Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

Completed Games 2022

Not gonna post my 40ish game list from last year because that's too much but feel free to post your lists

1. :ps3: Infamous (Platinum)

Just had to beat Hard Mode once (did it in two days) and finish three stunts from the stunt list.

I only beat a handful of new (to me) games last year. Chasm was the cream of the crop — I really enjoyed it. Cosmic Star Heroine and TnT Rhythmic Adventure were great fun too. Still need to finish the second game from the Rhythmic Adventure Pack. 

I of course also completed a few runs through Final Fantasy V last year, as is tradition during the Fiesta. 

Then D2:R released in September and I haven’t played anything else since :lolgrin:

Only completed 23 games last year. All the online stuff I've been messing around with is definitely leaving its mark. 😧
Played a much higher concentration of PC games than I typically have in years past though. Probably partly due to finally building a new computer and having to spend way too much on a graphics card. >_>

1.) :pc: Halo: Reach (MCC)
Glad I didn't play this one first. Would have downright hated the way most of the rest played after this one. Story was actually interesting even though knowing how it ends kind of lessens the impact of characters dying and the writing wasn't good enough to make up the difference. Once again the vehicle sequences shine as the best parts of the game. Also YOU CAN FINALLY FUCKING SPRINT. Easily the most annoying part of the other games hands down. That takes care of all the Bungie-made games in the series. Time to see how I feel about the 343 ones. XD

• Like 1

Did 14 last year, I wonder if I can beat that this year.

1) :ps4: Uncharted: Lost Legacy

I started this game way back when it came out and never got around to beating it. I've been helping my partner dog sit all weekend, so I brought my PS5 and played through it all, from the beginning. If you've played any of the other Uncharted games, you know what to expect. I think it maybe took me 8 hours to beat it?

• Like 1

2.) :pc: Halo 4 (MCC)

I actually really enjoyed this one. Was actively engaged in continuing the game to find out what was going on instead of playing a mission here or there when I was bored or didn't have a lot of time. Was super impressed that it was using stuff that was talked about in the first game too until I looked it up and found out that all those cool little terminal collectible scenes weren't part of the original two games and were added later for the anniversary stuff by 343. :rotfl: 

Kind of pissed now though. I actually feel a little invested in the games at this point and now find out I can't actually play 5 at all since they never put it on PC (guess that one came out before Microsoft stopped being giant assholes about everything?) :rip: 

When I have some time I'll just watch a video or something before I move on and if I recall that was the one everyone hated anyway, so :shrug: 

1) :ps4: Uncharted: Lost Legacy

2) :pc: Spelunky 2

I've died so many times, getting so close to the end boss with lots of health and tons of bombs, only to die to something stupid. Tonight I was finally able to get to the boss with about 20 health and 70-ish bombs. So glad to finally say i've beaten this game.

2. :switch: :n64: Star Fox 64

Beat every level once, gonna save a more serious playthrough for something that controls better. The C-Buttons mapped to the right stick makes for cockpit view changes half the time when executing a loop-de-loop or a direction change. Also it feels like everything dies really, really quickly from rapid-fire compared to my memory of the N64 version.

Still love the voice acting and the game itself.

3.) :ps5: Haven

This was a great, chill sort of game. Excellent co-op experience but plays well solo also. It has combat in it, but it kind of takes a backseat to the exploration and relationship of the two characters (you even get more experience from conversations  than from the combat). Story was interesting, though the two endings you can get were both depressing in their own way. Was a great experience all around imo.

1. :pc: Halo Infinite

Surprisingly fun campaign.  The story is pretty much the usual Halo fare though I did find some aspects of it (specifically the Cortana stuff) legitimately interesting.  I'm not sure if there's context missing because I didn't play Halo 5 or if they designed the game in that way, but the mystery there was intriguing for me.  Also the grapple hook is probably the best thing to happen to Halo.  I fucking loved that shit.  Some of the game outlets were a little ridiculous calling it like the best game / Halo ever or whatever kind of shit but it's definitely better than Halo 5 and I kind of enjoyed the open world.  It was fun to have a little control over how I approached missions....like hovering out of range from the target enemies and needling their health down with the USMC hover copter thing. :rotfl:

3. :ps3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Platinum)

A quick playthrough on Crushing to pop the Platinum Trophy (and I beat the last boss without dying for another one).

Game is sooooo clunky.

4.) :pc: Greak: Memories of Azur

Light little (I guess) metroidvania style game. Nothing super complicated to it, but some fun puzzles here and there that require the use of 2-3 different characters. Story was pretty typical fantasy faire with nothing to really show for itself, but it was fun to play just as a change of pace from the stuff I more typically play through. Didn't overstay its welcome.

3. :ps3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Platinum)

4. :switch: :Genesis: MUSHA

Way too much going on screen for my reflexes and it feels like it's not worth playing without a mostly upgraded ship. Really pretty for a Genesis game and lots of things exploding, though

1. :ps2: Shadow Hearts

Such an awesome JRPG.  Elements of it are a bit basic, but the plot is generally enjoyable and the battle system is top notch.  Mostly because of the Judgment Ring system.  It's kind of similar to Lost Odyssey's battle system.

I think some time this summer I'm gonna try to order Shadow Hearts: Covenant.  That game has hella good reviews and I remember it being PSM's game of the year when it came out

I have a friend who loved the Shadow Hearts series. #2 is most peoples favorite.

:pc: Alan Wake

The sequel announcement made me realize I'd never actually gotten around to playing this game... so I bought it during the steam holiday sale, forgot about it for a few weeks, and then played the whole thing (minus DLC) yesterday. I realize there is a remastered version out there, but the original was like 7 bucks and I still don't have an Epic games account because I'm petty and am putting it off as long as I possibly can (but I guess I gotta when 2 comes out.)

It was mostly fun, felt like the big ass love letter to Stephen King works that I'd always heard it was. Frustratingly bad controls and combat though, holy shit. I would rather get punched in the chest than replay the last chapter ever again. I'd rather add another week to my period. I'd rather fall down a small set of stairs. I'd rather jam a couple of toes. Point is, it was a terrible slog and it made me mad. Rest of the game was reasonably fun though!

• ROFL 1

The DLC bits are probably some of the best parts of the game. I don't recall them being terribly hard either, so give them a go if you have them. The stand alone thing, Alan Wakes American Nightmare is also really good. Controls feel better (though combat is still basically the same thing) and it felt a little more arcade-y and not as frustrating. Also short so the combat doesn't outstay its welcome like the main game. XD

Remedy has DEFINITELY evolved their combat since then though. Quantum Break was a massive step forward for them, and then Control refined that even further. Their shooting is still a little floaty, but Control made up for that in other areas.

Yeah, I plan on tackling the DLC soon I was just so fucking done with the game after chapter 6 even though I've heard great things about the DLC before. The credits rolled and I closed that shit and looked at the icon on my desktop like "how fucking dare you"

Game is all "try Nightmare mode to get all the manuscript pages!" how about fuck yourself, I have Google.

No joke there. No fucking way I was playing that on Nightmare difficulty. I googled the shit out of the manuscript pages I wasn't allowed to collect. XD

1) :ps4: Uncharted: Lost Legacy

2) :pc: Spelunky 2

3) :pc: Portal 2

Saw someone do a speedrun of Portal 2 back at this year's Games Done Quick stream, got the itch to play through it again. Still a lot of fun. 

5.) :pc: Lost Words: Beyond the Page

Pretty standard "Indie game with depressing story" sort of thing. Some interesting gameplay, but not really any challenge to it so it was almost a 2D walking simulator with light platforming. Still a nice experience with unique storytelling. Was written by Terry Pratchett's daughter. Glad I grabbed it on a sale though all things considered. Not a lot of replay value to it.

6.) :ps4: Life is Strange 2

Fuck me this game was extremely emotionally draining. It was good. At least as good as the first one (though in a different way), but way more depressing overall. Even in the more upbeat parts you could just tell something was going to go south eventually and completely fuck everything up. The end of a couple of the episodes left me pretty speechless. Would have sucked playing each one as it came out. Glad they're not doing that anymore.

Looking forward to playing the new one eventually. They really know how to get a person right in the feels and I'm sure the next one is no exception.

My life as an archeologist 

TD Worlds

Vampire Survivor

Just a couple of indy games that were pretty fun and all like under $5

3. :ps4: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Platinum)

5. :ps3: Infamous 2 (Platinum)

Quick hard-mode playthrough to pop the platinum. Except for all the water (especially in the north section of New Marais), this game is probably better than the first.

Might actually try and do this this year, though my list might be smaller than some! :P

1: :ps4: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
2: :ps4: Firewatch

Not full platinum playthroughs, but two nice short games I've never played before and completed during a week off. Both were pretty enjoyable and I'll almost certainly replay Firewatch for details I've missed/the director's commentary run!

6. :ps4: Uncharted 3 (Platinum)

Had to beat it on crushing and clean up a few extra trophies. I hated this game originally (just not as good as 2 in every sense) but I hate it a little less now. The set-pieces were creative and some of the gunplay is pretty fun.

• Like 1

7. :switch: :Genesis: Strider

I liked the sword swinging and giant sprites, was NOT a fan of the jumping. I beat it with Save States because things started turning to old-school arcade bullshit later on.

• Like 1

7.) :pc: Halo: Infinite

Kind of mixed bag here. The story starts off obnoxious as hell, and it feels like 90% of the campaign is just there to fill in the time gap where what felt like what could have just been an entire other game happened. 5% of what's left is the whiney normal soldier guy you're stuck with yelling about how they need to GTFO and the last 5% is listening to Darin DePaul as the main(ish) villain monologuing the rest of the story. It only got super interesting at the end when the other main(ish) villain does some cryptic shit that leaves the game on a cliffhanger (as usual). I spent a good few hours confused about who the bad guys were because I didn't play the RTS games I guess? 

Gameplay was stellar. Weapons were fun and interesting and the inclusion of the grappling hook ability was excellent, though it made literally every other ability useless and not worth upgrading. As such, the attempted open world side of the game kind of falls flat since there's no need to seek out more cores to upgrade other stuff because you have everything you need in like 3 hours worth of time. Unfortunate because the open world exploration was actually kind of fun to dick around with though it was a bit to "by the numbers" Ubisoft style for me. Attack and capture enemy stronghold > reveal things nearby on the map > get things > repeat.

I'm wholly convinced at this point that Halo is just Xbox Kingdom Hearts. New race or faction of enemy what feels like every game. 8 side games/movies/whatever that all end up being important to the main story to varying degrees and you'll be completely lost half the time if you didn't at least read a synopsis on them.

Also super annoyed that they never fully resolved stuff with the Flood like 4 games ago only to find out they did. Kind of? In another side game. :rip: 

4) :pc: Death's Door

If you love Zelda games, you need to check this game out. It's a lot of fun, the bosses can be a bit annoying though. My only real major complaint is there's no map, so it's INCREDIBLY easy to get lost. There's also a secret ending which I haven't got just yet, but I am working on. If you've got PC Game Pass, it's on there (not sure about XBox).

😎 :switch: Metroid Dread (Dread Mode)

Clear Time: 04:23:10

Total Play Time: 09:52:51

Items: 26%

Energy: 699

Missiles: 85

Power Bombs: 2

Deaths: 408

Total Damage: 235,127

Bosses Defeated: 30

Saves: 70

8. :switch: Metroid Dread (Dread Mode)

9. :ps3: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (Platinum)

Pretty easy platinum, pretty impressive as a fan-service anime game. Weird timing too considering the re-release coming in the not too distant future.

5) :pc: Tunic

Fun Zelda-like game with a bit of Dark Souls influence thrown in there. Things like having stamina affect how much you can run and swing your sword before running out, and going back to find your body after you've died to recover the money you lost. You don't lose all of it like in Souls games, though. At a certain point I was more interested in the story than the gameplay itself, and turned on their no fail mode to just see how it all turns out. I apparently got the bad ending, and the way to get the good ending is something I don't care to bother with, so I just read about it instead.

1. Pokemon Arceus :switch:

2. Ara Fell :switch: 

3. Ghost Sync :ps5: (Platinum) 

Not sure, but I've haven't play much outside of these simple Kemco/RPG Maker games. Nothing great about them, but nothing really bad. 

All I play these days is Diablo 2. Been like this going on… 8 or 9 months now? Wow :lolgrin: :lurk:

8.) :ps5: Sifu

WAY too many games came out all at once and I can't decide what I want to play half the time. Sifu was the first of them but Jesus was it fucking hard (for me at least). I made it to a little over 3/5 of the way through the game but the 4th stage was just beating my ass, and the boss is cheap as fuck. Put it down once Elden Ring and Witch Queen came out and hadn't gone back to it until this week. They did a big update and added difficulty modes (one easier, one harder) and I was finally able to get through the rest of the game. The getting older each time you die thing is interesting. Really fun combat. It never felt unfair and was really fluid. I've just always been terrible with stuff that relies heavily on dodging and parrying with precision. Story was interesting if relatively simple. Has some decent replayability with learning the level layouts and fights, finding all the collectibles, and trying to get through stages at the youngest age you can. Going through again to get the other ending now since I feel like I won't have to fight it every inch of the way now.

10. :switch: Kirby and the Forgotten Land/100%

10/10 Kirby game, definitive 3D Kirby game, low-key Mario Odyssey expansion pack with Sonic Adventure's storyline, fucking loved this game.

• Shiny 1

15 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

10/10 Kirby game, definitive 3D Kirby game, low-key Mario Odyssey expansion pack with Sonic Adventure's storyline, fucking loved this game.

thanks for guaranteeing my future purchase :nod:

1. :pc: Halo Infinite

2. :pc: Elden Ring

This shit was super fun.  I haven't played much in the way of Souls games (just a few hours here or there) but I ended this at 100+ hours and really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Spoiler

Went for Ranni's ending

I pretty much killed every boss I could find before I went for the last boss.  There might be a few bullshit ones scattered but ye.  I really enjoyed it.  I am not surprised by how popular this game is.  I feel like it was a lot more accessible than past games (and also the fact fucking everyone was playing it made it more fun).

1. :ps2: Shadow Hearts

2. :snes: Earthbound

3. :switch: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Finished Earthbound a couple weeks ago.  I popped it on and started a new game to bullshit around for like an hour one day, and that turned into squeezing in an hour each day between school and doing homework for the last few weeks of finals.  I only got to the part where you recruit Poo in my last playthrough, so this is the first time I've actually beaten it.  I cheesed out some heavy grinding in the factory beneath Threed and that carried me through most of the game.  Didn't get the Sword of Kings because I only checked the guide after after leaving somewhere to make sure I didn't miss anything, and it's missable.  Awesome game.  A bit easier than I remembered (probably cause grinding), but everything about it is lovely.  Might try at beating Mother 3 again this summer.

Paper Mario: TOK was amazing.  Top to bottom I was enamored.  I got this game the first week of the semester and I'm pretty sure it's the reason I started on such a bad foot, because I couldn't stop playing the damn thing.  So I put it down until the semester was over to finish and 100% it this week.

The combat ring system felt much more like a JRPG battle system, while still doing something fresh and different.  It was frustrating at times, but usually rewarding.  The way they flipped it for boss fights was ingenious, and those were always a blast to play.

The aesthetics were gorgeous.  The flat paper against paper-mache and origami backgrounds always felt so immersive, and it was just a treat to walk through the different locales.  I absolutely LOOOOOVED the soundtrack right out of the gate.  And jist the ways they manipulated the concept of paper and origami for environment, mechanics, boss and enemy design, and everything, it all just came together beautifully.

The story was also one of the most touching and surprisingly serious of any Mario game I've played.  Some legit heartbreaking moments all around, with the seemingly silly threat of being folded into origami actually being a lot creepier than you'd think.  That said, this game also had some of the best, legit LOL humor in a game, and it was really easy to fall in love with the characters.

That said, my main gripes with the game are the lack of in-field abilities to solve puzzles and find secrets, and the lack of a true party mechanic.  The few party members you get are temporary and with one exception, specific to certain areas.  Only one of them has any abilities that help you advance or find secrets, and other than the last one, they're pretty useless in battle.  I would have loved something closer to the first two.  But thankfully, the game was so good that it never fully ruined the game for me.  Just made my love boner a half chub occasionally.

6) :pc: Rogue Legacy 2

If you've played the first game, it's more of that, and not in a bad way. There's six areas now instead of four, and apparently there's a bunch of enemies I never fought, so I assume they just show up in new game plus mode. Gonna put this game down for a bit, and maybe come back to it later. I had a lot of fun.

• Like 1

9.) :ps5: Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong

Made by the same company that made 'The Council', it's a narrative RPG that plays out something like a Telltale game, or something like Detroit: Become Human but with legit RPG style stats that effect how successful options while talking may be and important conversations kind of play out like a battle. Lots of adventure game style puzzles as well that were pretty well done. Overall a better comparison is probably Disco Elysium, but nowhere near as much depth as that game had.

It's a smaller studio, so the character animations are a bit janky and character models leave something to be desired, but it isn't quite as "uncanny valley" inducing as The Council had been. Some decent replay value as well as some choices definitely take things in pretty different directions by the end. Had a lot of fun playing it. Probably going to go for the Platinum since it doesn't seem too bad overall to do and can skip dialogue if I've seen it already now that I beat it once.

The Perfect Tower 2

I guess technically I have beat the game. There are a couple of things I haven't 100% completed, but it's good enough for me. It is a fun little idle game if you are willing to leave it running on your computer 😛

Spirit Hunters: Infinite Horde

This is the new game that I am playing. 

4. :ps4: Star Ocean First Departure R 

Pretty short game, but it's a fun game. I really wish they would do Star Ocean 2 like this. 

• Love 1

Fantastic

11. :switch: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards/100%

Never played this one before. It was fine. The levels and mechanics were solid, the power-mixing was sorta cool (bomb shuriken by far the best weapon) but I also didn't have patience for trying to figure out what specific power combination (that you couldn't select from an easy menu or an easy weapon armory area) would open up the coloured containers or walls that hid Crystal Shards in them, so I also just used guides.

7) :pc: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

Went thru the whole game with web and Kyle, it's so much fun. I wonder which one of us is gonna play as Casey next time, lol.

55 minutes ago, MT said:

7) :pc: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

Went thru the whole game with web and Kyle, it's so much fun. I wonder which one of us is gonna play as Casey next time, lol.

Let me know if you guys want to try to beat Arcade Mode on Gnarly :lurk:

Mondays and Tuesdays are my days off, I go to bed around 2 AM every day.

10.) :pc: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

As MT said, I played it through with her and web. Was a hell of a nostalgia trip. Fun little game though. Wouldn't mind playing it with others doing various shit in it whenever. Nice distraction from the other stuff I'm playing.

On 6/9/2022 at 1:20 PM, Eizan said:

4. :ps4: Star Ocean First Departure R 

Pretty short game, but it's a fun game. I really wish they would do Star Ocean 2 like this. 

Hey! I beat the same game. I have very similar thoughts that I just want to play Star Ocean 2 now 😅

11. :switch: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards/100%

12. :ps4: TMNT Shredder's Revenge (Platinum)

What a great retro style turtles game. Casey is OP as fuck and fun to play as, loved all the nods to the old games and series,  SURFS UP IN THE CITYYYYYY. Overall, they effing nailed it

I want to get that Turtles game…