Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

What out-of-season anime have you watched recently?

For anime series and movies that haven't been released in the current season.

I'm gonna clear out some of the movies and things that I've gotten behind on while the quarantine is making things difficult for regular anime seasons

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva was a really well-animated movie, pretty perfectly captured the feeling of the games.

One sequence felt a little off

Layton and co get chased into a shed by wolves and there's a chainsaw inside it, instead of revving that shit up and cutting down some okami (I know this would never happen in this kind of game, but I also hate situations where you can see the simpler outcome), he macguyer'ed a goofy flying machine

ClampGrosky.png

Also this guy being voiced by Hochu Otsuka was great :lol:

For a week or so now, I've been watching one or two episodes of City Hunter every night before bed. I've got nothing decent left to read before bed and the library is still closed (until the end of June!). It's an 80's anime, just absolutely screams 80's, and it's a good mixture of dumb and fun and occasionally quite touching. So far (20-ish episodes in) it is mostly episodic, easy to follow along without having to remember much. All of it is on Crunchyroll, well over 100 episodes and a few movies, so City Hunter will be my bedtime story for the foreseeable future :nod:

I also still need to pick an anime to watch with my kiddo now that we've finished Flying Witch. I wasn't sure if she would find the slice of life style boring, because all of the other cartoons she watches are nothing like that, but she never seemed to lose interest.

Rewatched Godzilla - Planet of the Monsters

It's more like an Alien movie mixed with Attack on Titan. Really good bleak set-up, a lot of sci-fi analysis shit (the 3D effect really works with this)

Thing I loved best about it

... was at the end when they put down Godzilla, only to discover that was just baby Godzilla. Such a great "Well, fuck all of us I guess" moment

Watched Monthly Shoujou Nozuki kun that's on Netflix and rewatched some Slayer OVA's as of late. But with having focused on my room mate finally watching Air Bender Avatar, I haven't gone over other stuff.

We feel like watching a series again soonish... might dig out Gundam Seed. :)

• Like 1

I've been feeling the need to re-watch Gundam Wing again lately :nod:

• Like 1

Sword Art Online - Ordinal Scale

Expected it to be throwaway plot because anime movies tend to be, instead got Aincrad lore and events and pretty fight scenes ;_;

An Incarnation of the Radius was cool as fuck, and how they worked in unimportant SAO survivors in an emotional way

Actually got to watch Re: Zero Movie that I've been waiting for to pop up so that was total win.
And then for shits and giggles I started watching Master Mosquiton. Omg I forgot how much I loved this one.

Watched Godzilla 3: Planet Eater and rewatched Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale with THE BOYS.

Godzilla 3 was okay up until about halfway (these specific Godzilla movies are very technical and fast-dialogue heavy). The 3D animation was incredible. Just the story got too philosophical and not enough giant-monster-fighting.

The SAO movie was fucking great. I originally went into it thinking it'll just be some well-animated side-story like a lot of these are, but the everything about is just the right kind of SAO. Beautiful anime-Japan landscapes and city-shots and VR-scapes, amazing looking battle sequences, sheds further light on Aincrad, an uncensored version with ASUNA :lurk:. P. great.

I actually ended up watching Speed Grapher again since it was all loaded up on GoGo and I remember I used to watch it. Holy shit did I forget how fucked up it was on the XXX scale . :rotfl:

• Shiny 1

Man, I need to watch Speed Grapher again.

I burned through and finished Parasyte: The Maxim for the first time a week ago.  Man, what a rollercoaster of a show.  Didn't end quite how I thought it would, and managed to keep me guessing on some stuff towards the end.  I also loved the atmosphere.

• Like 2

Parasyte is fantastic :thumbs:

• Like 1

Apparently Erased is on Netflix now. I might have to give that one a re-watch soon :thinking2:

• Shiny 2

On 9/2/2020 at 6:34 AM, little birdy said:

Apparently Erased is on Netflix now. I might have to give that one a re-watch soon :thinking2:

Yup, totally rebinging that one

I wonder if it will be a bit less exciting on Netflix without the suspense of watching it weekly..? Still a great show anyways. 

I think that's a given with almost any show you've watched before with weekly breaks and then rewatching them. Same with some movies. But yes, still fucking great show.

This is like some sort of weird confession, but...

...we've been rewatching Naruto from the start. :lurk:

There are stupid moments where you're just like "...waht", but then you get to episode 30 (Sasuke v Orochimaru in the Forest of Death) and it's
sick :nanarock: However cringey this sort of series is perceived to be, seeing any animation that's that dynamic and exciting - in a mass-produced kids' TV cartoon of all places! - is brilliant to watch IMO. Ok, then a few episodes later the characters barely move and their eyes seem to be pointing in different directions in every shot, but still. :lol: I don't know how many episodes we'll go through (we're in the later part of the chuunin exam arc now), but for now it's good comfort viewing.

(is it a thing that shonen anime series get in the best directors/animators for episode 30 or something? Kenshin episode 30 is awesome too.)

From personal experience, Erased was lovely to watch a second time. It's definitely a different sort of tension with not waiting but it's such a good story. The end theme still makes my heart ache (in a good way)

@Jane I've been seriously considering doing that myself tbh. It's been so long. I still listen to music from that show and it makes me so nostalgic! 

oh, and I also slammed through all of Mirai Nikki the other week because I was just in the mood for it and really enjoyed it. The animation was better than I remembered it being for some reason, which threw me off. I dunno what brain wires got crossed there but that's how it felt.

• Like 1

I always enjoyed the original series, just didn't get into part 2.  One of these days I'll probably rewatch anyway.  Lol.

Still on the catchup with Boruto (harder to defend but I can still do it), but Naruto's mostly easy to defend as a great series (as long as we're skipping the filler, also can't defend the endless-anime animation valleys, don't Pain Arc me ;_;)

I'm about to start a Bleach rewatch in a day or so (one episode per day pace, so 7 per week), only watched it once, didn't finish the final arc before it got cancelled. Gonna watch the filler arcs too but haven't decided if I should watch those after I'm caught up on the main story or before

• Like 1

Naruto filler is definitely a skip.  I got this Naruto Kai thing so I could cut the shit down a bit and it's nice.  I got distracted and didn't finish before.  They did one for part 2 as well so maybe I'll eventually give that a try.

21 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

I'm about to start a Bleach rewatch in a day

Been tempted to do that myself but I just haven't gotten the push for it just yet.

I did a Bleach manga full reread and that was way more satisfying. Anime went too off the rails with filler stuff. All told the pacing got thrown way the hell off in the manga too but oh well

I ended up getting Xfinity's Flex box a ways back since it was no charge and gave more options for free streaming apps. One of which was Tubi and I'm surprised with how much anime it had on there. So I've binged Blue Six and Hells. 

Halfway through Episode 2 of Bleach and the music is so fucking on point. Opening, ending, background music.

Always had badass character designs too

There's a really, really, really good Boruto anime-canon (aka filler) arc that I'm super digging despite the flaws

The main bad guy launches a diversionary attack on the village and finds an old relic, Sasuke and Bort (teacher and pupil) head him off but accidentally mess up the relic and it sends them back in time to just after the Sasuke Retrieval mission. Ya see, the adults never told the kids that Sasuke went rogue or eventually tried to destroy the village, or that Naruto suffered awful hardship growing up due to being orphaned and being the Jinchuuriki of the Kyuubi, and Bort's always held some resentment for Naruto because Naruto as the Hokage is so busy working for the sake of everyone that he's missing out on his own family life. Being in the past is mega eye-opening for Bort as he starts figuring out all of this (noticing that Sasuke is not around, is not mentioned, is not in any old pictures, and even experiencing a moment of Jinchuuriki fear when Naruto's Kyuubi chakra goes wild).

The battles still suck because they're just not written well even at the best of times in Boruto, but some of them feels, man ;_;

(ESPECIALLY with Jiraiya because Shippuden did him dirty. I only experienced it once but the Pain Arc was a pretty big series low point except for a few moments (introducing the Rinnegan, Naruto saving the village and getting the hero's welcome, I think there was a moment with Hinata IIRC)

• Like 1

Binged GANGSTA last couple days. I forgot they never really finished it so I'm sad because it was a good one.

I finished BNA last night (watched the first 6 episodes earlier in the summer and then forgot about it for a while :lol:) It was an interesting watch. The middle was a bit slow, but it had an exciting finish. Sometimes I really liked the style, sometimes I didn't. The "us vs. them" story of humans and beastmen not being able to understand each is interesting given the world we live in now. And then the whole Nirvasyl Syndrome outbreak and vaccine stuff seemed rather fitting during the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm sure an anti-vaxxer would love that angle :rotfl: 

• Like 1

Only two City Hunter movies left for me to watch and them I'm done :crying: I guess the next thing to do is find the Angel Heart anime somewhere...

• Like 1

Welp, that's it for the City Hunter movies :sigh:  The most recent movie, Shinjuku Private Eyes, was done in 2019. Fantastic animation. I'd definitely recommend it for a little taste of what City Hunter is all about if you've never seen the anime or 90's movies. I think I'm gonna watch Shinjuku Private Eyes again this weekend :nod:

I found a live action version of Angel Heart on Crunchyroll but not the anime. But! Crunchyroll does have all of the Cat's Eye anime, so next I'm going a little further back in Hojo's catalog to a mid-80's anime about three cute sisters who are art thieves :love3:

ce.jpg

• Like 1

Binged Shimoneta: A world with out dirty jokes, shortly after the elections for good straight laughs, then Vol 1 and 2 of Vampire Princess Miyu. Tubi added some more stuff so I may watch 12 Kingdoms next.

I remember Shimoneta, that show was a barrel of laughs :rotfl:  

I'm still cruising along with Cat's Eye, one or two episodes a night.

• Like 1

I legit forgot how much they used for censoring in sounds and images and I died laughing. Then i realized how much this has aged to where this could one day be our future history if some things were to pass :lolgrin: :uhoh:

I recently watched Inuyashiki and really enjoyed it, I was super surprised (then not so surprised once I thought about it) that it was created by the same mangaka who did Gantz

Also I was late to the party but I watched and read Demon Slayer and thoroughly enjoyed it

Aaaaalso we rewatched all of Hajime no Ippo earlier in the year

I wonder if we'll ever get another season of Hajime no Ippo... :thinking2:

I WANT DIS ONREE

SAGASHI MOTOMERU

Inuyashiki was a violent and wildly entertaining trip. It can go from one of the more horrifying murders I've seen on anime to one of the best

The former = Shishigami shooting that father in the bathtub in the head and the weight drowns the young son, that was fucked up

The latter = Shishigami killing 4chan

Call me a big softie but I was more into the MC's reaction to the horrific shit

Nah, the anime wouldn't have been worth watching if Inuyashiki-ojii wasn't there to be the moral conscience

One of the most satisfying moments is when

Psychopathic Shishigami is confronted by Inuyashiki and realizes he's the villain of the story and starts crying over it

YURUSENAI

To be

QUITE HONEST

In this moment of honesty

I'm not having a bad time with the Bleach filler BOUNTO Arc

The Bount arc is great.

Until they prolong it like 5-10 episodes past where it should have ended and it just becomes redundant.

That right there is the sole reason I never bothered finishing Bleach.

• Sad 1

So since I've got new monitors now I've started going a bit apeshit watching things in glorious gorgeous quality so I tore through all of Gleipnir, which I've been excited about for a while because the manga is something I read the first few chapters in passing of then the scan group dropped it and I couldn't remember enough to find it again... until SUDDENLY IT'S AN ANIME so that's been nice and now I've been watching Uzaki-chan. I need to catch up on other stuff but it's been nice having relatively short seasons to binge with this. I never finished Shimoneta so maybe that'll be next....

• Like 1

Yeessssss watch Shimoneta! It's absolutely perfect to watch relatable wise to shit that happened this year!

I watched CyberSix and ex*Driver recently. And 12 Kingdoms before that.

What the fuck, when did Kimetsu no Yaiba become one of the best selling manga of all time and the movie become the highest grossing movie in Japan of all time?

Or more what I mean to say: When the shit did this become that massively popular? The anime was dope (and those visuals were stunning) but I never got the sense this was the next Shonen Jump OU- SAMA

(Also I guess I need to watch the movie because it's a sequel to the anime?)

Finished The BOUNTO arc in Bleach.

I'm actually kind of impressed with it. Almost 50ish eps of lower-than-series-standard-quality was probably horrifying to see live, but I thought the overall story structure was very Bleach-like, I liked the new doll characters, the bad guys had a cool power set and seemed like they would be something that's naturally part of the Bleach universe, some of the fights were cool (the Captains vs Bounto 1 vs 1 fights especially), and they even tried to fake character development, which I appreciated. The part at the beginning to introduce the dolls was pretty bad and I think the middle of the arc took a bit longer than it should've to get to SEIREITEI.

Also in other Bleach news, I completely forgot the Vaizard existed at all.

• Like 1

Tried watching Desert Punk but it was just too annoying with the main lead even for background noise so moved onto Arte, which I ended up enjoying.

Rewatching Black Cat since I knew I liked that one. Totally forgot how it started and it kinda reminds me of a smaller scale Cowboy beebop with the bounty hunters thing.

YESSSSSSSSSS JOIN US IN HIGURASHI HEAVEN OR HELL WHICHEVER YOU'D CONSIDER IT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Shiny 1
  • ROFL 1

I polished off Cat's Eye this week. Now that the NBA is back in full swing, I'll probably give the oldies a break because I'm gonna have basketball on the TV most evenings (unless COVID derails the season :lurk:)

Ok I'm finally binging Jujutsu Kaisen and I'm on ep 6 and 

Spoiler

ALL THESE PEOPLE JUST FUCKIN' BURNIN' HOLY SHIT THAT'S GRIM

• Like 1