Old School Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT

Last Movie Watched

I, Robot

Was aight. Played with sci-fi concepts that had been done to death even by 2004 nevermind today but I like Asimov shit and there was certainly Asimov style shit in here (detectives working through mystery murders involving robots that can't murder due to the Three Laws of Robotics) The action probably wasn't needed but it didn't hurt, I guess.

It's also always funny watching movies involving AI where apparently Terminator 2 and The Matrix never happened and everyone's all just "Come on, fool, robots can't hurt people ever for any reason, how could you ever dream up something silly like that?" Oh, I don't know I watch blockbuster sci-fi movies once in awhile, coach

• Like 1

Independence Day - Resurgence

Doesn't work as well without Will Smith, charismatic actors to be a new generation, and humans having hybrid alien technology.

Cool Star Wars pew pew pew fights tho

• Like 2

Baby Driver

Fun car stuff, good energy, I liked the music gimmick... It's kind of like Edgar Wright making a movie whose premise is one of his trademarky "things". Basically an AMV writ large.

Unsatisfying ending.

• Like 2

Creed 2 Good movie, still need to see the first one. Was actually happy for the Dragos at the end.

HTTYD 3 Satisfying conclusion for the final movie, a bit of a tearjerker for me

Lego Movie 2 As fun as the first one and reminded me  of my cringy sibling rivalry moments lol.

• Like 1

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

It was alright. Definitely not my favorite Tarantino movie by a long shot. Not really sure what else to say.

Joker

I liked it more than I thought I would. Very unsettling movie to watch, but that's what the movie is going for. I get why they cast DeNiro in the movie, but he didn't really fit the character. It was just DeNiro as himself, really 

I think showing Thomas & Martha Wayne's murders was kind of unnecessary.

4 hours ago, MT said:

Joker

I liked it more than I thought I would. Very unsettling movie to watch, but that's what the movie is going for. I get why they cast DeNiro in the movie, but he didn't really fit the character. It was just DeNiro as himself, really 

Hide contents

I think showing Thomas & Martha Wayne's murders was kind of unnecessary.

Agreed.  I liked the movie but I don't think I'd watch it again....at least not for a while. :lol:

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

I really enjoyed this, it was nice to get some actual closure to Jesse's life, something I never thought we'd get once the series ended six years ago.

Nah, I gotta play the Galeigh card here. It was boring as shit and only detracted from the source material.

Eli on Netflix is hot garbage also. Avoid.

Went and saw Knives Out with my mom for Thanksgiving. I really enjoyed it. Didn't see the ending coming at all.

You know who killed him about halfway through the movie, so the rest of it is just kind of trying to figure out what the heck is going on, since it's hard to tell if everyone's telling the whole truth or not. None of the stories seem to match up completely, so you're left guessing.

• Shiny 1

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I'd give it a high 7/low 8. I had a few minor issues, but I had a good time and am looking forward to seeing it again. I felt better coming out of the theater after this than I did watching Last Jedi for the first time, although i've come around on TLJ since. 

CHEWIE FINALLY GOT HIS FUCKING MEDAL!!! :mosh:

I wish there had been somewhat more of an explanation as to how Palpatine survived/lived that entire time. Was he a clone created on that planet whose name I can't remember, or did he somehow escape there after being tossed in that Death Star pit? And why did he put that Sith Wayfinder thing in the Death Star? I mean, it was a cool location to have a fight and everything, but at the time I can't think of a good reason why he would've left it there while the Death Star II was being built. My only other minor complaint is Rey taking the name Skywalker at the end there. I get why she did it, but she's not a Skywalker. My only other minor gripe that comes to mind at this moment is the kiss between Rey and Ben, it felt kind of unearned. Oh, and the CGI young Leia didn't really look like her at all to me.

Just as I thought, Leia's last scene was a tearjerker, and just when I had started to recover, Han showed up. I didn't start crying full on, but I did have a tear run down my cheek. I'm assuming Leia died because she was reaching out to Ben as Rey stabbed him.[/spoiler]

Grizzly Man

A really fascinating documentary about this guy who for a number of years would travel to Alaska and live with the bears up there every summer. Eventually, bears do what bears do and they killed him. It was hard to put down, and definitely worth watching.

There's a TV series of a guy who lives on his own and has befriended a ton if bears, black, brown etc. They've made it illegal for him to feed them as they're concerned they'll eventually kill him and be too bold at coming close to other humans.

Fascinating. Terrifying. 

Watched 'Color Out of Space' and 'Terminator: Dark Fate' over the weekend.

Color Out of Space was better than I was hoping for. Lovecraft's work is notoriously difficult to translate to other mediums and this is probably one of the best examples I've seen. They changed what they needed to to modernize it and make it work for a movie, but did a wonderful job of keeping the spirit of the story intact. Some really cool visual effects and cinematography all around. Definitely worth seeing if you're a Lovecraft fan.

Terminator: Dark Fate was also better than I was expecting but not what I hoped it would be considering Cameron's involvement. Still can't hold a candle to the original two, but I don't think anyone expected it to. Feel like this movie would have been a LOT more interesting if we didn't have like 4 other Terminator sequels floating around between 2 and this one to muddy the waters so much. There was some good content, but in the end it felt a little too much like concepts retooled from the original T3 into a soft reboot. The opening, which appears to be the thing that set most people against the film overall, was probably the most interesting part to me. Though it did kind of undermine the series as a whole, that was probably the point. As much as I liked what they did, it did ultimately serve to essentially rip the spirit of the series to pieces before the movie had even begun.  The de-aging tech used in the movie was the best I've seen to date though by far. It was good enough that at first I thought maybe the scene they used at the beginning might have been an unused alternate ending from T2. XD

I definitely recall people saying that Dark Fate was supposed to act as if the movies after 2 never happened, so the soft reboot thing is probably accurate.

• Like 1

Yeah. It full on ignores anything after 2 I knew that going into it (and they make it very clear in the first couple minutes of the movie). The annoying part was more that it felt like they just revamped the main premise of the 3rd movie but in reboot form. Which is to say Judgement Day is inevitable, Terminators gonna terminate, etc.

Definitely not paying money to see it but I'll watch it eventually.  I read the soilers about the opening and it's just fucking dumb honestly.

Just watched Birds of Prey, I liked it more than I thought I would. Definitely erases the shit stain that was the original Suicide Squad. Calling it Birds of Prey is kind of misleading since they aren't really that until near the end. They're in the entire movie, but they don't really come together for a while. They definitely don't make Harley part of it, she's just sort of the vehicle that brings them together.

I'd say so, I had a good time with it.

• Like 1

Xfinity is doing free movie week right now so I've been playing around with what movies I can watch that I've been meaning to. 

Brightburn being one of them. Still watching it right now but holy fuck this movie. Idk why it seems to have a poor rating when this has some pretty intense shit. 

Spoiler

I legit had to close my eyes in the scene where the waitress's eye had the glass shard dead center in it because I was squirming like crazy it was hard to watch

On 2/8/2021 at 10:30 PM, MT said:

I'd say so, I had a good time with it.

Probably been my favourite DC movie since Dark Knight, maybe second favourite behind Wonder Woman. Some of the pacing seemed slow (like, Deadpool did the flash back forward back forward sideways non linear shit well, BOP felt like an imitation) but overall ye, good.

Yeah, I thought Birds of Prey was really fun.  It wasn't like a perfect movie (the other characters might as well have not been there), but damn it...it was fun.  I'd watch that again...the original Suicide Squad movie...I'd rather not have seen. :P

Did anyone watch I Care a Lot on Netflix yet? It was actually way better than I expected. 

Ended up getting HBO Max a couple weeks ago because I like what they're doing for movie releases and there is honestly a lot of good stuff on there.

Ended up watching "The Little Things" since it seemed interesting and had a really solid cast and was the new movie when I picked the service up. Movie was kind of not good though. Setup is really misleading and has no real resolution outside of the character/interpersonal story. Turns into a sort of "MAKES YOU THINK, HUH!?!?" type movies which is FINE, but you need to, you know, actually resolve the main plot of the fucking movie, thanks. Their attempted "twist" at the end was also incredibly predictable. 

Rewatched Galaxy Quest with the bf, he'd never seen it before. It still holds up

• Like 2

Galaxy Quest is one of those movies overlooked during it's release, but aged like fine wine. It had way more depth than people gave it credit for back then. 

Friend got me to finally watch Coming to America 2. They actually did a pretty decent job carrying over a lot of the old jokes. 

Watched a few this weekend:

Nobody - This was a lot of fun. Solid comedy and acttion. Best way I can describe it is "John Wick, but with Bob Odenkirk". Also contains a shotgun weilding Christopher Lloyd, so there's that.

Psycho Goreman - Another fun movie. Weird as fuck and kind of gorey but in a campy 80s "Toxic Avengers" sort of way. General feel of the movie reminded me of "Turbo Kid" which I had also enjoyed. 

Monster Hunter - Enjoyed this more than I expected. Dumb, fun action movie loosely connected to a video game. Ie: What Milla Jovovich does best. Really like the mo stereo designs and they seem true to the source material as far as I'm aware. Ending was annoying as fuck though. If I wanted a bullshit, mid-action cliffhanger ending, I'd go watch some anime.

Finally got around to finishing Zack Snyder's Justice League. I ended up watching it in parts, and overall it's definitely better than the first version, although that's not saying a whole lot. The scene with Leto's Joker was...fine, I guess? The version he portrays in this is 1000x better than the one in Suicide Squad, but he's still not doing the Joker justice. Granted, it's only a few minutes.

Yeah, it's better but still trash. :lol: 

RE: Joker.  It was still stupid.  Little childish as well.  I honestly fucking hate Leto's joker.

We went and saw Demon Slayer: Mugen Train last wednesday, was a blast to see it in a theater!! 

We were supposed to go see Godzilla vs Kong in a theater with my MIL but there was some unavoidable family shit going on and we just couldn't time it right. Lee had already watched it but I'd been holding out hoping to go with her but since it was leaving HBO Lee sat with me and we watched it together on the last day it was available.... then the very next day she texts me and tells me she and her husband just went and saw it! Oh well. 

Watched The Mitchells vs. The Machines on Netflix at home today, absolutely stellar movie! I'd love to watch that in a theater, the visuals were fun and it was such a fun movie. I do have a BIG nitpick about a scene with a possum but I'll let it slide.

• Like 1
  • Shiny 1

Finally watch Bill and Ted Face the Music. And while there were some good moments here and there. Overall I felt a little "meh" on it. Like it pretty much was a rehash of their first movie with some minor changes here and there.

Wonder Woman 84

I wasn't bored watching this, but my god are there a lot of inconsistencies and problems. This about covers it:

5/10, maaaaaaybe a 6, but that's pushing it.

Watched "Those Who Want Me Dead". It wasn't too bad. Nothing overly memorable about it, but I wasn't bored watching it. Probably would have never bothered to see it if not for the HBO Max thing with new movies though.

Also started watching "The Devil All the Time" but not sure if I'll finish it. Some great acting in it, but god damn is it miserably  depressing so far. Stopped halfway through because I had to do some other stuff and not sure if I have the heart to go back to it. X_x 

Binged a ton of movies last week

No remorse

Knives out 

Guns Akimbo

7 psychopaths

3 were pretty fun to watch and to anyone who can guess which 1 movie hit the feels really hard lol.

• Shiny 1

I haven't seen the last one, but I fucking love KO and GA was fun to watch. Makes the Daniel Radcliff memes more fun now knowing the content.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c7a3d36868433a7a2d1564731d4cb0ff.png

image.thumb.png.820e445f7642103315f28d71d43ebc40.png

image.png.5ad73e5cc6223793186e142c7c8afd05.png

• ROFL 2

Just got out of Black Widow. I really liked it, I'd say it's a high 7, low 8 out of 10. David Harbour was awesome, and I hope he gets to come back in the future.

The huge dude he arm wrestles in prison was called Ursa, which is most likely Ursa Major. I think Harbour even calls him a bear at one point. I kinda figured Taskmaster was a woman, the character was incredibly slender, but they did a good job of hiding it, and I didn't see the twist of it being the bad guy's daughter coming.

There's only one credits scene, and it's at the end. Here's what was in that scene at the end:

The lady from Falcon & Winter Soldier, whose name escapes me, that visited Walker at the end, tells Widow's sister (Yelena) that Hawkeye killed Natasha. I guess Yelena already works for her?

On 7/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, MT said:

Just got out of Black Widow.

There's only one credits scene, and it's at the end. Here's what was in that scene at the end:

Reveal hidden contents

The lady from Falcon & Winter Soldier, whose name escapes me, that visited Walker at the end, tells Widow's sister (Yelena) that Hawkeye killed Natasha. I guess Yelena already works for her?

Just got home from seeing it. I agree, I give it a solid 8. Jokes and references were good. Story played out pretty straight through. It didn't feel like a 2hr ish movie and I think the action scenes are what made it feel like that. 

As for the credit scene. 

Spoiler

NOOOOO NOT THAT PART OF THE TIMELINE! 😭

THAT FUCK8NG WHORE VALENTINE! I HOPE SHE GETS WHAT'S COMING TO HER. 

Yep, saw Black Widow last night. Definitely put it in the 7/10 range. Not bad but not great. I loved the opening 30 minutes or so. It felt really grounded and gritty. Then as the main Scarjo part started unfolding I just got less and less invested. Got too goofy for me after David Harbour got added back in.

• Like 1

Watched Annette starring Adam Driver. Wouldn't have expected him to be a decent singer. The doll they use for Annette is creepy AF and while I understand the reason they probably went with a puppet for the imagery of this movie instead of a real kid. Still creepy AF. I was warned it was a weird movie and it definitely has some interesting weird shit with the music. Overall not bad.

Free Guy

Real fun movie, lots of cameos and Easter eggs to look out for. Some stupid game related shit that was most likely only put in the movie to add to the drama/strife, but it was easy to look past.

• Like 1

Raya, it was alright. The characters and their design really stood out to the highlight of the film.

Finally got to see Moana, and yeah, fuckin' waterfalls from my face. It hits close to home personally with the emotional bits and it'll be a while before I watch it again.

• Like 1

Moana is so good!

• Like 1

The Matrix Resurrections

I'd give it about a high 7/low 8. I don't really think it needed to be made, and it could have been a bit shorter, but I enjoyed my time with it.

The new takes on Morpheus and Smith were interesting, although I really missed the original interpretations of those characters. Seeing Trinity learn to fly was a nice touch, and it was interesting to see Neil Patrick Harris as a villain.

Also just watched the new Matrix.  Movie felt kind of pointless.  6 or 7 at most?  I feel like nothing particularly interesting happened because

Spoiler

we just spent an entire movie watching them both get out of the Matrix.

Fell pretty flat for me. :shrug:

Eternals

It was...fine. I feel like it went on way too long, but it was fun watching them fight each other in the end. Not exactly sure who the voice belonged to in the final credits scene.

1 hour ago, MT said:

Eternals

It was...fine. I feel like it went on way too long, but it was fun watching them fight each other in the end. Not exactly sure who the voice belonged to in the final credits scene.

The director confirmed it was Mahershala Ali, and the voice is meant to be Blade.

Is there some history between the two characters I don't know about, or is it just because they both use swords?