Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
webhead

Politics? It's been a while so let's revisit.

Everyone has pretty much self selected into the forum they want to post on so I guess if you guys want to, we can open up to politics.  Slyph brought it up on the Londish call.

Thoughts?

I might actually need help with moderating if we're going to do this though.  That and people just be chill, no trolling, be respectful, etc.

• Like 1

It's not what I'm here for, but it certainly wouldn't bother me. Open the floodgates!

I never minded the subject since I lurked. I'm fine with it being in here too as long as it doesn't get....well for lack of a better way to say it, obnoxious in the discussions where it doesn't feel productive. :shrug:

given all the bullshit this year, it's really hard to talk about current events WITHOUT politics right now. So I am ok with it.

Doesn't bother me either way. I don't read the topics I don't feel like taking part in :shrug:

If we're gonna do it you think we can just do a topic or two and just keep it there?  I think people would rather it not branch out into every topic.

• Like 3

I am extremely happy for anything that will bring more members (who are not Voldemort) here.

A singular General Politics topic would do no harm.

A singular topic as and when specific massive events arise (such as BLM) would also be fine imo.

27 minutes ago, Garlic Junior said:

A singular General Politics topic would do no harm.

A singular topic as and when specific massive events arise (such as BLM) would also be fine imo.

This. :) Sorry for shooting down your suggestion that I take on mod powers, Slyph. I just cannot commit to it from the point of view of my mental state and how randomly I come back here every so often now (trying to post more but in deadline season I can still expect to disappear for a while). :lol: 

But srsly, I think unless anyone actively comes here to troll we'll be fine. I'd also just say that allowing politics discussion also could just come with the caveat that if things look like they're veering into the region of any kind of nastiness (trolling, ad hominems, overuse of memes instead of actual discussion) then wab/MT/any other admins can lock and/or delete threads and we'll move on and not fuss about it. (For my 2p, I'd nominate Tassi for more powers, if anyone - she's chill, friendly, pretty active here and probably the person who everyone would just be like "well, ok, that's that" if she decided to bring the hammer down on any discussions :unkeke: )

I have no problems with it.  I usually just read as opposed to participate, and I feel the people that the controversy normally swirls around aren't really interested in posting here even as a troll.  I also don't think it will bleed into other topics as that's not much of an issue here, and again, is something that would normally come from people that aren't here.

11 hours ago, webhead said:

If we're gonna do it you think we can just do a topic or two and just keep it there?  I think people would rather it not branch out into every topic.

The big catch-all threads become hard to follow after a while (unless we can improve the board's search tools or do something else to make it easier to browse and participate in threads that are many pages long)

I don't think it's necessary to limit the number of threads. I'd rather see more threads each focusing on different issues. It won't make a difference of there are one or 100 politics threads, we still need to be tactful and nice to each other even if we disagree. Anything that really  goes of the rails can be cleaned up by a moderator. 

2 hours ago, Jane said:

This. :) Sorry for shooting down your suggestion that I take on mod powers, Slyph. I just cannot commit to it from the point of view of my mental state and how randomly I come back here every so often now (trying to post more but in deadline season I can still expect to disappear for a while). :lol: 

But srsly, I think unless anyone actively comes here to troll we'll be fine. I'd also just say that allowing politics discussion also could just come with the caveat that if things look like they're veering into the region of any kind of nastiness (trolling, ad hominems, overuse of memes instead of actual discussion) then wab/MT/any other admins can lock and/or delete threads and we'll move on and not fuss about it. (For my 2p, I'd nominate Tassi for more powers, if anyone - she's chill, friendly, pretty active here and probably the person who everyone would just be like "well, ok, that's that" if she decided to bring the hammer down on any discussions :unkeke: )

I remember you literally just started laughing. :rotfl:

But yeah I'd love to have someone help mod that has the same sensibilities as you all do?  Truth be told, I tend to go more for light touch and I basically created this forum for the rest of you that wanted a sterner hand guiding it.  Hopefully I can get @Anelle to help and yeah, maybe @Tassifox do you think you'd have time to stick around as a mod as well?  Not sure if you actually want that. :lol:

26 minutes ago, little birdy said:

The big catch-all threads become hard to follow after a while (unless we can improve the board's search tools or do something else to make it easier to browse and participate in threads that are many pages long)

I don't think it's necessary to limit the number of threads. I'd rather see more threads each focusing on different issues. It won't make a difference of there are one or 100 politics threads, we still need to be tactful and nice to each other even if we disagree. Anything that really  goes of the rails can be cleaned up by a moderator. 

I can just make a forum as well if we think that's better.  I also think I'd like to hide that forum behind a login only deal for our own protection in a sense?  Does that make sense?  Would definitely be a lot easier in its own forum. :nod:

A separate forum will definitely make it easier for people who don't care about political discussions to ignore them.

I appreciate the vote of confidence from both Jane and you Web, (I'm actually kind of surprised :riiight: ) But I dunno if I'd really be all that good with it. I've never been a mod in anything before, which I know may not be as hard as I'm probably overthinking it to be. I honestly don't know if just hanging out in 1 or 3 threads would call me "pretty active", in fact I didn't myself as having much of a presence at all here. Plus with the group we got here vs the other Center Forums we may not need too much in modding really unless we get more new members that might require it.

Short answer: It's not so much of want/not wanting the position but more of I may just suck royally at it from inexperience. :koffing:

I would offer to be a mod but I already spend enough time breaking up arguments at home between my wife and 9 year old :rotfl: 

• ROFL 3

I trust this group to behave and just... talk. I'll be around more to help you, wab you just gotta a) remind me sometimes because i just forget things and b) LIVE STREAM THE GODDAMN EGG EATING IT'S BEEN LONG ENOUGH AND YOU FUCKING PROMISED

• ROFL 4

1 hour ago, Tassifox said:

I appreciate the vote of confidence from both Jane and you Web, (I'm actually kind of surprised :riiight: ) But I dunno if I'd really be all that good with it. I've never been a mod in anything before, which I know may not be as hard as I'm probably overthinking it to be.

Ah yes, I remember all my previous mod/admin experience before I became one on the Center.... :P

• ROFL 2

21 minutes ago, MT said:

Ah yes, I remember all my previous mod/admin experience before I became one on the Center.... :P

:dunce:  Just know I say this with love >>>> :thebirds2:

2 hours ago, Tassifox said:

I'm probably overthinking it to be.

:chaoxytal:

also, i forgot to add this because i was busy yelling at wab---- you'd make a fine mod, Tassi ❤️ Especially for a group like this, it's just basic cleanup and making sure Galeigh doesn't post his dick again.

• Like 1
  • ROFL 2

Says the Dickwitch :koffing:

Wait....that happened?

he was drugged up when he broke the fuck out of his leg and shared an xray that showed a liiiiil more than he realized

• ROFL 2

Honestly, if you just need a hand monitoring stuff, I wouldn't mind being a mod.  I know I don't post a lot here, and honestly I don't get too involved with political threads, but I usually read everything.  You could just let me know a rough guideline of the type of shit you'd need quelled, and I'd be happy to do it.  Not like this group should be much issue.

If Tassie decides she wants to do it, too, then we'd probably have enough bases covered for no eyes to miss anything.

Alright the forum is created.  @Hornet go for it bruh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anelle said:

he was drugged up when he broke the fuck out of his leg and shared an xray that showed a liiiiil more than he realized

You keep crackin jokes but I am just glad you had my back. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webhead said:

I remember you literally just started laughing. :rotfl: 

It really was "HAHAHAHAno" :rotfl:

16 hours ago, Tassifox said:

I appreciate the vote of confidence from both Jane and you Web, (I'm actually kind of surprised :riiight: ) But I dunno if I'd really be all that good with it. I've never been a mod in anything before, which I know may not be as hard as I'm probably overthinking it to be. I honestly don't know if just hanging out in 1 or 3 threads would call me "pretty active", in fact I didn't myself as having much of a presence at all here. Plus with the group we got here vs the other Center Forums we may not need too much in modding really unless we get more new members that might require it.

Short answer: It's not so much of want/not wanting the position but more of I may just suck royally at it from inexperience. :koffing:

I guess I haven't been active much so I'm maybe not great at knowing who is! But eh, I think anyone who's been friends with you on the center and fb knows you have a good heart and common sense, and a good sense of where the line is. It'd basically just be if you see people being idiots, close the thread (and in technical terms that's a case of ticking a box and pressing a button IIRC). But I'm not going to tell you to agree to do anything that I don't want to commit to doing myself :lol:  So either way. I agree with the folks saying that we probably don't need to worry too much. :unkeke:

• ROFL 2

I have friends? :ponder: .... :umyeah:

Seriously tho, I could try but I honestly don't think we'd need more than Nelle for this group right now. :P

On 6/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, Anelle said:

I trust this group to behave and just... talk. I'll be around more to help you, wab you just gotta a) remind me sometimes because i just forget things and b) LIVE STREAM THE GODDAMN EGG EATING IT'S BEEN LONG ENOUGH AND YOU FUCKING PROMISED

Update:

image.png.3c28007095208f90b437b11020bf2903.png

Thanks @Anelle for finally helping this end!

Oh also @Garlic Junior do please stick around and help mod. :thumbs:

Truth be told I don't think I'm going to quite have the same "cut it off" sensibilities than y'all do so I want to put others in charge of enforcing.  That said, yeah, I think it will probably be fine all on its own.

• Like 3

I thought she was saying she didn't get a thank you from me :confused:

She was.  It's a joke. :rotfl:

Yeah I'm making a more conscious decision to at least read everything daily now.

OSF is gonna be THE place to be :thumbs:

• Like 1