for more anime. Here's to hoping there is more to come in the future!

The 12th and final episode of Skip and Loafer is going to air next week. I am probably going to be really bummed out when it's over :sad: I want more.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:56 PM, dr. b said:

The 12th and final episode of Skip and Loafer is going to air next week. I am probably going to be really bummed out when it's over :sad: I want more.

It's over :crying: :sad: Skip and Loafer was fantastic, start to finish. Tuesdays will never be the same :crying2: You know a show was really good when you get this sad that it's over.

Skip and Loafer is my AOTS without a doubt. I will definitely be rewatching it in the future :heart: 

S&L ended well, kinda wished we got a touch more on the tea between Shima and Ririka but I'll take it. It was a good overall explanation.
Konosuba ended on a fun tie in to the first season and I loved it. I wonder if they'd do the same to a couple of the others?

VINLAND SAGAAAAA- Omg i pretty much teared up at the last episode after everything Thorfinn went through in this series. :crying:

Still have a few shows to go but 1 of them will be carrying on into Summer Season.

Okay @AnelleI went ahead and watched the first ep of Oshi no Ko (which THANKS for telling me that was 1.5 hours long XD ) And I will admit. I am curious. It's actually interesting how they balance the lightness and dark underbelly and hidden intonations and possible facts in the dialogue. I also appreciate how they break down a lot of the Idol industry and what can or can't go beyond that in the entertainment industry. Watching enough anime you do more or less have an idea that it's no different of difficulty of trying to survive an industry like that from US pop culture but I do appreciate the extra effort they're going into it. 

• Shiny 1

Finale of Hell's Paradise was pretty rad. Season two already announced! The first season was a mixed bag but ended on a strong note, so I'm up for more :nod: 

I keep forgetting to actually come post here, but I've watched 3 eps of Skip and Loafer when my fuckin' flare ups allow me attention span and it really is so nice and refreshing to have a good lil slice of life to look forward to! I'm actually way behind on any and everything else though, just ain't had the spoons to pay attention to plots or dialogue.

Tassi I'm really glad you're giving Oshi no Ko a shot! I did warn you it was long ahahahaha I ain't even current on that anime at this point! I only got 1 or 2 eps but still. I manage to keep up with the manga tho! There's been some cool developments there so I'm excitedddd

I desperately want to at least start Hell's Paradise, maybe I'll be able to do that this week. I've watched people talk about it and just not been able to start it

Hooray you're back :hug:

Glad you're enjoying Skip and Loafer so far. It is truly one of my favourite shows in a while.

And, yeah, you've gotta give Hell's Paradise a go. Even if it mostly seems weird and dumb and bad, it sucks you in anyways. And it legit gets better, actually quite good, in the latter part of the season. But even when you think it might be bad, it is still compelling somehow.

AUGH TONIGHT WAS GONNA BE AN ANIME NIGHT BUT CRUNCHYROLL KEEPS GIVING ME AN ERROR WHEN I TRY TO LOG IN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I WANTED MY SLICE OF LIFE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Mad 1