Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

Spy X Family

Ch. 55

Spoiler

These last couple chapters really delivered in getting Loid and Anya involved.  It's awesome to think that Anya really did save the day in the little, but crucial ways she helped out.  I also love her disguise.

Part of me is wondering if this is maybe drawing close to an end with Loid and Yor getting closer to their actual feelings.  I can't help but feel there's not a lot of meat left if they admit their feelings to each other(and their selves).  But then again, maybe there could be a lot of fun and tension in them moving into openly wanting to be a family while trying to keep their professional lives secret.

Either way, I'm excited for the next arc

• Like 1

• Shiny 1

Chapter 55 was good :nod: I also wonder if we're approaching an ending. It would be somewhat bittersweet if the manga ends soon-ish, but at the same time I usually prefer to be left wanting more rather than to tire of something that goes on too long.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dr. b said:

Chapter 55 was good :nod: I also wonder if we're approaching an ending. It would be somewhat bittersweet if the manga ends soon-ish, but at the same time I usually prefer to be left wanting more rather than to tire of something that goes on too long.

Yeah, and as much as I could read the daily hijinx stuff for ages, there's a consistent trajectory of character development that necessitates a somewhat finite ending.  So yeah, if they can drag it out and be engaging, I definitely won't complain.  But I'll take a great story that knows where to end over a Death Note situation any day.

#56 — a good, fun chapter :nod:

I love the contrast between Loid and Yor on the zip line thing

:lol:

• ROFL 1

Spoiler

I also enjoyed the immediate juxtaposition of Yor pedaling the bike like mad.  This was a nice, wholesome cooldown chapter that was needed after the last few.  Really good way to cap things off with the Forgers all getting to spend time together.

Only bummer is the app says the next chapter comes in 26 days T_T

Spoiler

Short, but sweet chapter.  I was hoping for a little more after the big break, but it was fun to get back to Anya in school with her classmates.  Some of those facial expressions she was making was killing me.  Also loved the end where the three biggest liars are trying to convince Anya that lying is wrong...which they seemingly pulled off for the wrong reasons :rotfl:

Shorter than I would like, but #57 was great :rotfl:

Merch is starting to show up in US stores with the anime coming up and I'm just vibrating hoping for Spy x Family nendoroids :shiny:

58.1 and 58.2 were solid chapters. Bond is a champ :shiny: 

BOND IS SUCH A GOOD BOY

Chapter #59 was really good! Several :lol: moments. 

World class chefs! World class chefs!

Very cute and funny chapter!

Spoiler

I love how Anya actually thought it over and was like oh shit this could be awesome :rotfl: Just a really wholesomely funny look at kids being kids....and Yor being dense as hell lmao 

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember this gal from anywhere—but she’s not a new character, is she..?

I like to see Franky getting a little spotlight here. He’s a good comic relief character, but clearly he can take care of business too.

Their disguise was fantastic :rotfl:

Spoiler

She's that agent that is obsessively in love with Loid! She did that tennis tournament with him 

34 minutes ago, Anelle said:

Hide contents

She's that agent that is obsessively in love with Loid! She did that tennis tournament with him 

Unfortunately that’s not ringing a bell for me. My brain has lots of holes in it :rotfl: Good thing the anime is coming up this spring—hopefully it will help jog my memory. 

edit: it’s probably because I was late to the Spy x Family appreciation party, so I binge-read a big chunk of it to get caught up. It’s easy for me to forget things when I do that. 

Spoiler

God this series always gets some laughs out of me but nothing makes me laugh harder than when it focuses on the kids. They're all adorable and hilarious. 

Anya thinking she's magically prepared and realizing that's not how it works got me good. Her face after the kibble fell out....god I cannot wait for the anime. It's gonna be so good!

Hang in there Loid :rotfl: she really is advancing in the mission!

• Shiny 1

27 minutes ago, Anelle said:

Reveal hidden contents

God this series always gets some laughs out of me but nothing makes me laugh harder than when it focuses on the kids. They're all adorable and hilarious. 

Anya thinking she's magically prepared and realizing that's not how it works got me good. Her face after the kibble fell out....god I cannot wait for the anime. It's gonna be so good!

I was feeling very skeptical when this new hard-ass teacher character was being introduced. Kinda lame and predictable imo

:| But the kids saved this chapter for sure. Anya’s face when Bond’s kibble falls out of her bag killed me :rotfl: Everything about Anya is delightful.

12 hours ago, Anelle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Screenshot_20220307-062328.png

Yup, that's the one :rotfl: 

The sad part: New chapter coming in 28 days 

I don't wanna wait that long :-/ 

I saw that.  Made me very sad.

I loved all the chapters.  I echo pretty much everything said.  The last three were independent but really fun and enjoyable.  This most recent one is the perfect example of how great the chapters about the kids at school are.  I'm literally the same as Anelle where some of those facial expressions and moments just about have me falling out of my chair, and not a lot of manga does that for me.  It's just always so charming.

update on the anime! 2 cour starting in april!!!

• Shiny 1

Oh that's all exciting!  Not only will it have a chunky run to start, but it's gonna be here in a month!  After the Chainsaw Man wait that's still ongoing, I was not expecting it this quick.

I wonder if they're going to animate the side missions?  The early long ones(similar to the recent Bond one) were some wonderful character development moments that I think deserve to be animated.  I still get tickled thinking about the one where they go to the zoo.

Exciting! I didn't know Wit Studio was working on this. They've done some great work recently on Ousama Ranking and Vivy. I hope to see more good stuff from them in Spy x Family.

re: the Side Missions: It would be cool if they work them in as little features at the ends of some episodes, sort of like the 'Juju Stroll' segment at the end of Jujutsu Kaisen episodes. 

11 minutes ago, dr. b said:

Exciting! I didn't know Wit Studio was working on this. They've done some great work recently on Ousama Ranking and Vivy. I hope to see more good stuff from them in Spy x Family.

re: the Side Missions: It would be cool if they work them in as little features at the ends of some episodes, sort of like the 'Juju Stroll' segment at the end of Jujutsu Kaisen episodes. 

That would be perfect for the short 5-page ones.  Like the recent one about Bondman.

62.1?

Spoiler

The Jump app says it's 62.1, but the actual chapter just says 62, and even though it's backstory, it seems pretty important, so I think it's officially 62 and they just messed up on the app?

Any way, this was really cool to finally get a glimpse of Twilight before he became Twilight.  It's also really interesting seeing the emotional layers here.  Because on one hand, his dad is right that he shouldn't be worrying about war and just seeing the other side as devil's(did we learn nothing from SnK?), but also slapping your kid to teach that is a no-no.  On top of that, Ostania DID attack.  I assume this continues next chapter and we get more of a peek into Twilight's motivations.  And we only have to wait the normal two weeks!

62.1? (keeping this as the chapter number because it confused me too)

Spoiler

It was really unexpected but such a treat to see such a big glimpse in to his history!!! Does this mean we get some more Yor lore (huehuehuehuehue) next?

62(.1?)

Cool look back at a young Twilight. The political element inside this story is especially interesting, and kinda sad, in light of what is happening in the world right now…

Ep 1 was solid! Can't wait for more! It's so great to see this animated at last :O

I did reax because why not

Spoiler

-Oh my god this FUCKING MUSIC

-Can we talk about how cold it is to just break up and walk out right as someone else is getting proposed to :rotfl:

-Also, double lol that he breaks up with chick JUST BEFORE A MISSION WHERE HE NEEDS TO GET MARRIED.  Classic Twilight.

-Manga spoiler just in case someone new reads this

Spoiler

Holy shit, with the last chapter, it just dawned on me that Twilight was given a mission that basically asks him to recreate fatherhood after he obviously had a very weird, tenuous, probably toxic relationship with his father.  Potentially right before he died.  There's all sorts of twisted up feelings in it.  And now, the tables have turned and he's forcing Anya to do good in school when she just wants to have fun and play spy...just like he wanted to play soldier.  Of course, Anya gets it and Twilight clearly has paternal feelings for her, but it's crazy how well that shit was set up now that we've peeled behind the curtain a bit.

-OMG SHE'S SO CUTE IN MOTION.  When she said 'Papa' my heart melted

-I gotta say they picked great voice actors so far.  The Franky voice is almost exactly how I pictured it.

-Her faces

-I'm not crying, you're crying.  God, why am I so weepy during anime these days lol

-Holy shit, I don't know if this is supposed to be the OP or the ED, but I love it

-Yup, this all lived up to the hype and made me fall in love all over again.  What a treat.  I'm excited to get Yor into the picture and start getting to the antics with the children.  I feel those episodes are going to be a blast.

• Shiny 1

I was afraid if I reacted I'd blab a little too much for any newcomers but going forward I might try and see if I can keep myself in check enough to do them too because they're so much fun to read and do every week when we're all watching stuff :shiny:

• Shiny 1

Great first episode! Anya is even better animated :rotfl:

I’m watching this with my daughter. She thinks it is great too. 

• Like 1

DAUGHTER ANYA COSPLAY WHEN

That seems like a lot of work :rotfl:

BUT THINK OF THE CUTE

I 2nd cosplay shenanigans. Child cosplay FTW!

Just caught up and watched ep 1 today. I can't wait to see what 'Mama' is gonna be like. (I don't mind reading manga spoilers because I'll never get around to reading it fyi).
ANYAAAAAAAAA~~~~~~~<3

• Shiny 1

The cosplay ain't happenin' :rotfl: 

you can't blame us for trying!

Didn’t get around to watching the second episode yet, but…

Chapter 62.2 :rip:

Damn that was kinda depressing. Very well done and all that, and seeing Loid’s childhood experience is very interesting, but also a bit of a downer. Nice to see Franky make an appearance at the end. I think that means the next chapter will be a bit more light-hearted again.

Man.... my BIL lit up a cigarette at Easter so I had to duck inside (smoke allergy) and I was like oh, now's a perfect time to read a bit of manga, think I'll start with Spy X Family!

chapter 62.2

Spoiler

I went in forgetting where we'd left off, so I had "what's today's hijinks" expectations instead of feels, oops. There was a lot packed in there, his "ill-gotten" helmet potentially saving his life, the childlike confusion about the festival, the air raid, his first fake persona was to enlist.... very well done and very impactful! I'd like to learn a lil more about Franky next time now that we're seeing them meet!

Anime ep 2 was good!

Spoiler

It was fun to see/hear Yor in action! I'm basically just eagerly waiting for more at this stage, things are barely getting started! I have no idea why I spoilered this but I did so hi

Yeah we watched the second anime episode tonight. It was great! Kiddo already thinks Yor I’d the coolest. The OP is delightful :thumbs:

I agree the new OP is great.  I'm more into the animations than the song itself.  I like the ED a more, but they're both quality.

I've successfully gotten both my partners into the Spy x Family anime and they are in love.  I'm curious if I can convince them to read the manga.

Speaking of which, Chapter 62.2

Spoiler

I'm guessing Franky is who got him into the spy business.  It's really cool to see their relationship goes that far back, and with him possibly being the reason his heart began to open up again.  I had assumed they met through the spy business, but he's clearly just your run-of-the-mill soldier here.

Anya totes knows how to work humans even if she doesn't fully know that herself yet. She's gonna be a dangerous teenager. :sweat:

god this anime is such a treat

ep 3

Spoiler

the voice acting for the "people look like trash from up here" scene was perfect. Low key delivery makes it all the funnier :rotfl: Reminds me of spending time with my niblings

small manga talk so i'll EXTRA SPOILER

Spoiler

Loid's face as he watches the kids hang out on the stoop hits extra hard now. ALSO I'M FUCKIN' SORRY WHAT I JUST CHECKED THE JUMP APP TO SEE IF THIS WAS AN OFF WEEK AND IT SAYS 22 DAYS TIL NEXT CHAPTER WHAT I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT BEFORE YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME NOOOOOOOOOOOO

FUCK YEAH FAMILY GOIN' APESHIT

FUCK YEAH FAMILY COMIN' TOGETHER AS A REAL UNIT

the ending animation and song are so nice, i love watching them all dance together T_T my heaaaaaaaart

AHAHAHAHAHA THE END CARD IS PERFECT

• Shiny 1

I don't think I can say anything you didn't.  Literally everything, right out of my mouth.  I said this before, but it really is like falling in love with the series all over again.

Anya seriously can't stop being cute. I love how she's slowly finding new ways to use her ability without outing herself.

Another great episode, and, yeah

that one seemingly innocent scene Anelle mentioned means so much more for readers of the manga :rip: 

THIS EP WAS GOOD THIS SERIES IS GOOD I AM WELL FED WITH SPY X FAMILY CONTENT THIS DAY YES

• Shiny 2

So much of that made me laugh.

Spoiler

"Who let those animals out, isn't that a bit much?"
".......we thought that was your call sir...."
".........................................FUCK"

• ROFL 1