Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
webhead

Marvel General

Well let's start this off with some big news here.

The Disney/Fox merger is now official.

Deadpool heads off to Kevin Feige who promises they're going to keep it rated R. :D

• Like 1

If there's not a mention of something about this merger in the Endgame stinger, I will be very surprised and disappointed. 

They're be insane to not make some kind of nod about the X-Men somehow.  I'm really hoping however they fix this issue has the consequence of the X-Men and FF suddenly having always been part of the universe or something. :lurk:

No way. Feige will throw that shit out and start over. I read a cool idea the other day, that they should introduce everyone via Doom. Have what's left of the Avengers have to fight him for some reason, and when they beat him they break some kind of machine that's been keeping the Fantastic Four from existing in the current timeline, and now they're back.

That or however they un-snap folks causes the X-gene, and suddenly mutants.

I don't think they should tie in the FOX timelines at all. 

I meant a completely new set of X-Men (not the current incarnation just showing up).  I just don't want the Fantastic Four and X-Men to be newbies to the MCU that were just discovered or whatever because that would be annoying.

I like your ideas though.  Similar to what I had in mind.  The other one, for the Fantastic Four that I've seen floated before, is that they go into the negative zone or something and then get stuck there for a long time (like Janet in Ant Man).

I think Fantastic Four will come first. I think they've already been prepping the MCU for the Fantastic Four.

1) The X-Men movies have been solid. Not great and not horrible. They still have Dark Phoenix coming out this year and I think that will delay them a few years.

2) Fantastic Four has had 3 tries and none of them really landed. It's much easier to let go of those movies and forget them than the X-Men movies in the short term immediate future.

3) I'm 99% sure the new owner of Avengers Tower that we didn't conveniently meet in Homecoming is Reed Richards. That will setup Avengers Tower to become the Baxter Building. 

4) A lot of purists won't like this, but got streamline purposes I believe the Negative Zone and the Quantum Realm are going to be the same thing in the MCU.

5) It would be easy to retcon Reed and his family into the Ant-Man lore with Hank Pym. They discovered the Quantum Realm together back in the 60s. That should be where the first Fantastic Four movie takes place. End result of the movie is them getting stuck in the quantum realm like Janet and getting sucked into a time vortex. They would finally escape in present time, having not aged at all. 

6) Post credit Endgame is Happy handing the keys to the new owner of Avengers Tower and asking his name, to which he replies Reed. End of credit scene.

That all sounds pretty likely and I'm cool with it.  Quantum Realm and Negative Zone don't really have to be separate things.  Reed can still find a way to fly around there eventually. :D

Saw someone on Reddit earlier with a theory that the people that got snapped were sent to the Quantum Realm. That realm does something to people (like how Janet could suddenly heal Ghost), and reversing the snap brings people back to reality, but with abilities, and thus the X-Men can be a thing.

I'm not sure I love that theory. I would prefer them being there all along in hiding over that. 

I did read a theory that Thanks will be defeated in the first 20 minutes and the rest of the movie is trying to undo the snap.

27 minutes ago, Deimos said:

I did read a theory that Thanks will be defeated in the first 20 minutes

That bastard Thanks is going to pay!

• Like 1

One thing I'd love for them to do some point down the line (though I honestly am not expecting them to) when the X-Men start being rolled into the MCU would be to do the stuff with Rogue and Ms. Marvel from the comics. Would be a good way to rein in Carol's power if they need to and would make an interesting story and could start Rogue off as a bad guy that way.

1 hour ago, Deimos said:

I'm not sure I love that theory. I would prefer them being there all along in hiding over that. 

Maybe the Quantum Realm is what unlocks the x-gene? Like, the people were already mutants before getting snapped, they just weren't "active".

I REALLY hope that's not what they do. Not because it couldn't come out to make sense but because it'd start them all off way too young and they'd be starting over. I'm not into that. 

We just had 3 X-Men movies with a 4th coming about how they came to be. I really don't want to go through that again. 

A way to introduce them logically in a way that they have always been there would be great. 

The immediate best option I can think of is Professor X has been mind wiping all encounters with mutants to protect them. It'd be similar to Reed erasing the memories of Sentry from everyone's minds. 

Xavier has decided post-snap that it's time they stopped hiding.

• Like 1

Yes I most definitely wan to see the X-Men hit the ground running.  I think a lot of people want that because we don't want to start completely over (though I don't want everything to have passed by either).  I figure they get a Fantastic 4 movie on their belt, introduce Doom, then we get a new X-Men where the team isn't brand new but they haven't had everything happen (Genosha, Phoenix, etc).  They need to wait a long time before they do a Phoenix movie though obviously. :rotfl:

I'm kinda sad that the Apocalypse movie was kinda meh and the Phoenix movie looks meh because those are 2 fucking great arcs.  Honestly like...the cartoon did both of those better. :shrug:

I think something akin to what Homecoming did is definitely ideal.  Maybe they haven't fought any iconic villains yet, but they've been telling as X-Men for a while now.  Origin stuff can be handled in brief conversation or quick remarks.

The question is, do you factor in Magneto or go elsewhere first to stay away from being repetitive?

• Like 2

I secretly wish for them to keep the Magneto and Professor X actors because they are phenomenal but I'm 110% sure that won't happen.

Still I mean...you've gotta use Magneto but maybe you don't have him be the complete focus of their first outings.  He can be in the world and they can get to him eventually.

I kind of hope they start with Deadly Genesis. It would check a lot of boxes. 

- Introduce the first team Xavier recruited that was killed.

- Tells an early story of the second team being sent in and getting trapped.

- The new team (3rd) is recruited to go save them. 

- Drama with Xavier not telling anyone about the dead team and if they should trust him.

You get past, present and future while introducing a villain we haven't seen on screen yet, Vulcan. The third Summers brother. 

That would be cool just because it would be something different that we haven't seen.  They wouldn't have to deal with Vulcan right away either so that gives them characters to play with.

Seems like too many teams of X-Men to me, at least to start.

Not necessarily. The original dead team would only be used in flashbacks. The original team we know (Jean, Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast) would also mostly be flashbacks. The third team that rescued them (Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus and others) would also be flash back.

The characters with the dominant screen time would be those in for present, having to deal with Vulcan. The rest are already dead, off doing different things, or still there. 

You get to introduce a ton of characters to setup in the future while focusing on maybe 7 main characters in the movie itself. 

I am pretty sure the writers have been working on the how for a while. In Agents of Shield they really hammered home the point that "There are no Psychics"

What if they think that because Charles Xavier removed the memories of them from the global consciousness via cerebro and whatever undoes the snap reverses that too. 

Now you have the psychics back in the spotlight and many who were thought to be inhumans turned out to be mutants. Ending a decades long attempt to hide themselves. 

I like this idea

BcOO7kY.jpg

Yes please.  I really hope they give it to John and Emily.  They've actively been campaigning for it haven't they?

My only concern would be if John K can actually not be a cool guy lol.  Reed Richards needs to be a nerd.

I dunno about Fassbender. I want to say yes but he's Magneto. It would have to be way down the line if they used him to distance him from that role. 

Personally, I want a foreign actor. I'd take Christoph Waltz.

Yeah I'm all about Reed and Sue but Fassbenser is an odd choice.  Magneto is quite a bit like Doom sometimes but he just played the character and that would be weird.

I love Christopher Waltz too but I'm not sure about that either.  You know who I could really see doing it?  Joaquin Phoenix.  I feel that is dumb now though since he's doing Joker.  I dunno.

Armie Hammer could work too.

I keep thinking about Christopher Waltz though and maybe that could work.  He's good looking and God damn he can play an evil character.

Dan Stevens has been suggested a lot too. 

3hr 2min run time for Endgame

Good. A follow up like that shouldn't be short. 

I also possibly read a full synopsis of the movie and it's gonna be legit if that synopsis is partially true but I'm not fully convinced it is.

I haven't even watched trailers. I wanna go in as fresh as possible.

So much hype!

X-Men not coming any time soon :( 

Also, why is the DC TV topic pinned, but not this one...or any of those for that matter?

So active I just forgot.  You have the power to PIN things, you realize? :rotfl:

On the X-Men thing, I'm not totally surprised but I don't think that's completely set in stone either.  I don't want them to rush something out that's garbage so having a 1 or 2 year turnaround was not in the cards anyway.  I am actually hoping the first Fox property is Fantastic Four.  They need to do right by them because they've had 3 movies and one of them was okay at best. :-/

47 minutes ago, webhead said:

So active I just forgot.  You have the power to PIN things, you realize? :rotfl:

I'm well aware, thank you.

Saw an article saying that the next phase is going to be similar to Captain Marvel in that it'll be stuff set in the past which is hopefully means they want to establish the FF as an early in thing. Could totally do a "stuck in the Negative zone" style thing with them or something at the end of their movie and then bring them back post Endgame from whatever gets shit reset.

Also saw another article talking about how the Russo brothers shot a lot of the stuff in the Endgame trailer specifically FOR the trailer to throw people off of what the story will actually be in the movie because they were tired of people analyzing the living fuck out of every frame of the trailers. XD

I also want a Rocket and Goose (Chewie) meetup at some point in one of these movies because their interactions were always great in the comics. :rotfl: 

Spoiler

HhG2r2b.png

• Like 1
  • ROFL 2

Omg yes please!

I wonder why.  Tuesday is just such a random ass day to release a movie. :blink:

Cause Disney can do whatever it wants apparently 

Or, you know, Sony. Since it's their movie and their decision. Marvel just produces for the standalone Spider-man movies (and I think they have merchandising rights). Sony 100% finances, distributes, and rakes in the box office revenue for them.

I still think this Spidey arrangement with Sony has been a net plus for both companies.  Hopefully they don't try any bullshit and just keep a good thing going when the current deal is up.  They'd be insane to not.  Spider-Man was languishing really badly before Marvel stepped up.  That MCU tie in is fucking printing money.

Yeah. I'm worried Sony will get a big head and fuck things up. The deal was for 5 movies total and that will be up after Endgame and FFH. ?

They will hopefully just renew the current deal and call it good, but you never know.

They might think they're hot shit after Venom but I feel like they know the incredible value they get from Spidey being tied to the MCU.  They'd be fucking insane to put that in danger.  On the other hand, I could see Marvel fucking it up too by being greedy because...Disney. :P

Saw venom today. Legit a good movie. The dynamic between Eddie and venom was perfect. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by it and really want to see a sequel. Movie had some pacing and tone issues, but you can tell the people working on it actually gave a shit and wanted it to do well.  Changes from the original story were understandable, and as much as Hardy's version of Brock is a bit of a departure from the character (less so with how he is now in the comics I guess), I really liked how he played him regardless of the fact. 

• Like 1

Was a decently fun movie but he's definitely pretty different from the Brock most of us know (though the loser aspect still is right on lol).  I liked the movie.  I just wish they weren't erasing the Spider-Man connection.