Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dr. b

What listen ?

I just discovered this dude Donny Benét today. 

It's a kinda goofy take on 80's pop and disco. Pretty incredible stuff. The bass line on "Mr Experience" :shiny:

I'm gonna take a deep dive into his albums on Spotify over the weekend. 

Bringing the '80s back is fine by me, guys

• Like 1

Donny Benét's song "Konichiwa" was apparently included on a playlist The Weeknd put out earlier this year showcasing the music that inspired the After Hours album :thumbs:

• Like 1

Enjoying me some Grand Funk lately. This is a fun bassline to jam along to:

:thumbs:

His sons are all very talented too. Chris Brubeck on bass is fantastic:

• Shiny 1

I'm in an 80s mood today :music:

• Like 1

i've been singing this a lot lately.

Needed to chill out the other day after everyone was in bed and remembered about this album my older brother had when we were growing up. 

Still on my 80s kick 

• Like 1

Heard this on the radio the other day, got a real throwback 80s feel to it.

RIP Chick Corea :salute: He was an incredible player and composer

Been spinning The Flaming Lips' latest album (American Head) this week. To my ears, a lot of their output since The Soft Bulletin (which is already 22 years old this spring! :O.O:) has sounded kinda same-y. More keys and synths, less guitar, more pop oriented song stylings and less rocking (with the exception of Embyonic). My ultimate Lips lineup was in the mid '90s. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic are two of my favourite albums ever. It took me years to come around to The Soft Bulletin and the other albums since then, but even then I don't really enjoy all the songs and I still like '90s guitar-rock Lips best... But there are some pretty good songs on American Head. Gotta give it a few more listens yet to really form a final opinion.

On a big Pixies kick this week. I wore their albums out in high school / college. It's been years since I last listened to them because of how much I over-listened to them years ago. Really enjoying hearing these songs again now though :music:

Not sure if any of you know about the Terminal Passage Youtube channel(I kind of feel like birdy might know it), but it's some person/collective/whatever that uploads obscure records usually somewhere in the jazz/funk/prog spectrum, and they're doing an incredible service for what's probably a pretty niche crowd.  But I am one of those people it caters to and it's incredible some of the things I found on there.  I discovered Cedar Walton's Mobius on there, and it was incredible the whole way through.  But "Soho" in particular hit me strong.  The intro feels so unassuming, and then the groove that takes over a minute in is just so tasty.  That main lick alone is awesome, let alone the soloing that follows up.

3 hours ago, little birdy said:

On a big Pixies kick this week. I wore their albums out in high school / college. It's been years since I last listened to them because of how much I over-listened to them years ago. Really enjoying hearing these songs again now though :music:

I always meant to listen to more Pixies.  I think I have to find the right avenue to dig into them, because the song of there's that really resonates with me is "Bone Machine", and I don't really find that super indicative of the rest of their music from the bits of dabbling I've done before. I dig the sound of this, though.

If you like “Bone Machine” then start with their earlier material. Come On Pilgrim EP and then Surfer Rosa. 

I don’t think I’m familiar with that YouTube channel but I’ll check it out!

For a week now, it's been a whole lot of Echo and the Bunnymen in my rotation:

But also some fusion jazz mixed in too:

• Like 1

Never get tired of listening to Headhunters.

I have recently been digging into some D'Angelo after someone in one of my music classes had been going on about how good he is.  And I have to admit, the man does some cool stuff with vocals harmonies.

One of the worlds greatest session bass players - Pino Palladino - has done quite a bit of work with D'Angelo. I guess I've only really listened to D'Angelo's stuff for the purpose of listening to Pino's bass work, which seems kinda unfair now that I think about it... I guess I should look up D'Angelo on Spotify and really see what his music is about.

I just remembered you recommended those Pixies albums to me, and I popped on Come On Pilgrim and forgot I really enjoy "Caribou"

Also, as a person who normally thinks of vocals as secondary, I don't blame you for listening to D'Angelo for the basslines :lol:

Yeah, I guess I'm the same. There are very few bands/singers where I actively listen to the vocal tracks. I'm usually just focused on the music.

As for Pixies, I was thinking a bit more about that. Many of the great Pixies songs make pretty heavy use of the loud/quiet/loud (or vice versa) dynamic. Basically the style that Kurt Cobain was going for when he wrote "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I could think up some song recommendations along those lines if my brain would cooperate with me... it's been a stupid day at work :rip: 

Just found this gem at my work.  I copped it quick

PXL_20210612_170117703.jpg

I also picked up some Ohio Players, Isley Brothers, DJ Shadow, De La Soul, Frank Zappa, and some Classical stuff, but that was the prized possession of the day

I've been listening to a bunch of Tribal Tech the last few days. Gary Willis is an incredible bass player. I only own/play 4 string basses, but listening to him more has got me seriously considering picked up a 5'er to try to learn some of his lines...

I’m going to be on a heavy pillows kick for at least a few more days. Feeling pretty nostalgic tonight…

• Like 1

Carnival is one of my fave Pillows songs ever, love it

I'm also in a nostalgic mood after a friend reminded me of my favourite New Radicals song...

“Carnival” is my #1 favourite pillows song for sure :thumbs:

• Like 1

Foo Fighters/Dee Gees - You Should Be Dancing

Few songs I've been listening to almost non stop the past few weeks:

Also pretty much everything else I come across by Maneskin. Don't think I've heard a song I don't like yet. Thank you, Eurovision.

I was reminded that Chester Benningtion died 4 years ago yesterday. It reminded me of him singing on the Z-Trip album Shifting Gears.

This is just another song from the album that is kinda funny.

Starship - We Built This City

Had this one on repeat for days now. Working hard on learning the bass line. I'll never be able to play it like The Ox, but I will get as close as I can...

Dusty Hill died :( He was a very solid and pretty underrated bassist :salute: 

• Sad 1

Some more Dusty, a song where he takes the lead vocal:

This genuinely saddened me, I always loved his bass sounds. :( One of my faves:

ZZ Top - Mescalero

Lee 'Scratch' Perry died

Gotta spin some reggae and dub today in Scratch's honour :salute:  I have always really enjoyed this collab between him and King Tubby.

A crossover I didn't know I needed

I love this arrangement of "My Shining Hour"

One of my all-time fav Lips tracks. Play it as loud as possible and just let the song wash over you :music:

Those are some cool tracks. Great guitar playing in the second one. 

I’m working late tonight and listening to Cannonball Adderley. The song title feels appropriate. 

Listening to Loveless by my bloody valentine on repeat this week on my commutes. Such a good album, start to finish :music:

A couple of choice cuts:

This new Chick Corea Akoustic Band live album (from a 2018 recording) is fantastic. John Patitucci and Dave Weckl on bass and drums respectively. 3 incredible players.

Can’t say I know a thing about Billie Eilish but I stumbled upon this today and I think it’s pretty rad. Great performance.

Gotta say, I’m still pretty blown away by that Billie Eilish track. The album version is alright too, but I especially like the rendition on SNL. 

I was feeling like kicking back with some T Rex tunes today though, so The Slider is what I’m listening to right now. I love this album :music: And the title track is perhaps my fav T Rex song. 

Can't stop listening to this CLASSIQUE right now

Jimi Jamison - I'm Always Here

Pavement :shiny: I’m looking forward to hearing more of the extras and unreleased stuff that on the upcoming deluxe reissue of Terror Twilight.