Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hornet

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners

Finished watching this today. I started the season expecting very little, having hyped myself up for the videogame and found myself v.disappointed. 

It's a fun 1-seasoner... very kinetic and exciting. I liked it a lot.

It was Trigger through and through with the style and animation and I absolutely had a blast with it. I'm not really familiar with Cyberpunk beyond just general "cyberpunk" if that makes sense, so there were a few times I asked Lee about game lore or lingo.

My one big gripe is they absolutely butchered the subtitles, used machine translations or something and they were gibberish. I really liked the English cast, I'm just so used to watching with Japanese voices, but the subs were so fucked up I switched to dub.

5 hours ago, Anelle said:

My one big gripe is they absolutely butchered the subtitles, used machine translations or something and they were gibberish. I really liked the English cast, I'm just so used to watching with Japanese voices, but the subs were so fucked up I switched to dub.

I'm impressed you could actually read the damn things. I've had to infer what's going on half the time. Whatever genius decided to put pure white subtitles with now outline or anything on them in a show with non-stop high saturation neon lights needs to be slapped. 

Other than that the show is pretty good. I still have a coupe eps. left to get through. Does a 10x better job of introducing you to the world than the game opening ever did.

Never played the game so as a show I super enjoyed it. Story was well done and loved the music choices they did with it. Gave me traces of Gurren Laggan vibes in some ways.

I agree while I thought it was interesting how they did some of the subtitles with the telepathy tech or mental chip cell phones, whatever you wanna call it. The translations were shit.

One fun fact I didn't know about Cyberpunk is that it originally was a tabletop game before the video game. I was only aware of the videogame until one of my friends who watched it told me about that fact so it was interesting hearing his geeky bits about some of the full on details they did in inclusions with some of the characters.

Rebecca is best Cyberpunk lolita girl. Fight me.

Rebecca is cool, sure. But Dorio is best girl! *fight bell rings*

• Shiny 2

I started watching the first episode of this last night but I was kinda drunk and very tired and don't remember anything about it :lurk: :fup: I will try again another night.

I didn't really have a problem with the subs tbh. I'M BUILT DIFFERENT and just attributed the weird phrasing as being hacker cant. They're talking weird because they're future crims talking future crimes in argot.

I might be wrong, maybe the translation was just shit and I parsed it anyway.

I'm not talking about the slang, I'm talking about the entirely incorrect words, but yeah.

edit: lol apparently they fixed them, so if you didn't watch at launch then you got correct subtitles.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflixs-cyberpunk-edgerunners-has-fixed-its-messy-subtitles/1100-6507621/

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 9:09 AM, Anelle said:

Rebecca is cool, sure. But Dorio is best girl! *fight bell rings*

Ooooooh fair, BUT i'd probably still fight lol. 

11 hours ago, Anelle said:

I'm not talking about the slang, I'm talking about the entirely incorrect words, but yeah.

edit: lol apparently they fixed them, so if you didn't watch at launch then you got correct subtitles.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflixs-cyberpunk-edgerunners-has-fixed-its-messy-subtitles/1100-6507621/

Lmao broken product at launch. Sounds familiar

yeah, it's pretty on brand tbh

• Jizz lol 1

all my bitching aside though, I really did enjoy the dub cast! I'm enjoying the Japanese cast with the improved subtitles but this might just be a series where the English dub works better for me vibe wise, which is rare and fun

I think my only complaint past not  being able to even read the subtitles half the time isn't necessarily about the anime itself. Which is: Ifeel like they really squandered Adam Smasher in the game. Between the talking up he gets, and what you see of him in Edge Runners, I've been retroactively let down by the fight with him in the game. XD

I'm only up to ep. 8 and I'm loving the show. It nails the cyberpunk Genre and the setting perfectly.

• Shiny 1

Finally got around to starting this over the weekend. Finished it last night. Overall, I thought it was pretty solid. Trigger did a good job as always. Got the urge now to read Neuromancer again.

• Like 1