Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel (2022 Disney+) [SPOILERS]

I can't remember if I heard they changed how her powers work before this, kind of bummed it's not like the actual comic version, but then they'd have to re-introduce the Inhumans at some point, which I imagine they don't want to do after that show flopped.

I think there were rumors about it at some point, but I never saw anything confirmed that I recall.

Anyway, changing HOW she gets her powers I get, but completely changing her powers and how they work feels a little... weird. Think this is one of the only times where my initial reaction to one of these trailers has been (at least partial) disappointment. The rest of it felt pretty in line thematically with her comics though, so we'll see how it goes.

I wonder if the bracelet thing she's getting her powers from is going to be tied to whatever the deal is with the Ten Rings.

Someone in the reddit thread about it mentioned they could be related to the Nega Bands, which I vaguely remember. I think they have some sort of connection with Captain Marvel, or at least Mar-Vell?

Yeah, I think they original belonged to Mar-Vell. That's certainly a possibility. Might be taken the wrong way by people if they go that route though, since I believe her bracelet was supposed to have been passed down from her grandmother, and I thought was specifically a Muslim thing. Can't remember for sure though as its been a long time since I read the original issues of her comic. 

There may still be a way to swing it I guess, as it definitely looks like she finds it in an old trunk in her attic or something to that effect though.

For someone who's unkowledgeable of this particular comic. It looks cute. It looks fun. Should be good. 

Not a fan of the power change, but I'll give it a try.

I had a fun time with the first episode. Coming after watching this week's Obi-Wan, it was a nice change of pace. There's a mid-credits scene too, just a heads up.

I thought it was super cute for first ep! 

(Gonna copy paste what i said in discord because i just woke up and I can.)

Spoiler

I like the bits with the animation stuff. 

I felt super sad for her dad since 
1. He seems to be more of the supportive parent despite their culture of traditions. 
2. The fact that he was willing to Hulk up so she could go to Avenger Con, i would have playcated wearing the mini-Hulk costume and then co-erced him to letting me switch into Captain Marvel outfit. Like legit other fans would have ate that up of her dad being Hulk.

The fact that they both compramised a way for her to go, she should have taken it and then coulda pulled shenanigans there. 

I know that wasn't the point of where they were going with this but as a kid who had that trouble with my own dad kind of understanding my nerdiness and eventually being supportive of it? I kiiiiiinda wanted to slap the kid. Her brother went out of his way to help her get the parents okay with her going to the point of a compramise and i'm pretty sure her bestie would have agreed that had she could've taken the offer and then done something about the costume later. /stupidrant on that.

Also who called the other girl nerding out on her costume at the Con being that MeanGirl/NotMeanGirl from her school?

I look forward to seeing where this goes. 

I thought the power change was fine because it's the same basic kind of shit so far, just a different effect for it.  Also her powers I don't think are as important as her personality and shit (admittedly I haven't seen a lot of her in the comics yet but I did get her omnibus).

I like that episode.  Was fun.  Agree about it being sad she was such a dick to her dad though. :lol:  

Also spoiler tagging the topic!

• Like 1

Ep 2

Kamran new transfer student wastes no freaking time making the moves!

Awww awkward!

Her powers seem.......basic? That's not the word i wanna say but obviously it's gonna show stuff here soon enough. 

OOH! MYSTERIOUS GREAT GRANDMA MISSING! SHE'S IN THE BANGLE ISN'T SHE?!?!?

Wedding was adorable to watch hands down. 2 different cultures bonding and enjoying themselves. Lololol Brown Jovi. 

Kamala maybe flighty in some things, but i'm glad she seemed to at least attempt to process things slowly for a teenager level. She didn't just jump into wanting to help the Clandestines, even if she didn't fully get why yet. Learning about her family a bit and understanding she has support from those who love her, (even though she's pushing it away for their safety.) Kinda felt like the reveal of the Clandestines were actually bad guys seemed a bit rushed but i'm just gonna chalk it up to amount of episodes being limited. I mean we knew. Anyone who knows knows. But just felt tiny wee rushed. 

Dude they chose a good actress to play the bitchy female agent. Loved/hated her character in OITNB and she still plays a great asshole in here. 

Meant to post after this week's ep. 

So we have new allies, pretty sure the old guy didn't die there, if he did. Then damn that was a shorter lived character worthy of Sean Bean. 

Time travel! Whoo!

As soon as the last episode ended with her needing to go to Pakistan, I knew where this was going. They are REALLY condensing some of the comic storylines. Makes it feel a little rushed, but they are doing a great job of fitting everything together and making it work with the original material. All the thematic stuff is there and done even better in some cases. Can tell the people writing this really cared about what they were doing despite having to change things.

Only thing I miss is the just absolutely stupid, Ninja Turtle level villains she had to deal with multiple times throughout her early stuff. They had a certain charm that the show is missing out on with not using any of that material. I get it, but it still would have been nice if they could have fit one in somewhere. :rotfl: 

• ROFL 1

Aww I was hoping great grandma would have lived. Dammit Disney way to stay on trend for killing off parental figures.
Sooooo did he just get opposite powers to Kamala?
Dude, 2 parental figures offed in 1 ep. Even if she was a bad guy that's a new record for Disney I think.

Aisha's actress is fucking gorgeous, that was my main takeaway, lol.

• Like 1

Extreme spoiler for near the end of the episode...if you know, you know.

• Like 1

I was legit wondering about that.

Also wth was happening in that post credit scene? I actually had to rewind to see that it was the bangle that did that. 

Kamala and Captain Marvel may have switched places

• Shiny 1

Okay that would be cool too. It also kinda looked like Kamala got shape shifted to look like Cap Marvel

Turns out they wanted her to be a mutant in the comics too.

If I remember right, there was a resurgence in the Inhuman comics, since Marvel didn't own the film rights to mutants, they were gonna make the Inhumans into the MCU mutants (not calling them mutants, though).

Yeah, at first I thought she shape shifted since that was a thing that happened in the comics when she first got her powers, but based on her reactions it seemed more like the switched places. Will have to rewatch the scene though.

Also guess I was right on the rolling the Inhumans into the mutants thing. Even if they use the royal family again they could just make them a faction of mutants at this point. That artical tracks as they pushed the Inhuman thing HARD in the comics with the whole terrigen bomb thing and creating a ton of new ones (and killing off a shitload of mutants in the process) so they were definitely gearing up for that. Then they went and screwed up the Inhuman name too much for the MCU. With them having the mutants back anyway, it's the smart thing to do to just do a reversal on that. They're functionally the same thing anyway. 

Overall I absolutely loved the whole thing though. My misgivings were gone pretty early,  but they just kept showing time and again, that even though they had to change some pretty fundamental stuff, the source material stayed important. They adapted a LOT more of it than I thought, and improved on it in a number of ways. I'm interested in seeing more from this show runner and these writers for sure.

• Like 2

Woops forgot to post about it.  I really enjoyed the show (and so did Jovanna).  It was just...comfy TV really.  I haven't actually read the comics yet (I did buy some but haven't gotten to it), but she's just a fun character and her family around her really is just great.  I like that things start off a bit tense with how her parents are but when she really needs them, they really do deliver.  Definitely looking forward to more. :nod: