Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tassifox

Winter Season 2023

Okay now that I'm actually having a moment to sit down and type this up. IT'S TIME TO TALK ABOUT NEW ANIMU~~ And Winter season is promising!
So obvious for continuing I've got
To Your Eternity S2
Hero S6
Urusei Yatsura

For new seasons~! :shiny:
VINLAND SAGA S2
BUNGO STRAY DOGS S4
PART 2 OF DANMACHI S4
ORPHEN S2
TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGUN STAMPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDE~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AGGRETSUKO S5!!!!

And for new anime in general I'm looking at:
Buddy Daddies
High Card
Revenger
Ars no Kyojuu
Hikari no Ou

WHAT ARE YOU EXCITED FOR?!
https://anichart.net/Winter-2023

If Trigun is on Crunchyroll then I’ll be watching that for sure. And I guess I’ll keep watching Stray Dogs since I watched the previous seasons. Other than that, I’m not super jazzed for anything. I need to check if there are any promising anime originals coming up…

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War 

Mainly because it shows what happens between Sen No Kiseki(Cold Steel) 2 and 3. 

I'll still watch Hero Season 6. 

Not sure what else I'll have time for. 

Yeah, I took a more in-depth look at the Winter 2023 season today and double-checked Cruncyroll's lineup announcement as well. Buddy Daddies and Revenger are the only two anime originals that look like they could be promising, and Crunchy will have them both, so I'll be checking them out. Add on Trigun and Stray Dogs and that's four series I could be following this season, which seems like enough for me. All four should be starting this week/weekend.

Bungo Stray Dogs started up today! Looks like we're going back in time to the beginning of the organization.

tbh I found this new episode of Stray Dogs a bit dull. I expect it to get better in upcoming episodes though. I didn't love the stylistic choice to not use much colour. Like, I think I get what they're going for with that look, but I didn't love it. YMMV and all that. The other problem is that I've never found Fukuzawa to be a very interesting character. Thankfully, Ranpo's antics injected some much needed fun and entertainment into the episode! He is definitely one of my favourite characters, so I will enjoy seeing his evolution.

Watched the first episode of Revenger last night. The start was decent but I lost interest as the episode progressed... however I will stick with it for at least a couple more episodes to see where it goes. Gen Urobuchi wrote it and he's created some pretty fantastic stuff over the years. There's hope it could be a good story.

New episodes of The Way of the House Husband hit Netflix this week. I didn’t realize I never actually finished the first season, so I’m picking it up there. The beach volleyball game and then the bespoke aprons :rotfl: :laugh:

First episode of Buddy Daddies was okay but I’m not totally sold on it yet. 

First episode of Trigun was very good and I am already looking forward to next week!

Buddy Daddies gives me that "3 Guys and a Baby"movie mixed with Spy Family vibes. I'm liking it so far and omg that kid has no boundaries XD

Trigun I'm holding off opinions until further watching. Still not a fan of the animation style choice but I will give the company itself cred for how well some movements work. (And also after learning from MT that they took out Milly who to me helped me feel like being a giant woman validated growing up is going to make it harder for me not to judge this in bad views more. :grumble: ) I DO find it interesting how they're going with the story direction here and I appreciated about the explanation of the importance of the PLANTS better than the old TV series. (I never read the manga so if it was explained more there, I wouldn't know)

Episode #2 of Stray Dogs was a big improvement over the first one, IMHO. Finally we have colour! :shiny: Ranpo's the best :thumbs: 

Okay i wanted to like Buddy Daddies but the kid is grating on me. If it doesn't change on 3rd ep I'm dropping it from my watch list.

Spoiler

I find it stupid that as of 2 episodes she's been in the middle of gunfire twice and acts unfazed with the tunnel vision of "Daddy daddy daddy!!!"

4yr old antics are one thing, but how they go about this pretty much outweighs the good parts of this show.

Haven’t watched the second episode yet but I wasn’t impressed with the first one :-/ 

I did however enjoy the second episode of Revenger more than the first. I’ll stick with it a while longer!

• Like 1

For once we agree, 2nd ep doesn'thave it much different from 1st. I like the setup with the 2 spies but the kid....the kid just kills it.

Also agreed on Revenger. Nice to have a new samurai-era series to look forward to.

-Danmachi S4 Pt 2 is getting super good.

-Trigun.....is a mixed bag of feelings for me so far but not bad enough mainly because i want to see where they're going with on the story. 

-Vinland Saga is starting out strong! Can't wait to see where it goes there.

-Ars no Kyojuu is interesting in their lore and fantasy. Plus fun characters so far.

5 hours ago, Tassifox said:

For once we agree...

It might have been short-lived..! :lolgrin: 

Late last night before bedtime, I decided to give the second episode of Buddy Daddies a try, fully expecting to not like it and then probably never watch the show again... but I honestly thought it was very amusing. The kid is of course very annoying, but she reminds me quite a lot of all the annoying things my own kids did (and continue to do in the case of our 4 year old) so I couldn't help but laugh. That first scene, the kid needing the toilet and then whining for a lift up and all that, that's played out in my own apartment several times over the last couple years. I can't help but appreciate it.  So, I will at least give this show one more week.

I'm going to watch the second episode of Trigun now.

You're right. It was short lived. 🤣

Granted. I don't have kids. But i've lived with people with kids in that age/younger plus have friends with kids of that age in wide range of personalities. So while i expect Miri to have that persona most of the time and yes, be an annoying 4yr olf (especially when they confirm her age). It takes out the believability for me when they keep it at that hyperfocus during their missions and doesn't keep me interested in watching. 

Normally i'll put the 5ep watch minimum in new stuff for me but Miri is making me not want to last that far. 😅  We'll see how ep 3 progresses.

Kids… :ugh:

In other news, I’m still enjoying Trigun a lot!

Very solid new episodes of Stray Dogs and Revenger this week :nod:

• Like 1

Trigun continues to be interesting with how the story is going.

Spoiler

Knives is -actually- more scary badass than he was in the original.

They seem to be going a bit fast forward with introducing Knives and his Squad but i don't hate it.

Wolfwood! Yay!

Buddy Daddies is....maybe growing me.

Still enjoying the rest of my lineup including the new new stuff like Revenger, Ars no Kyujuu and all that.

I'm all-in on Buddy Daddies. If I didn't have kids, maybe I would hate it... :rotfl: 

I am really enjoying Trigun. I haven't watched the original anime in forever, and I don't think I ever read the manga... so in a way it feels like I'm seeing this story for the first time again. Great to see Wolfwood join the action this week :nod: 

• Like 1

I never read Trigun manga either so comparing it to the older series, it seems like they've fast forwarded to the 2nd half of the original anime with the characters they've introduced so far. *Except Millie, I will be forever salty about that. :badrazz:

We finally got a chance to sit down and start Trigun Stampede together (and then I caught up current on it because I wanted to watch in Japanese, I'll still watch the English dubs with Lee as they release)

The animation is MUCH MUCH more charming than the trailers seemed to be, there's still parts of it that just feel like CG clunk but they've really gone all out with facial stretch and squish for emotions and the like! Lots of good overall movement too, I'm really pleased and really enjoying the ride so far!

Gonna give Buddy Daddies a go soon, I've been in a huge pain fog for like a month straight but there's light at the end of the tunnel so hopefully I can start other stuff too!

Buddy Daddies grew on me very quickly after not being super thrilled by the first episode. It’s kind of dumb and derivative/unoriginal (in that I think the creators are basically trying to ride the wave created by Spy x Family by taking that concept and tweaking it a bit)… but Miri, while in some ways is very annoying, amuses me to no end because she reminds me so much of my girls. You might like it or you might hate it :lol:

Miri is super annoying. If anything by ep 5 they're finally turning it down to (what i consider anyways) more relatable level of 4yr old behavior. I honestly dunno if i'm gonna keep going with it. I might just let it be until down the line i come back to it when i don't have a full roster to watch. 

Bungo Stray Dogs is getting guuud tho.

Crazy stuff going on in Stray Dogs this week! :O.O: 

• Like 1

This week's Trigun

Spoiler

GAHHHH LITTLE ORPHAN WOLFWOOD

Eeee they fucking kept Legato!!! Hgnnnn!

More good stuff this week in episode #7 of Trigun  Stampede. I am thoroughly enjoying this show!

Revenger is getting more weird and gritty than I expected with the whole opium angle. It’s not my favourite new show, but I like how it has been a bit unpredictable. 

Duuude ep 8 of Trigun!

Spoiler

WE FINALLY KNOW WTF KNIVES AND VASH WERE

Never read the manga and they never really explained it in the original TV. You just knew they weren't human but there was something different about them with Rem and the rest of humanity's research. Even if this is a reboot, i'm glad to have some fucking backstory covered on that finally. As well as how Vash kinda got around after the crash initially. We knew in the original tv that there were survivors that knew Vash forever from a older community but that was it.

Yeah, I am loving the background details that are being revealed in Trigun Stampede.

It's been so long since I watched the original anime, so I couldn't remember a lot of stuff... I started reading wiki pages a few weeks ago to refresh myself a little bit, so that clued me in to the fact that Vash and Knives are actually independent plants. Makes sense since obviously they're not just normal people. I feel like, back when I watched the original anime, I never understood (or it didn't show it? but it's probably just me being dumb :lolgrin:) that plants were living things. You could interpret plant like a power plant, a machine of some sort, or plant as in a living organism. Reading wiki pages was a real eye-opener, and I am really enjoying watching the anime play out now that I have a better understanding of that stuff!

• Like 1

Spoiler

I rewatched the original tv not long aho since they had announced about Stampede coming. And most of my memory was a lot of the first half of the series before they get into Vash's past life on the ships. So it was nice to refresh the memory and no, they never really explained a lot. Even when they go back to one of the original ships in the sky where the crew there knew Vasj before his new name as The Humanoid Typhoon. They always hinted at the Plants and Vash/Knives and dropped info here and there. But never clarified. As much as i'm missing the insanity of the side quest episodes. I am really enjoying that they've refocused on the mainline story and giving us those lacking details. 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, new one-hour special of SnK!

:mosh: :mosh: :mosh: 

The first 10 minutes or so were absolutely brutal, those poor kids :rip:  :rip: 

Some fantastic action sequences throughout.

There are not enough :salute: smilies in the world for Hange... :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:  :crying2:

I don't know when the next episode will hit, but I am so hyped for it, there is some incredible action yet to come. Based on the number of chapters left to cover, I guess one more one-hour episode special would cover the rest of the story...

Spoiler

R.I.P. Hange :crying:

On 12/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, Tassifox said:

PART 2 OF DANMACHI S4

So...I never watched this show, but youtube does like to suggest some random anime clips to me...

Spoiler

So youtube suggested clips from I guess the most recent episode of this show, but god damn I didn't know this show got this brutal as far as violence goes. (Astrea Massacre) 

I might actually go and watch this series now...

• Shiny 1

8 hours ago, Eizan said:

So...I never watched this show, but youtube does like to suggest some random anime clips to me...

Hide contents

So youtube suggested clips from I guess the most recent episode of this show, but god damn I didn't know this show got this brutal as far as violence goes. (Astrea Massacre) 

I might actually go and watch this series now...

OMG YES! Like it does start legit l8ght hearted and all that. But....fuck i can't remember which season it starts hittinf hard but end of 3rd season going into this season gets all sorts of heavy.

The story telling is phenomenal, i love the concept they use with all pathenons of deities combined with RPG party logic/stats and such. The world building, character development is the best. Hulu has the first 3 seasons but fuck if i know why they haven't put up S4 yet. And to my knowledge, Crunchyroll doesn't either becUse 1 friend of mine who usually simul-watches with me and gushes with me hasn't been able to watch it because of that. So i have nobody to gush with!

Fuck, the last few episodes of Stray Dogs have been quite the trip

Yosano, nooooooooo

:bawling: :crying:

Atsushi and the gang better wreck those Hunting Dogs :mad:

On 3/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, Tassifox said:

OMG YES! Like it does start legit l8ght hearted and all that. But....fuck i can't remember which season it starts hittinf hard but end of 3rd season going into this season gets all sorts of heavy.

The story telling is phenomenal, i love the concept they use with all pathenons of deities combined with RPG party logic/stats and such. The world building, character development is the best. Hulu has the first 3 seasons but fuck if i know why they haven't put up S4 yet. And to my knowledge, Crunchyroll doesn't either becUse 1 friend of mine who usually simul-watches with me and gushes with me hasn't been able to watch it because of that. So i have nobody to gush with!

I'm catching up with the series. I've been watching on Hidive I'm almost at the end of season 3 right now and season 4 might be exclusive to them since it does show them having it. I plan on being all caught up this weekend. If you want you can use my account, since I could just add a profile for you. 

I agree with you about this shows writing it's really well done. The title(although it makes sense...) and the first episode really don't do the show any favors though. 

• Shiny 1

I mean there are plenty of series where the title and beginning hide the gems that gets revealed the deeper you go. And ones that sound good but turn out meh or crap. 

There is also a spin off series where it's from Ais's pov and her famila. Also equally good.

Edit: forgot to mention thank you for the offer Eizen. So far anything that isn't on a streaming option i've been able to keep track with gogoanime. Shit is getting fucking GUUD this week!

So I've caught up on Danmachi and wow...the first half of Season 4 was good, but this second half has been nothing short of amazing. Especially the last 3 episodes.

Episode 21 of Season 4

Spoiler

I wasn't to fond of Bell until midway of Season 3 or mainly after he got his ass kicked by Asterius , but holy hell he's turned out to be a really enjoyable main character. Him using firebolt to cauterize his wound was crazy. 

I'm tempted to pick up the Light Novels, because I've read that Ais is a much better character in the LN's than the Show. Because at this point how could you support Ais & Bell instead of Ryuu? 

The voice actor for Ryuu has also done an incredible job with the emotions in the voice. 

• Shiny 1

Trigun, so good :nod:

:salute: Roberto

22 hours ago, Eizan said:

So I've caught up on Danmachi and wow...the first half of Season 4 was good, but this second half has been nothing short of amazing. Especially the last 3 episodes.

Episode 21 of Season 4

Hide contents

I wasn't to fond of Bell until midway of Season 3 or mainly after he got his ass kicked by Asterius , but holy hell he's turned out to be a really enjoyable main character. Him using firebolt to cauterize his wound was crazy. 

I'm tempted to pick up the Light Novels, because I've read that Ais is a much better character in the LN's than the Show. Because at this point how could you support Ais & Bell instead of Ryuu? 

The voice actor for Ryuu has also done an incredible job with the emotions in the voice. 

Riiiiiight?

Spoiler

I legit wasn't expecting so much character background or growth in Ryu like this. Like she always did have the air or "she's seen some shit" in order to have the tag name of "The Gale" but hawt fucking damn.

Bell went a little bit as expected in the earlier seasons. But i seriously fucking love how he's taking the lessons and skills he develops to fucking problem solve the way he has been and never just accepting that there's 2 ways to go. As Ryu is learning about him. I'm fucking dying to hear more backstory with his grandfather tho.

Between the various versions of manga, which i have some volumes of and the LN, i havent really been able to keep up both financially and time wise (i actually have accidentally bought doubles of 2 vol of manga because of this) so i had to give up.

To Your Eternity finished with just as much heart rendering feels as S1. But even though the ending left hardly any loose ends. S3 apparently is in production.

WHAT KIND OF EMOTIONAL ROLLAR COAST ARE THEY PLOTTING FOR A S3 AFTER A SATISFACTORY ENDING LIKE THAT!? :twitch2:

Revenger has built up to the big final episode that will be next week. Overall, the show has been pretty solid. I'm curious to see how it ends. Do we get a happy-ish ending or tragedy? Could go either way with how Raizo's character has developed.

Stray Dogs has been steadily very good the last few weeks too! I think there are two episodes left to go. I don't think they can resolve this story line in just two episodes. There are so many moving parts in this story. I guess there will be another season eventually. Maybe this season ends on a big cliffhanger.

The ending for Season 4 on Danmachi was fantastic. Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournment arc is one of my favorites and I re-watch it at least every 2-3 years, this is how I feel about the entirety of Season 4 it's one that I'll have to end up watching again. 

As for other anime's as much as I've enjoyed The Legend of Heroes anime, trying to pull a slow and heavy driven story of a JRPG series doesn't work well for a 12 episode anime. 

I've also really enjoyed a few other anime this season. MHA, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten, and Chillin in my 30s after getting fired from the Demon King's army...you know they should really fix some of the anime titles...

YuYu Hakusho is top tier stuff! :nod: (Well, until the messy ending...) I can re-watch it any time.

1 hour ago, Eizan said:

The ending for Season 4 on Danmachi was fantastic. Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournment arc is one of my favorites and I re-watch it at least every 2-3 years, this is how I feel about the entirety of Season 4 it's one that I'll have to end up watching again. 

As for other anime's as much as I've enjoyed The Legend of Heroes anime, trying to pull a slow and heavy driven story of a JRPG series doesn't work well for a 12 episode anime. 

I've also really enjoyed a few other anime this season. MHA, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten, and Chillin in my 30s after getting fired from the Demon King's army...you know they should really fix some of the anime titles...

Danmachi s4 ended really well.

Also i don't mind rhe long titles because honestly that's the english translation in the end from rhe Japanese titles that are technically shorter. Even regular literature occasionally has long titles or titles that aren't directly in synce with the content of their stories. That's why most anime gets abbreviated nicknames like Konosuba. 🤷‍♀️ 

I went and bought Vol 14(season 4), 15 and 16 of Danmachi. Going to see how vol. 14 compares to the anime and start reading what's next. 

Solid finish to Revenger! I really enjoyed this show overall. 

I knew straight away that the Doc would be the first to go down, though he pulled through in the end. Kind of tame for the Urobutcher, really. 

Bummer about the tiger… though it was a pretty clever way for Yuen to take care of it!

What a jump by Raizo to take out the other dude! :lol: 

It was so close to a happy-ish ending, but something had to happen to Raizo… and it did :-/ :salute: 

18 hours ago, dr. b said:

Solid finish to Revenger! I really enjoyed this show overall. 

Hide contents

I knew straight away that the Doc would be the first to go down, though he pulled through in the end. Kind of tame for the Urobutcher, really. 

Bummer about the tiger… though it was a pretty clever way for Yuen to take care of it!

What a jump by Raizo to take out the other dude! :lol: 

It was so close to a happy-ish ending, but something had to happen to Raizo… and it did :-/ :salute: 

Spoiler

I expected Raizo to die in the end. I just wish it wasn't a stupid rando char that was made a feeble attempt to "avenge" his team that felt super anti-climatic for a final fight tbh that did him in. Just tgat whole other Revenger team felt a little weak sauce when they were starting with a strong introduction. But that's really my only minor complaint. Good series overall. 

Ars No Kyujuu had a good ending for all but that last 3 seconds. Like wtf. (Unless rhey actually have a final episode next week but i was ptetty sure today was the last ep)

Buddy Daddies #11

Holy shit that got serious really fast

:rip: :crying:

15 hours ago, dr. b said:

Buddy Daddies #11

Reveal hidden contents

Holy shit that got serious really fast

:rip: :crying:

I was expecting that

Spoiler

Like Rei's pops is head of the fucking Mafia. Did they REAAAAAALLY think he was gonna just gonna let it be if the boys gave up Miri?
I also find their optimism of "we're giving up being hitman" entertaining since now we get to spend the last eps of them getting their asses beat up before the miraculous twist to save them happens and give a happy ending.

ALSO HOW THE FUCK CAN A 4YR OLD SLEEP THROUGH A GUN SHOT EVEN IF THE GUY HAD A SILENCER BECAUSE I'M PRETTY SURE KAZUKI DIDN'T HAVE ONE