Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Boss

What out-of-season anime have you watched recently?

I got a burst of "holy shit I can handle a show off my to-watch list" energy so I am crashing right into Tokyo Revengers. 4 eps in so far and I am hooked! I guess it's not technically out of season because didn't it just finish airing this month? but I know it first started airing earlier this year so whatever.

1 hour ago, Anelle said:

I got a burst of "holy shit I can handle a show off my to-watch list" energy so I am crashing right into Tokyo Revengers. 4 eps in so far and I am hooked! I guess it's not technically out of season because didn't it just finish airing this month? but I know it first started airing earlier this year so whatever.

This is really interesting timing, because a co-worker just told me today how they were getting into Tokyo Revengers and recommended it to me.  I guess I have to watch it now.

So after binging the anime and catching up on the manga uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this might not be something I recommend. I'm curious as to where it will go and will likely casually keep up but it starts going all over the place and dragging terribly. 

• Sad 1

On 9/30/2021 at 7:04 AM, Anelle said:

So after binging the anime and catching up on the manga uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this might not be something I recommend. I'm curious as to where it will go and will likely casually keep up but it starts going all over the place and dragging terribly. 

I'd agree with this 100%

It started great and had a good flow. Then just turned into a big pile of meh that slowed right down.

Yup, it started kinda like Erased but with a Japanese delinquent flair but it just became a slog pretty quick. It tries to present as a mystery but gives zero actual breadcrumbs or clues, all reveals are "oh well how the fuck should I have known that"

A friend of mine was saying the author used to be a delinquent so that's why he wrote the story. I have no idea how true that statement is but it's kinda neat.

yeye i've read about that, there's a pic and everything. Yankii culture is weird as hell

After a long layoff, me and the kiddo are back to watching Digimon Adventure (2020). We're at episode 62 now. I think at this point nearly all of the team has activated the crests on their Digivices, so I guess there's not much left but the final showdown. There have been some fun moments in these last few episodes. Each characters gets a little spotlight. But it's getting a bit long and drawn out too. I'm ready for it to be over.

Finally started watching Komi Can’t Communicate last night. I’m eight episodes in now and enjoying it so far. Komi is of course very easy to cheer for and my favourite character :love3:  Tadano is great too. The secondary characters are a mixed bag but they’re starting to grow on me. 

• Shiny 2

Yamai is the only one who still legit creeps me out for obvious reasons. We're gonna be getting new characters in S2 Spring season so it'll be interesting to see where that leads.
BUT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS JOIN US

Slow and steady, the supporting characters are growing on me. What an odd bunch. The Dragon Force girl is probably my fav so far :rotfl: 

• ROFL 1

Currently watching Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket with Ma :D

:highfive:

I’ve been thinking lately that I’m overdue to watch a Gundam something or other. Right now I’m leaning towards a Gundam Wing re-watch, since it’s been several years since my last trip down that memory lane :thinking2:

What others haven't you watched? I'm still lacking a lot of the modern ones but I'm gradually padding my knowledge of the classics lol.

Gundam Wing is still really good, rewatched it a year or so ago and loved it just as much! One of my super faves is also G Gundam, which is incredibly silly but a lot of fun.

There aren’t many Gundams left that I haven’t watched at least once. I’d have to look over a full listing of series, movies, etc. to remember everything :lolgrin: 

Wing is indeed still really good IMO. Not my favourite, the OG Gundam series are better, but really good anyway. And Wing happened to be the one that got me into Gundam during my formative teenage anime-watching years. It holds a special place :heart: I also agree that G Gundam is a blast!

A couple more recent candidates for a rewatch for me are IBO (fantastic stuff :shiny:) and G-Reco (it was confusing and I wanted to like it more than I actually did … but maybe it will be better the second time?)

In other news, me and the kiddo finally finished Digimon Adventure this week. The final battle was pretty great. But I think we could have got there in quite a bit less than 67 episodes. The series was too long overall but there were still lots of good moments in there. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, dr. b said:

There aren’t many Gundams left that I haven’t watched at least once. I’d have to look over a full listing of series, movies, etc. to remember everything :lolgrin:

I DEMAND YOU DO IT

• ROFL 1

I just finished Made in Abyss on Amazon since I've always been curious about it. It starts out cute enough and then it sneaks up in the darker parts. And even in the darker parts you still have moments of cuteness in them. I def recommend and I hope we get a 2nd season.

• Shiny 1

6 hours ago, Vic Boss said:

I DEMAND YOU DO IT

Working on it :lurk: 

Since Amazon prime has a good chunk of decent anime titles I've started browsing through. And I am rebinging and on S2 of Magic Knights Rayearth. My weeaboo heart is nestled happily in this and now I wanna watch all the CLAMP shows ending with Tsubasa again.

• Like 1

Mannn, War in the Pocket was even better than the first time I watched it ;_;>

War in the Pocket was so good!! Very bittersweet, but I enjoyed it a lot. :crying2:

I watched the new Spriggan mini-series on Netflix this week. Pretty good stuff. Animation quality dipped in a few spots, and the translation could have used some more proof-reading, but I enjoyed it overall. Hopefully there will be more. There was a post-credits scene in the final episode. 

• Like 1

Just finished Odd Taxi last night.  Holy shit, that's such a good show.  The mystery aspect, the art style, the way dialogue is handled, and then of course the plot reveals at the end.  Absolutely loved this show.  Excited to watch the movie later.

• Shiny 1

Odd Taxi was indeed very good. I kept praising it in the seasonal thread ... holy shit that was like two years ago now :rotfl: Anyways, nobody else got on board to discuss it with me at the time :-/ I loved everything about this one!

Yeah, I'm not always great at keeping up with shit when it's actually relevant :lol: But here I am now!  More people should definitely watch if they haven't.